ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Coaxial wedges.. which ones do we like?  (Read 19373 times)

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
Coaxial wedges.. which ones do we like?
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »

The EAW Microwedge and the D&B and L'Acoutics is out of our price range unfortunately. How do you guys like the Radian's or RCF's?

I also remember some folks around here having some built or DIY'ing some. How did that work out?

Anything else out there I should check out?

These would be for a 500ish cap music hall doing everything from folk to C national rock acts. We'll need 6 or so. 
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
Re: Coaxial wedges.. which ones do we like?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »

The EAW Microwedge and the D&B and L'Acoutics is out of our price range unfortunately. How do you guys like the Radian's or RCF's?

I also remember some folks around here having some built or DIY'ing some. How did that work out?

These would be for a 500ish cap music hall doing everything from folk to C national rock acts. We'll need 6 or so.

Once upon a time, the Microwedge WAS a Radian.

RCF is generally recognized a being pretty good.

I'd also look into the various McCauley options.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Nathan DePaulo

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »

I currently have the older Radian microwedges, and they're pretty fantastic.  I read a shootout on this forum that was the old radian, the new Radian (Apex 1500) and the EAW.  The reviewer consensus was the new Radian was improved over the old Radian Microwedge in sound quality and SPL and the EAW was only appreciably better when using the EAW processor.

For nearly half the price of the EAW the Radian Apex seem like a good choice to me.  They also have a NEO version which I was told has a slightly higher SPL than the ferrite driver, which is the same one they used when they made the microwedges.

I found the McCauley coax sound very nice and smooth, but usually don't get so screamin' loud.  Their 3 way monitor is another matter, but it's also large and heavy.

I've also heard really good things about an Assistance Audio 12" coax.  You'll have to search that (try the old forum before they're all gone!).  This would be a build it yourself cabinet, with their driver and a crossover designed by Curtis "Too Tall".

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »

You'll have to search that (try the old forum before they're all gone!)

The old forums are not going away.  They will be made searchable.  There could be a period in which they are unavailable due to all resources being applied to implementing the new forums.  I expect the programmers and admins to implement that as soon as they have the time to do so.  However, they will indeed be searchable.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »

.... do you guys like the Radian's or RCF's?

The powered RCF TT25SMA is a pretty awesome wedge... Something I hope will be in my future soon.....

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 06:53:30 PM »

John Halliburton can tell you about some DIY co ax monitors that look pretty darn interesting
He's here on PSW

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 01:10:59 AM »

I have some wedges made by Wizzard Sound up in New York State. I forgot the town. I got them used from a nice guy in Staten Island named Lev Raber who had a boat load of them made (ok, maybe a couple of dozen). They have B&C 12cx32 drivers in them and sound fantastic.
When I went down to pick them up he had a microwedge (12") set up along with one of the ones I bought and the microwedge wasn't quite as good from my viewpoint.
Maybe he has some more for sale?
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 01:29:15 AM »

May I ask what is meant by a "co ax" monitor?

Nathan DePaulo

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 01:40:22 AM »

May I ask what is meant by a "co ax" monitor?

Coaxial. It refers to how the high frequency driver is mounted directly behind the low frequency driver...
 sometimes using the magnet of the LF as a waveguide (i.e. no traditional horn).  There are advantages
 in smaller foot print and having all frequency ranges being prodouced from the same point source.

Here's an example: http://www.radianaudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=26996&category_id=8&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=40

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 03:33:41 AM »

Coaxial. It refers to how the high frequency driver is mounted directly behind the low frequency driver...
 sometimes using the magnet of the LF as a waveguide (i.e. no traditional horn).  There are advantages
 in smaller foot print and having all frequency ranges being prodouced from the same point source.

Here's an example: http://www.radianaudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=26996&category_id=8&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=40

Cheers!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 03:33:41 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.