ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: voice: pitch control for 8~10 vocalists  (Read 14639 times)

Robert Sims

Re: voice: pitch control for 8~10 vocalists
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 01:32:57 AM »

When it comes to church vocals the requirement is to make a joyful noise, doesn't mean it will always be on pitch. If it's backing vocals it's not a big issue we can wash it in the mix, but if it's a lead vocal push that fader up. We are there to reproduce sound, we are not responsible for the pitch. Sure it's hard to listen to, but that's going to be the reality of church worship. Why stop at the vocals, how about all the wrong notes played or inconsistent tempo? 
Robert

I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 09:02:46 PM »

Before employing some electronic means of pitch correction, you should ensure that the off-key vocalists are able to hear a clear reference of the note they are expected to sing.

For example, some people have a difficult time picking a single note out of a chord. Usually it's fairly easy to hear the melody (soprano part), but the alto, tenor, and bass parts are more difficult to discern. If you can hear the note you are trying to sing (e.g. all the tenors can hear the other tenors) then you'll have a much better chance of singing on-key.

If you can provide your vocalists the means to sing correctly, it will sound a thousand times better than anything you could hope to achieve with pitch correction.

I have no experience implementing pitch correction, but I have heard a lot of music where it's obvious that pitch correction has been employed and it's very annoying.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

John Fiorello

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »

When it comes to church vocals the requirement is to make a joyful noise, doesn't mean it will always be on pitch. If it's backing vocals it's not a big issue we can wash it in the mix, but if it's a lead vocal push that fader up.

Depending on the stage setup, is it possible to put several singers together on 1 or 2 mics like a small choir?  If stage noise isn't a huge issue it would help a group sing together, it would be easier to sit them under a lead vocalist, and it could minimize the distraction of the person off pitch (if they stood further to the side of the group mic).

In some churches (like mine) auditions are held for the 'on mic' vocalists, but anyone who wants to make the 'joyful noise' are welcome to sing in the choir.

my 2 cents anyway.

JF
Stop.  Think.  Speak.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.