ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK off Topic but this is useful to us all and i will share  (Read 44820 times)

Mikey Brown

Re: OK off Topic but this is useful to us all and i will share
« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2008, 10:00:07 PM »

Phil:

I totally agree the new pupose built tech is the way to go. The glorified golf cart technology will only be a niche market. But a Camaro golf cart is really cool, in a hillbilly way. So why is it the commuter electric market is geared to the high end user? Tesla, Volt even the truck is high priced. People at this price point could burn gas all day. The only affordable purpose built solutions are NEV's. They aren't going to cut it. I feel sad we haven't designed something for the regular guy to use for his say 60 mile a day round trip. Just seems really ignorant. Most people in urban centers commute less than that. So I guess until the designs catch up with the market, the regular guy will have to eat it, or come up with his own solution. These solutions may get better as junkyards start selling Prius or other oil rehab car parts. To an engineer, I can imagine this project seems coarse at best!!! LOL It will be a good day, when we only use petrolium for recreational purposes.

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »

Mike. Brown wrote on Sun, 25 May 2008 21:00

Phil:

I totally agree the new pupose built tech is the way to go. The glorified golf cart technology will only be a niche market. But a Camaro golf cart is really cool, in a hillbilly way. So why is it the commuter electric market is geared to the high end user? Tesla, Volt even the truck is high priced. People at this price point could burn gas all day. The only affordable purpose built solutions are NEV's. They aren't going to cut it. I feel sad we haven't designed something for the regular guy to use for his say 60 mile a day round trip. Just seems really ignorant. Most people in urban centers commute less than that. So I guess until the designs catch up with the market, the regular guy will have to eat it, or come up with his own solution. These solutions may get better as junkyards start selling Prius or other oil rehab car parts. To an engineer, I can imagine this project seems coarse at best!!! LOL It will be a good day, when we only use petrolium for recreational purposes.

I agree with the redneck chic of an electric camaro. If it feels good do it. But I would be uncomfortable with less than 2x my one day drive budget so I'd need at least 100 mile range.

I don't agree that there is, or will long be,  an unfilled hole in the market.

The major car companies are pedaling as fast as they can to shut down SUV factories and wind up electric vehicle production. Contrary to the opinion that we are at the mercy of the car companies, they are pretty much at the mercy of the consumer, who only recently shifted their preference.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Phillip_Graham

« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »

Mike. Brown wrote on Sun, 25 May 2008 22:00

Phil:

It is important to realize that the would-be electric car manufacturers are trying to make the cars as cheaply as possible, especially as their SUV-type revenue starts to dry up.

At the moment the underlying technologies (and materials) are simply expensive.

Mikey Brown

« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »

All true. Also, the commuter market is only a small part of the
picture. Commercial solutions may be a long way off.

Phillip_Graham

« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »

Mike. Brown wrote on Mon, 26 May 2008 14:06

All true. Also, the commuter market is only a small part of the
picture. Commercial solutions may be a long way off.

Some commercial solutions will never come, because of energy density limitations.  Planes will always need some fuel with an energy density comparable to kerosene.

In practice, energy efficient commercial solutions are easier.  The thermodynamic efficiencies of large diesel engines is very good, especially compared to cars.  The very very large (and slow rotating) fuel oil diesels in cargo ships are probably the most energy efficient.  In large applications where there is space, and money, for regenerator/cogen technology and the like, the thermodynamics are more conquerable.  Things like extensive exhaust gas recirculation are easier inside large transit systems.

Viable commuter solutions concern me more.  Its very tough to fit a cogen plant into something the size of a SMART Very Happy

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2008, 04:19:01 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Sun, 25 May 2008 15:09

Randy,

Guten Nocht!

Nacht?
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Randy Pence

« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2008, 06:16:51 PM »

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Mon, 26 May 2008 22:19

Charlie Zureki wrote on Sun, 25 May 2008 15:09

Randy,

Guten Nocht!

Nacht?

naw, im still awake Smile

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2008, 11:40:45 PM »

Steve Weiss wrote on Sun, 25 May 2008 21:03

Phil LaDue wrote on Sun, 25 May 2008 10:40

So Randy, what were your results?

There has been no news from  him for over 10 days on this. Me thinks it was a bust.

Either that, or the improvement was so significant, he's still out there driving to burn up that second tank of fuel!  Laughing

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #208 on: June 01, 2008, 10:35:19 AM »

Perhaps he discovered that his neighbor was sneaking gas into his tank at night to skew the test results.

In light of that he needed to extend the test to as along as possible. Laughing

IMO, there is no free lunch...  

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.