ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Subs  (Read 13809 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: Mini Subs
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 08:01:15 AM »

Here is the SH mini response.

The big difference between it and the SH100-besides physical size and pattern control, is it has a lower sensitivity and not as much low end as the SH100.

The SH mini was designed more as a fill type loudpspeaker-underbalcony, stage lip, "splash" for small areas and a really small floor wedge.

It could be used as a main for smaller gigs, but that is not the "intended" usage.

I have used it with the CS30 for "listening while I work late" applications and it gets quite loud-especially for it's size.

For a portable situation, I would go with the SH100's.  More available output.  There are quite a few people traveling around with SH100's and various subs doing some quite large rooms (500-1000 seats) very well-not rock and roll however.

It was one of the more well recieved products that Danley had at Infocomm.  Ie people waying WOW, I can't believe that much sound is coming out of that box.
index.php/fa/16525/0/
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Michael Young

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 11:52:31 PM »

Ivan-
I'm VERY interested in the new CS30s. They seem to be the ideal product for my needs. I am a Mobile DJ...but I'm also very concerned with Quality of sound as well as quantity.
Do you have a suggested retail price...or an anticipated selling price for the CS30?
I'd probably want 4, so that i could use 2, 3 or 4 depending on the size of the venue and type of event (teenage kids love bass...and i want it to be accurate!!!!)

Thanks!

Michael Hedden Jr.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 11:43:19 AM »

Michael Young wrote on Sat, 28 June 2008 04:52

Ivan-
I'm VERY interested in the new CS30s. They seem to be the ideal product for my needs. I am a Mobile DJ...but I'm also very concerned with Quality of sound as well as quantity.
Do you have a suggested retail price...or an anticipated selling price for the CS30?
I'd probably want 4, so that i could use 2, 3 or 4 depending on the size of the venue and type of event (teenage kids love bass...and i want it to be accurate!!!!)

Thanks!

The CS30 is still being worked through final design as we are going to make the cabinet dimensions essentially match that of the THmini but the retail price will be around $900-1000.
With the same frontal dimensions you can actually mix and match using the THmini's higher sensitivity and power handling at 45-50Hz for rock gigs and the CS30's higher sensitivity at 33 Hz for gigs requiring that low frequency extension. A combination of the two subs gets you the best of both worlds, deep and loud, with tremendous flexibility for your inventory dollars and still everything fits inside a compact sedan.

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 02:00:22 AM »

Michael-
How do you recommend these 2 working together?  Do you suggest significant overlap of frequencies, or that they cover separate ranges?  And if they overlap, what is the effect on the overall output of the combo?  
Thanks,
Grant
Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com

Michael Hedden Jr.

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 09:31:18 AM »

Grant Conklin wrote on Fri, 04 July 2008 07:00

Michael-
How do you recommend these 2 working together?  Do you suggest significant overlap of frequencies, or that they cover separate ranges?  And if they overlap, what is the effect on the overall output of the combo?  
Thanks,
Grant

Hey Grant,
As with many things the answer is it depends.  However all things considered and due to low frequency extension differences you would want to have different high pass filters for each sub.  The mini is close to -10 dB off the CS30 in the 30-40 Hz range. So based on program material if you are driving the subs off an aux the mini would gag trying to get more very low frequency information.  By using separate signal processing you could also take advantage in the above 50 Hz range where the THmini not only has higher sensitivity but also higher power handling than the CS30 in the same frequency range.  On the low pass side of the equation there would not be much interaction if any due to the differences in sensitivity and frequency response.  As with anything you'd want to make sure the cabinets spacing maintained preferably 1/4 wavelength spacing and never 1/2 wavelength spacing for the pass bands of concern.

Thanks,

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

P.S.
I'd encourage everyone at least in the US to pause today and reflect on those who came before us and in many cases paid the ultimate price for the freedoms we now enjoy.  Happy 4th of July!

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 09:27:17 PM »

There are no phase/delay differences to worry about?

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Sat, 05 July 2008 21:27

There are no phase/delay differences to worry about?

You would need to "align" the two subs as they are very different designs.  One is a horn loaded (albeit a tapped horn) and the other is front loaded (albeit a bandpass design).

The "exact" alignment would depend on the particular filter points used (freq), type slopes (butterworth-LR etc) and amplitude of the different bands-(as they have different sensitivities and power handling).  

This could vary greatly depending on what type of alignment you want-flat response or "low freq enhancement".
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Michael Young

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »

OK....so after doing a little math, and inspecting the response curves and efficiencies more carefully, I've come up with the following:

For me...the mobile DJ who wants to faithfully reproduce the really low frequencies in today's Pop music (down as low as 30 hz) I think I'd be best served with 1 TH mini handling the 60 hz to 120 hz range, and either two or three CS30s handling 30 hz to 60hz range. The number of CS30s would depend on several factors, including size & type of venue, how much output was needed, and of course how much of that super low frequency music I'd be playing.

If you take into account the modified fletcher munson loudness curves, then I should be just about right, since I'll need an extra few DBs down really low to keep the system "sounding" flat to 30hz.

I'd then have 4 equal size boxes that would quite literally blow away anything of comparable size.

Ivan- any updates on availability of the CS30? and...do you think you could set up a pair of CS30s and a TH mini together and determine the best delay settings when they are clustered together?

Thanks in advance!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »

They should be shipping by the end of next week or just there after, 7-18 or so.

I only have the prototype right now. I will do a "setup" and measure response when they come in and I get some time  Laughing .

A less expensive way would be to use a TH215 to get down to 30Hz. However you now have a much harder to move around (for the portable DJ) cabinet, with an overall smaller package.  1 215 vs 4 TH mini/CS30 size cabinets.  You would then have move output level as well.

But 3 CS30's and a TH mini would make a pretty awsome sounding package.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 14:23

A less expensive way would be to use a TH215 to get down to 30Hz. However you now have a much harder to move around (for the portable DJ) cabinet, with an overall smaller package.  1 215 vs 4 TH mini/CS30 size cabinets.  You would then have move output level as well.

But 3 CS30's and a TH mini would make a pretty awsome sounding package.

I already have a boat-load of heavy hard-to-move subwoofers, and sometimes I really wish I had some small subs that I could throw in the back of my car. When you need a helper and a truck to move your gear, it doesn't end up being less expensive. The Mini/C30 combo looks real good to me though I definitely want to test-drive the Mini before I buy one. Road Test?  Very Happy
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.