ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Heil PR-22  (Read 63085 times)

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
Re: Heil PR-22
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »

I called Sweetwater to order 3 of the PR-22's and they told me they ran into problems and would not be selling the entire line of Heil Mic's anymore. Problems?
Now I don't know if I should order any or not.
Any heads up?

Thanks
Douglas R. Allen
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Bob Leonard

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 10:07:57 PM »

Douglas,
That's just wrong. I'll make it a point to call Bob Heil tomorrow and get an answer from him if he is available. If I can't get hold of him then I'll get back to this as soon as possible. I can tell you this much though. They finished a run of 1700 this week and Bob has not mentioned any problems to me at all. MF has them if you want them and they carry the full line.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 05:39:51 PM »

Douglas R. Allen wrote on Fri, 20 June 2008 15:04

I called Sweetwater to order 3 of the PR-22's and they told me they ran into problems and would not be selling the entire line of Heil Mic's anymore. Problems?
Now I don't know if I should order any or not.
Any heads up?

I rather suspect that the "problem" may be that Sweetwater and Heil could not come to an agreement over pricing or whatever. IOW, the problem is not with the product.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »

OK, quickie review. I did a show last night with my regular guys and I used the PR-22 on the singer/keyboardist, Dan. The singing guitarist got his usual Beta57A, which works very well for his voice.

First things first: in addition to being a musician, Dan is also a sound guy (which is his day job), so he knows how to work a mic. He's real good at backing off when he's not singing lead.

Now with something like a Beta57A, when he was on the mic singing lead, the pronounced proximity effect was a problem ... too much "whoomph" in the voice, which I usually took out using the channel-strip high-pass. (Oh, to have a multiband comp!) Of course when he backed off, his already-reedy tenor got even thinner.

With the PR-22, none of this is a problem. Backups sounded like leads. Spoken stuff between songs also didn't suffer from the whoomphiness. Getting monitors to adequate levels was not a problem. The channel strip was flat (system is EAW MK-series top boxes) and his voice sounded like his voice. (And we figure that the distortion I always hear with him singing, regardless of mic, console or system, is actually his voice. In the studio, he doesn't push his voice like he does live.)

So after the set, I asked him what he thought. He said that it sounded good, but he was getting a lot of stage wash in his wedge. "Everything seemed loud." I suppose that's more a function of the cardioid pattern rather than the super-cardioid of the Beta57A or the EV 757A I'd used for him in the past. (After all, that's why we use super- and hyper-cardioid mics!)

Also, while Bob doesn't publish polar plots of the mic response, I suspect that the pattern is wider than the obsolete ball-mic cardioid. As we all know, omnis don't exhibit any proximity effect, and my guess is that whatever ameliorates that effect in the PR-22 also serves to widen the pattern. Of course a uniform pattern (in the mic as well as the wedge) goes a long way towards feedback mitigation, so while the pattern is wider, lack of presence peak and other odd bumps in the pattern make monitors easier.

I would imagine that the mic will work well for the big shows I have coming up at beginning of July, as the band's stage volume is quite reasonable and the drummer isn't a basher.

But what I really want is a supercardioid version of this thing. How's that for a design challenge?

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

John Chiara

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 05:30:42 PM »

Another observation. Mixed 8 bands in the last 48 hours. All Emo/rock acts..touring and local. The PR35/22 in the hands of a front person vocalist is great for one reason alone...when the stupid singers cup the mic..the sound only changes marginally..compared to a normal handheld..this alone is a blessing when trying to coax decent tone from some of these guys.
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Brandon G Romanowski

• http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 06:45:43 PM »

Today I received a rider that spec'ed PR-20s for the vocals. Just thought I would mention that as it is the first time I have seen it.
Brandon G. Romanowski
Indigo Concert Audio Dept.
http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm

Mark Hadman

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 07:38:42 PM »

Just received my PR-22 (first in the UK?). I think I'm going to put it through its paces at Glastonbury Fest at the weekend where the band I work with is doing a whopping 5 shows over 4 days.

It's unlikely I'm going to stick it on a frontline vocal, because the band has two lead vox plus BVs that move from mic to mic and I'd like to keep them on the same type (hehe, guess which type that'll be?).

So, I think my choices are:

Snare top or bottom
Drum overhead
Electric guitar (one of two)
Drum vox (Big boomy voice, we always have to cut loads of lows out of this one with an SM58)
Alto Sax
Trombone
Trumpet

All but the OH & Drum vox are generally spec'd as SM57 or similar. Which instrument is the PR-22 going to really shine on? If I use it on one of the three horns will it just not sit right with the others?

I guess half the fun is experimenting but I don't want to get too experimental in the already hectic Glasto environment.

Brandon G Romanowski

• http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »

I use them for snare all the time.
Brandon G. Romanowski
Indigo Concert Audio Dept.
http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm

Weogo Reed

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 11:33:36 PM »

Hi Mark,

I would use the PR22 on the Trombone.  

Good health,  Weogo

Bob Leonard

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 11:24:24 PM »

Mark,
Use the 22 on the snare.

Also, I spoke to Bob Heil and Andy is correct. Sweetwater not carrying the Heil line is nothing more than a business decision. Quality is not an issue.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 17 queries.