ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Coaxial wedges.. which ones do we like?  (Read 19359 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Coaxial wedges.. which ones do we like?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:59:45 PM »

John Halliburton can tell you about some DIY co ax monitors that look pretty darn interesting
He's here on PSW

There is also a coaxial wedge project at soundforums.net in the DIY forum.  Several drivers are under consideration, including B&C, Ciare, Eminence, and P Audio.

John's wedge project is documented on the "old" PSW FUDforums.  There is a re-direct link on the current PSW forums index page.  Curtis "Too Tall" List designed the passive crossover for it, and the opinions of current users rate this box highly.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 04:55:29 PM »

There is also a coaxial wedge project at soundforums.net in the DIY forum.  Several drivers are under consideration, including B&C, Ciare, Eminence, and P Audio.

John's wedge project is documented on the "old" PSW FUDforums.  There is a re-direct link on the current PSW forums index page.  Curtis "Too Tall" List designed the passive crossover for it, and the opinions of current users rate this box highly.

Here's the wee beastie.  BMS 12" coaxial driver-neo motor, shorting(demodulating) rings, great BMS hf driver.  Line-X finish, steel handle, dual Speakons, pole cup, perforated metal grill-foam backed is an option.

Just did some Smaart analysis in situ on the stage of the 650 theater space I frequently work at.  Nothing major at all, just some small tweaks to taste.  It's been a great wedge, and I get compliments from musicians often.  I'm about to pull the trigger and increase the rig to six.

Marsellus, check your pm inbox.

http://flic.kr/p/9mPAqn
Best regards,

John
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:00:38 PM by John Halliburton »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Coaxial wedges.. which ones do we like? Image not working
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »

Here's the wee beastie.  BMS 12" coaxial driver-neo motor, shorting(demodulating) rings, great BMS hf driver.  Line-X finish, steel handle, dual Speakons, pole cup, perforated metal grill-foam backed is an option.

Just did some Smaart analysis in situ on the stage of the 650 theater space I frequently work at.  Nothing major at all, just some small tweaks to taste.  It's been a great wedge, and I get compliments from musicians often.  I'm about to pull the trigger and increase the rig to six.

Marsellus, check your pm inbox.

Best regards,

John

John, the image doesn't seem to be working. I have moved the original thread about Weogo's wedges to the "Archived threads" board on the FUD forums. The plan is that it will be moved to this forum eventually.

Mac

John Halliburton

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »

John, the image doesn't seem to be working. I have moved the original thread about Weogo's wedges to the "Archived threads" board on the FUD forums. The plan is that it will be moved to this forum eventually.

Mac

Thanks Mac, I was trying a couple of different things, just settled on the link to the photo.

Best regards,

John

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »

John,  Do those have handles of some sort?

John Halliburton

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 07:53:56 PM »

John,  Do those have handles of some sort?

Steve,

There is a nice steel handle on the opposite side(in the photo), a corner style model from Penn Elcom.

Best regards,

John

Mario Roman

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 10:46:14 PM »

The EAW Microwedge and the D&B and L'Acoutics is out of our price range unfortunately. How do you guys like the Radian's or RCF's?

I also remember some folks around here having some built or DIY'ing some. How did that work out?

Anything else out there I should check out?

These would be for a 500ish cap music hall doing everything from folk to C national rock acts. We'll need 6 or so.
Have you considered this offering?

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/SH%20LPM%20Spec%20Sheet.PDF

I've not heard them but if they sound as good as the SM96 boxes I own they should serve you well. They appear to have a similar output level and price point as the microwedge.

Mario
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:49:46 PM by Mario Roman »

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 11:46:03 PM »

Have you considered this offering?

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/SH%20LPM%20Spec%20Sheet.PDF

I've not heard them but if they sound as good as the SM96 boxes I own they should serve you well. They appear to have a similar output level and price point as the microwedge.

Mario

JTR just came out with a 8" co-ax that is REALLY small and light.
I haven't heard it yet, but I haven't heard a bad speaker from JTR yet.
Supposed to do 123 db and weighs 18 lbs.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 07:40:45 PM »

I'm curious why no manufacturer has hit it out of the park on price point for a quality coaxial wedge yet. I guess the form factor isn't that popular. Or perhaps it's a cost/performance decision.

I'm hesitant about anything but a 15" or high performance 12" wedge as It needs to handle a moderate amount of kick on a crowded loud stage for shows where a wedge is preferred over a large unsightly drum fill. As well some musos request kick in down stage wedges out of habit even in our smaller venue and I'd rather it have some punch to avoid working a smaller wedge too hard. Or am I off base here? I'd just buy several of each but I don't like swapping wedges in the middle of a sound check because somebody is complaining about the low end of a 12" wedge. Even though proximity effect creates unnatural punch/mud in male vox people get used to it and ask for it all the time. Then out come the 15"s even for singer songwriters.

I'm thinking at the moment that the advantages to having some built are gonna be marginal to non-existent unless we really do it on the cheap. And at that point well be investing in wedges we've never heard. I've heard several cheaper DIY coaxials and none of them where outstanding though they where probably worth what was spent. Anybody had any experience with outstanding DIY cheaper coaxes? Ever heard a $500 coax that sounded great?

We may have to head back to a tried and true conventional wedge.

As much as I like the sound and form factor of coaxials we may wind up with conventional 2 ways.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »

I'm curious why no manufacturer has hit it out of the park on price point for a quality coaxial wedge yet. I guess the form factor isn't that popular. Or perhaps it's a cost/performance decision.

I'm hesitant about anything but a 15" or high performance 12" wedge as It needs to handle a moderate amount of kick on a crowded loud stage for shows where a wedge is preferred over a large unsightly drum fill. As well some musos request kick in down stage wedges out of habit even in our smaller venue and I'd rather it have some punch to avoid working a smaller wedge too hard. Or am I off base here? I'd just buy several of each but I don't like swapping wedges in the middle of a sound check because somebody is complaining about the low end of a 12" wedge. Even though proximity effect creates unnatural punch/mud in male vox people get used to it and ask for it all the time. Then out come the 15"s even for singer songwriters.

I'm thinking at the moment that the advantages to having some built are gonna be marginal to non-existent unless we really do it on the cheap. And at that point well be investing in wedges we've never heard. I've heard several cheaper DIY coaxials and none of them where outstanding though they where probably worth what was spent. Anybody had any experience with outstanding DIY cheaper coaxes? Ever heard a $500 coax that sounded great?

We may have to head back to a tried and true conventional wedge.

As much as I like the sound and form factor of coaxials we may wind up with conventional 2 ways.

I've asked Jeff if he was going to make a single 12 co-ax. 
I think that would be killer from a size/performance standpoint.
And I think it would be easier to get buy in from people who can't see past the size of the 8" driver.

I was very hesitant to even try the Triple 8 as a FOH speaker because of my pre concieved notion that 8" drivers could not possibly rock and/or roll.
After using them once, I bought a pair and they're my go-to-FOH speakers now.

I hope to try the Single 8 Pro co ax monitor soon. 
At half the weight of a MRX 512 or SRX 712, I have to!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:56:31 PM by Steve Hurt »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.