ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's got LAB  (Read 9901 times)

Dave Junius

Who's got LAB
« on: June 13, 2008, 09:25:54 pm »

Ok, I have decided that I want new subs. I "think" I want to build some LABS, but before I jump in with both feet I would like to check them out in person. So is there anybody near the Atlanta area that wouldn't mind me stopping by the shop or a show somewhere to let me take a listen/peek? I have seen the pics, and looked over the dimensions but I still would like a first hand glimpse before getting started. I don't care what tops you are using with them but if you happened to have U15's, that would be even better. I understand that this is a huge project but I have people to help, and I won't be in a hurry.

David Junius

Gary Perrett

Re: Who's got LAB
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:30:04 am »

I think there's some near Indianapolis, or maybe Nashville, but ai would have to ask...I know of none in Atlanta...
Gary
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Adrian Genovesio

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:34:20 pm »

I wouldn't recommend building them your self because they mite look sort of easy on pdf file but when you really get down to it your going to need a lot of experience with building.  Tho if you really like them materials and two LAB subs can be quite cheap but the first time building them even if you have building skill can take you 40 hours.  Don't worry, you would never have any disappointment's towards how well they sound lol there great.
"Based on Thévenin's theorem, all complicated problems in life can be calculated down to one basic problem that resists the normal continuance of life, P-thévenin, where P is the problem."

Dave Rickard

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 02:47:37 pm »

Adrian Genovesio wrote on Sat, 28 June 2008 12:34

I wouldn't recommend building them your self because they mite look sort of easy on pdf file but when you really get down to it your going to need a lot of experience with building.  Tho if you really like them materials and two LAB subs can be quite cheap but the first time building them even if you have building skill can take you 40 hours.  Don't worry, you would never have any disappointment's towards how well they sound lol there great.

How long did it take you to build your first pair of LABs?
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Adrian Genovesio

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 04:01:55 pm »

well i myself didn't build the first batch because i hadnt worked for concerts unlimited yet but my boss had told me about the first time.  I am now helping him build the second batch and it is alot quicker because hes cut all the pieces once before, And the building is the fastest part of it all, not the cutting.  The cutting is filled with a lot of hard angles to cut.  Go check out the design pages and look at how crazy it is
"Based on Thévenin's theorem, all complicated problems in life can be calculated down to one basic problem that resists the normal continuance of life, P-thévenin, where P is the problem."

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 11:04:03 pm »

Hi Dave-

You need to step into the Wayback Machine and read the threads about construction, some with pictures.

If you're one of those who can build stuff with Norm Abrams and have a shop similarly equipped, you can successfully build the LABS.  I understand some have been built successfully in lesser equipped shops, too.  There are compound miters, rabits, and dados.  Some builders used biscuit joints, and there was much discussion about various glues.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Dave Junius

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 01:52:13 am »

You bring up a good point Tim. Although, as long as the dimensions are kept the same, you could actually use a few different type of joints. Although some joint types are stronger than others. I have built some cabinets in the past and understand the woodworking, it was just the fact if I actually wanted to do this. However, I was rambling around with our superior cabinet shop at work and they volunteered themselves to build them for me since they work with this stuff all the time. These guys are A++ cabinet makers too. I would have them make all the sawdust and I will do the assembly so I need to really decide how I want the joints. Plus they can get me a deal on the wood, being a cabinet shop and all. I need to post some pics of some of their woodworking, it's awesome to say the least. Anyhow, I guess I will just have to build a pair and stop taking everyone elses word for it.

David

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 02:53:39 am »

Nothing like having a pro do it.  If you're going to build 2, build 4.  Center cluster them when you can.  Take away 2.  It won't be the same even if you can turn the remainders up to compensate.

Since you'll have a pro shop do this, after a successful prototype they can turn out several in short order.  Consider building 8 total if you have a place to store them.... sure, they're big, but there's nothing else like them until you start spending double to triple the money.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 06:05:17 am »

+1 on 4. I can't imagine what 8 sound like.

I do dance music and feel comfortable doing quite big shows with 4 LABs. Granted this is without DJs clipping the crap out of the mixer, but that's another story.

I started with 2 but 4 is amazing and when you juse use 2 together you won't understand what the big deal is.

-Josh Billings

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 12:59:48 pm »

Agree with both of you; Dave, if you're going to take the trouble to build one or two, cutting four would be the smartest idea. Sure, the wood costs more, but compared to the cost of having to resetup and do a second set.. peanuts! I always cut double for what I plan to.. even on proto's and one-offs..
Regards,
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 19 queries.