ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Speakers  (Read 7172 times)

Nat Hyman

Powered Speakers
« on: May 10, 2008, 02:53:02 PM »

Hello !

I am in the process of udgrading my bands PA System and was wondering what the general take on the whole active speaker craze that is hitting the market ?

Ive Checked out the mackie's but they are bit out of my budget. Ive also seen the Beringer and Tapco THUMP models that are a bit cheaper but seem to have about the same specs as the mackies..

I know the saying about getting what you pay for but how much of that paying is just for the name on the speaker grill ?,

anybody out there using these with full bands with good results ?

thanks so much

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
Re: Powered Speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:38:33 PM »

Nat,

I've used the Mackie SRM450s but never the Behringer or Tapcos.  The SRM450s do sound pretty good.  

I own a few Yorkville NX55ps and I can't say enough good about them.  They sound great, and are in the same price range of the Mackies.

I've often wondered about the Behringer powered speakers... If I were you, I'd go find a Guitar center and listen to them.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Rick Byers

• http://www.lost-dogs.info
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:48:56 AM »

Just moved from a bulky seperates system to a QSC HPR rig, and it's oneof the best moves I ever made (second only to moving to a digital desk!!).

My last gig consisted of 6 cabs, and my desk with snake.

Great sound quality from the built in electronics.

No seperate amp rack, or effects rack.  Just power and mic cables.

Really simple.

Having said that do your homework, and demo as many systems as you can.  There is a LARGE difference between the bottom (Tapcos and B*), mid level (Mackie SRM), upper mid (JBL PRX and QSC HPR) and top (K2 plus others).

As always you get what you pay for.

Jonathan Wade

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:30:10 PM »

Nat, I have been a powered speaker user for several years.  I will not be going back, as others have said, the setup simplifies life a lot. I started with the B@$*%&^er ones, and moved up quickly to the QSC line.  As others have said, there is a difference in quality build.  Buy once, cry once.  FYI, right now QSC is offering a 6 year warranty with their powered speakers.  Yorkville is also an excellent line.  You can find used QSC and Yorkville, if cost is an issue, you might want to explore that, but you will regret the Boringer line...plastic cases, heavy as hell, awkward handles, and most important, a rather middy tone.  YMMV, hope that helps.

Jon

Ned Ward

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:16:45 PM »

We bought 2 used SRM450s for monitors; 2 weeks ago we used them for mains. Compared to our JRX mains, much better. Just bought another at GC Saturday as they are selling the old versions brand new for $499. That's $150 more than the Tapco Thumps, but it's also a much better speaker.

I'd save up to at least get the Mackie level product (or better) and avoid Behringer, Tapco, Nady, Samson like the plague - all that stuff has a low price appeal, but it isn't worth it - the quality is bad, doesn't last, and there's no resale value on it. If you can afford the other better brands mentioned above, even better.

Ian Stroupe

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 09:08:31 PM »

I've heard Behringer's offerings a couple of times. I didn't think they sounded that bad. However, as you move up the quality goes up tremendously and you can have a much more trustworthy speaker.

Personally if you don't have the dollars for a pair, go with one of good quality and then save the pennies for another at a later date. I guarantee you will be much happier with this route and you won't have to buy again just to make the next step up. Speaking of the steps up, since you mention "uprgrading" the PA, don't you think you should do just that and not simply sidestep?

The Noise Factory/Bluestrings Music

http://Http://www.bluestringsmusic.com

Yorkville Audio Dealer

Phil LaDue

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:12:03 PM »

Powered speakers are great.
-
Definitely consider buying used.
A used pair of 450's will serve you well.

Ned Ward

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »

Nat -

What do you have currently?

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 04:16:43 AM »

Nat Hyman wrote on Sat, 10 May 2008 11:53

Hello !

I am in the process of udgrading my bands PA System and was wondering what the general take on the whole active speaker craze that is hitting the market ?

The "craze" part was over in the late 90s, just as digital desks are now mainstream, and long past "craze" state.

I've used an active 4-way/5-way system since 05 (in my case ISP).  As always - buy what fits your market and your needs (portability, setup, coverage, "fidelity," power, etc). I've never had a failure on mains, the ROI passed to green a long time ago and continues to perform exceptionally well.

I honestly don't care - powered (active) vs. passive - as long as the tool does what it is supposed to do.

I don't think you should worry either.

I can roll this thing down the ramp and be cooking in 5 to 10 minutes - but I can also do that with passive speakers as well (as most if us do with monitors). It's all in how you make your system connect together.

index.php/fa/16033/0/
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.