ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: recording the service...  (Read 5937 times)

Kevan

Re: recording the service...
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 12:43:19 am »

Presently, I record both worship and sermons to a Sony CD recorder.  I bring them home and load them into Pro Tools, or, if I'm feeling lazy--Wabelab.  This is great for cleaning up the audio and creting ausable master for our low-volume duplication.  It is possible to just record straight to CD and then dupe it.  But, the intro would probably be sloppy (too early or tool late).  Plus, if you're a tweak-head like me, ou wouldn't get to do any additional EQ and dynamics processing to make it pretty!  

That being said, I want to do live recordings straight to PC as soon as I'm able.  I've done some remote recording with my Digi 002Rack, but I had to orrow a friends laptop to do it.  So, whenevery I get a spare PC that has the horsepower to do some editing--I'll load Wavelab onto it and make a template that contains my sermon intro and outro files--tags, and then record the sermon, clean up the front and back end, maybe normalize, create my tracks and then burn to disc.  Obvisously, this does take a few minutes, but the improvement in quality should be worth it!

Bottom line, go PC if you can.

Stuie

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 08:08:05 am »

Hi All

We are getting our feeds off the auxilliaries nice and simple i dont want to stress out over a recording. we are currently on mini disc (due to go to cd soon) nice but absolutely useless for duplicating. We get our messages on mini disc and  take them home and fix em up in Adobe audition or pro tools so it is consistant level.

One major thing is we have found is to get someone else to deal with the orders or people wanting a tape/cd. Last thing i want is to get mics and turn off gear after a service and chase a order for a cd around. Also we make people pay up front so we arent running a million copies for 2 people.

CD towers are the way to go, tape duplicators are way to expensive but a 30 - 40 minute message should be a quick burn.

Cheers
Stuie

PAudio

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 03:49:49 am »

Our church currently uses an Alesis Masterlink for recording sermons and the worship. It seems to be working great. There is plenty of hard drive space for CD-quality recordings onto the hard drive. You can create tracks on the fly, as well as add DSP after the recording is done. My only beef is for a 700 dollar piece of equipment... why is there only a 4x burner on there? Lame. In terms of duplication, I'm going to rig up a Win XP based setup that can do 3 cdrs at a time. A system like this is relatively cheap, especially if you have spare PC parts lying around.

avguy

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2004, 10:24:24 am »

We record the sermon using a Denon Pro 550 CD recorder.  I take the feed from an aux send so I can control what is recorded vs. the house sound.  We use a Microboards 8 bay duplicator to distribute CD's immediately after the service.  This has become a very active ministry and one that I highly recommend to others.

We currently label the CD's with the paper label stampers.  I want to get away from this by purchasing a Primera Bravo printer/duplicator.  This will allow us to print the labels using the ink jet printer, and provide a second style duplicator for the ofice staff to use during the week.

We lost power to the sanctuary during a service.  Actually it was during the closing prayer.  Since the CD did not get finallized, the recording was not readable.  We sent it off to a data recovery service and for about $75 they extracted the data off the CD.  It is not normally worth this expense, but this was a special service and we really wanted the recording.

I have since installed a whole system UPS from Tripplite.  It cost about $1000, but will power everything including the video projector.  I view this as cheap insurance to prevent damage to our equipment.

I have had several requests for putting multiple sermons on a single CD.  Most sermons are about 30 minutes long, so I can get two on a CD, but the request is for up to 10 sermons.  Does anyone know how to compress the data to get more on a CD, and still be playable on a car CD player?  Converting to MP3 would be an option but very view CD players have MP3 decoders.

I am a new member and look forward to exchanging ideas.

Best regards,
avguy

nturner

• http://www.oakcreekag.org
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 06:44:36 pm »

I don't know that our method is the best way, but it gives us flexibility.  We use Pro Tools LE to record the entire service.  We only sell the sermon portion on CD and have them available the week after for those who ordered the disc.  Every couple months, we take the worship songs and make "worship CDs" with three songs or so for our small groups.  That way, all the groups are assured to have decent quality worship.

We also make people pay up front for their media (video, tape, or CD).

We take the feed off a matrix output.

vlmjr

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 03:39:52 pm »

I just started looking at the MasterLink as an option for digital recording of our services.  Currently we do tapes and want to move to CD.  Here's my big question... our services often run close to 90 minutes which is too long for a standard audio CD.  I want to include everything (music, sermon, etc.) on one CD.  Can the audio data be compressed to fit on a CD or is the issue simply "74 minutes means 74 minutes" and I'm out of luck for anything over that?

Mike Allgeier

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 05:28:57 pm »

We are using the Marantz CDR-300 to record the sermon on and also to cassette for backup. It's saved our butts several times when a CD has failed or in one instance I tilted the CDR to get a piece of paper out from under it. It stopped recording. OOoops!! We then duplicate on a Primera Bravo II CD/DVD dupicator/printer. It works well but it's not as "set it and leave it" as Primera touts. There always seems to be some sort of little glitch when we tell it we want 15 copies of something then go off expecting to find them all doen when we come back.
The guy that handles duplicating for us also dumps the CD onto hard-drive and keep it on there for several months. I'm not sure why he does that but he does. I guess if he gets a request for something he finds it easier to find the requested sermon cataloged on the PC than search through the CD binder we keep. (I've been running this ministry all by myself for the last 4-5 years and I finally got some help with it. He's doing a great job as far as I can tell so I don't tell him how to run his end of it.)
Our console is one that has L-C-R outputs on it so I run the C (Centere) to the house and feed the L-R to the recorders and to the video feed for the nursery.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 05:28:57 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.