ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville UCS1 vs UCS1P  (Read 12129 times)

Phillip Mispagel

Yorkville UCS1 vs UCS1P
« on: June 22, 2008, 06:56:54 PM »

I'm curious about the power and SPL rating differences between the UCS1 and UCS1P.

The UCS1 has a program power of 1000 watts with an SPL rating of 132db.  The UCS1P has a program power of 1500 watts with the same SPL rating of 132db.

Is this correct?  What is the additional 500 watts used for, if not to push out more sound?

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Re: Yorkville UCS1 vs UCS1P
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:01:39 PM »

Apples to Oranges.

One is the driver - speaker rating; the other the internal amp ratings.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Matt Vivlamore

• http://www.meerkatsound.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »

I am pretty sure Tony has hit it on the head.

From what I have been told (from Yorkville), the UCS1 and UCS1P are using the same driver.
Find us on the web at: meerkatsound.com

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Phillip Mispagel

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 02:38:38 PM »

Yep, thank you for the info.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:56:48 AM »

FWIW the two models do not use the same driver, the powered version has a larger voice coil.  While they will sound similar as far as I am aware, they have made other changes to the powered version and it is not directly compatible with the passive version.

Matt Vivlamore

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 11:26:09 AM »

I am just reporting what Yorkville told me about the drivers...  

Quote:

The woofer used in the Unity subs has a ferrite magnet (P/N: 7447).

The U15 and U15P use the same HF and MF drivers.  However the LFs are different, the U15 uses an 18Sound woofer and the U15P uses a B&C woofer.

I was asking about ordering some replacement drivers for my Unities and I asked if there was a difference in the drivers between the powered and non-powered speakers.  I was going to order spares to have on the shelf just incase something happened.

Conversation was dated: March 2008

Things may have changed since then.  Does anyone have a parts order catalog to confirm the part numbers are the same or different.

Right now, I am debating about buying 2 more UCS1 and a Pro9200/PL380 amp OR selling the 2 UCS1 and buying 4 UCS1Ps.

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Todd Michael

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 04:27:49 PM »

The UCS1 and UCS1P use the exact same driver.

Todd Michael
Yorkville Sound
VTC Pro Audio

Randy Frierson

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 01:01:59 AM »

look at the yorkville web site, by the specs they show they use a different driver, so which is it a 3" v/c or a 4" v/c..
Not to bash yorkville but i ordered 4 UCS1P's, (1) out of the box had limiter issues, got replacement and then another failed again with limiter issue.. we are sending all 4 back as customer has no faith and wants something else, what I will say is they sounded great, very impressive, if they get the limiter issue fixed they are a great value and have gobs of output...R

Todd Michael

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:43:42 AM »

The voice coil is 3".

Todd

Mike Pyle

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 10:03:23 AM »

What was the issue with the limiter?
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 10:49:59 AM »

Todd Michael wrote on Thu, 26 June 2008 07:43

The voice coil is 3".

Todd

Hi Todd,
Can you please change your website to reflect this.  The powered version currently shows 4" VC

Also I can't recall where but believe I heard something about the interior cabinet dimensions/horn being adjusted somewhat from the passive to the powered model.  Are they directly compatible or not?

Thanks
Jeff

Randy Frierson

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 11:40:57 AM »

My rep says they have never had this issue, but I'd like to hear from actual people who owns them, maybe i just got 4 out of a bad batch...They get loud and sound real good for the money, very well built, i was a little shaky about the way the amp is mounted`in there as i wanted to lay these on their sides and couple horns, but just rolled them out on their wheels, 2 really did a decent job under 4 850's..i was pleasantly surprised  R

Todd Michael

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 04:51:15 PM »

I checked the website after first reading your post and I could not find any mention of a 4" coil for the powered version, and I still can't. I will ask the web guys to double check though.

The powered cabinet is the same in all details except it is wider to accommodate the amp, dimensions are on the web site. The powered cabinet with the slightly larger horn (wider = more horn volume) has a little more output down lower in its response. Yes they are compatible.

I have not heard of any limiter failures to this date, and I would have if there was a problem. That is still no excuse for the 4 units you received and I will follow up with our Service Department to find out more details.

Todd Michael
Speaker Design Lab
Yorkville Sound
VTC Pro Audio

Paul Magro

• http://www.valleysound.net
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 06:51:18 PM »

I've got 6 of the UCS1's and I couldn't be happier.  For me running passive is the way to go as my setup changes and I can use the power amps for different speakers as need be.  I run them 4 or 8 ohm off a couple of PLX 3602's.  Gobs of low end for the festivals with the dub bass jam bands!  If I had an install, I would go the powered route.  Apples to oranges!
Paul Magro
Valley Sound
http://www.ValleySound.net

tom hughes

• http://myspace.com/djtomfoolery
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 03:59:03 AM »

UCS1 and UCS1p mating?
Can the UCSP1 handle 4 ohm? Seems as if it should. I was wondering if i could take a pair of usp1 and add in a connector to run a usp in tandem from the amp pack? Anyone thought of trying this? My only fear I think would be over heating, but with two fans it should stay cool, right?
I assume if it was that easy people would already be doing it on this forum, so please explain to me what the issues would be.
  Tom

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 04:18:07 PM »

Todd Michael wrote on Thu, 26 June 2008 16:51

I checked the website after first reading your post and I could not find any mention of a 4" coil for the powered version, and I still can't. I will ask the web guys to double check though.

The powered cabinet is the same in all details except it is wider to accommodate the amp, dimensions are on the web site. The powered cabinet with the slightly larger horn (wider = more horn volume) has a little more output down lower in its response. Yes they are compatible.

Todd Michael
Speaker Design Lab
Yorkville Sound
VTC Pro Audio

Thanks Todd,
The website is indeed correct now.  2 units just came in, looking forward to listening.

Jeff

Matt Vivlamore

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 04:25:43 PM »

Jeff did you get in 2 UCS1 or 2 UCS1Ps?  

can you compare both against each other and see how they react and such.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 04:28:01 PM »

tom hughes wrote on Sat, 19 July 2008 03:59

UCS1 and UCS1p mating?
Can the UCSP1 handle 4 ohm? Seems as if it should. I was wondering if i could take a pair of usp1 and add in a connector to run a usp in tandem from the amp pack? Anyone thought of trying this? My only fear I think would be over heating, but with two fans it should stay cool, right?
I assume if it was that easy people would already be doing it on this forum, so please explain to me what the issues would be.
  Tom

Seems like a perfect way to void your warranty...

I would definitely NOT try this.  It might possibly work but will increase your risk of damage.  The amp probably is not going to give you double the power at 4 ohms that it does at 8, meaning you will push it harder and risk thermaling it faster too.  The amp is most likely optimized specifically for best power/performance at the impedance it is driving.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.