ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering a career move. Looking for advice. (infocomm Q's)  (Read 1437 times)

Oliver Hoen

Hi all, my fiancee's post-doc is going to require a move from Montreal to Boston(where I have NO contacts). I'm a recording guy but have been contemplating a move into install work (I'd be looking for an entry-level position). I'm plowing through the archives now but I've got to figure out, right away, whether or not to go west for Infocomm.

If I'm looking for entry-level work in September, would I be an idiot not to go out and do some NSCA classes or SynAudCon seminars?

The time and money are an issue but I can make it happen.

I would really appreciate any advice you pros out there can offer.
Thanks,
Oliver Hoen.

Ivan Beaver

Re: Considering a career move. Looking for advice. (infocomm Q's)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 07:34:38 pm »

I cannot speak enough of Synaudcon.  Not only for the knowledge you gain, but also for the contacts you make.   There are many regulars, many on this board have been several-if not many times and we all learn quite a lot each time.  The more you learn, the less you really know/understand.

As far as getting a job, I don't know if Infocomm is that type of show.  It is mainly a vendor type show.

But if you get in with the right crowd, you can meet all sorts of people who could help you find work.

If you go, I would make it known to just about everybody you meet that you are looking for work and where.

Some people even walk around with signs on their backs saying what they are looking for.

You never know.

Infocomm is mainly a show where contractors attend, so those are the people you are looking to network with.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Oliver Hoen

Re: Considering a career move. Looking for advice. (infocomm Q's)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 05:52:40 pm »

Thanks a lot Ivan. It sounds like I might be better off spending the money and time on SAC seminars closer to me and maybe doing some of the NSCA's online stuff.
Oliver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.