ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heil PR-22  (Read 63088 times)

David Mars

Re: Heil PR-22 & PR 35
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2009, 07:54:43 AM »

Thanks Bob! But did you call me Doug? I'm David Mars.

Anyway, which, the 22 or 35, do you think is more suitable for a loud stage?

David Mars

Re: Heil PR-22 & 35
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2009, 08:05:17 AM »

Hey Tim, thanks for replying. I'm in Singapore and the microphones you've mentioned (especially the OM7) will really cost, haha. I have heard about its excellent rejection and gain-before-feedback though.

I've also heard about EV's 767. It was on my list before I came across Heil and thought I'd give the larger diaphragms a shot! As far as I've read, Heil microphones seem to use the larger diaphragms as their unique selling point. Is it really something unique to Heil in the dynamic microphones market? And what's your opinion about a larger diaphragm in relation to the sound it reproduces? How will you compare it to other mikes like EV 767 or AKG D5? If the PR 22 won't work in my situation, do you think the 35 will?

I really appreciate your helpful replies!

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »

David Mars wrote on Tue, 02 June 2009 04:54

Thanks Bob! But did you call me Doug? I'm David Mars.

Anyway, which, the 22 or 35, do you think is more suitable for a loud stage?

If you take the time to actually read this thread, it should become obvious that many of us think that the PR22 is NOT suitable for loud stages. As I've never used a PR35, I cannot comment on its suitability.

I will say that the EV 967 works well in my situation.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Robert Alan

« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2009, 10:28:08 AM »

David, you say you use a sm58 at the moment. are you getting enough gain before feedback and rejection with this mic for your application? is it that you want a step up in audio quality from the 58 or that you need something with better GBF and rejection? or both?

i havent used the PR22 or PR35 buts its common sense to assume that if 90% of the articles and reviews ive read about the mics are stating that they are not suitable for loud environments such as a small loud stages(blaring monitors, cranked guitar cabs and bashing drummer not far behind the singer) then why would i want to spend about

David Mars

« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2009, 02:01:08 AM »

Got that, Andy. Thanks!

David Mars

« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2009, 02:10:32 AM »

Hello, Robert. Thanks for information and the microphones you've suggested! I'd like to have both good GBF and rejection and sound quality. In past gigs, I usually do not hear myself enough in the monitors with the SM58. In rehearsals, it usually does fine without much tweaking at the PA console (nothing fancy) but I kind of just feel that the tone can be better. There seems to be too much coloration and I just don't sound like me. At times, my bandmates thought I sounded like I'm in a can or that I sing into an amp and then mike the amp up. There is certainly use for that kind of sound but most of the time, I prefer to just sound pretty much like me.  

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2009, 10:15:03 AM »

David Mars wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 01:10

Hello, Robert. Thanks for information and the microphones you've suggested! I'd like to have both good GBF and rejection and sound quality. In past gigs, I usually do not hear myself enough in the monitors with the SM58. In rehearsals, it usually does fine without much tweaking at the PA console (nothing fancy) but I kind of just feel that the tone can be better. There seems to be too much coloration and I just don't sound like me. At times, my bandmates thought I sounded like I'm in a can or that I sing into an amp and then mike the amp up. There is certainly use for that kind of sound but most of the time, I prefer to just sound pretty much like me.  

David-

The part I highlighted in bold tells me you have issues that aren't specific to an individual microphone.  What you are hearing is multipath, the incoherent arrival of various sounds (including your voice) at the mic.  It's entirely possible that you're getting monitor bleed from other vocal mics as well.

Remember that a microphone can't distinguish between desired and undersired sounds, and the loudest sound at the mic diaphragm is the winner.  In the case of multiple sounds at relatively the same level it's even worse.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Bob Leonard

« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2009, 02:55:45 PM »

Robert Alan wrote on Wed, 03 June 2009 10:28

i havent used the PR22 or PR35 buts its common sense to assume that if 90% of the articles and reviews ive read about the mics are stating that they are not suitable for loud environments such as a small loud stages(blaring monitors, cranked guitar cabs and bashing drummer not far behind the singer) then why would i want to spend about
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2009, 05:12:49 PM »

Bob Leonard wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 11:55

"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Robert Alan

« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »

Bob Leonard wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 19:55

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up