ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAB Horn Heat on Access Panel?  (Read 3868 times)

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
LAB Horn Heat on Access Panel?
« on: April 07, 2008, 02:08:42 AM »

Just curious if this is pretty much they "Hey we're really close to dieing here" sign or if it's pretty normal and doesn't matter much.

I have aluminum plates on my LABs

-Josh Billings

Marjan Milosevic

Re: LAB Horn Heat on Access Panel?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:16:31 AM »

Mine do get worm.
After blowing them up on the second night (no HP filter)they show no problems after 3 years of abuse. Frankly i don't  use them often recently.

Jeff Woodford

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:07:49 PM »

I have noticed the aluminium covers on my labs getting warm at the end of the a gig. It hasn't ever resulted in a driver failure though. The gap between the back plate of the driver and ali cover is very small and if the boxes are made a few mm out then the driver can be right bang up to the plate.
Jeff Woodford
Technical Sales
LMC Audio Systems.
London, UK.

Art Welter

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:48:01 PM »

If your cabinet is 50% efficient, (unlikely that the Lab Sub is that efficient, but..) that means roughly 50% of the amplifier output power is going to heat.

If the power to the cabinet averaged only 200 watts, that means you have the equivalent of a 100 watt heater on continuously inside of that little chamber.

You should expect warmth, just as you would expect an electric space heater to be warm.

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »

I wonder how much heat is too much heat.

I HATE getting these things reconed...such a pain in the ass especially since the T-Nuts always seem to come out Wink

-Josh

Jeremy Bridge

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:04:28 PM »

We stopped putting T-nutz on the access pannels cause it's such a pain in the ass and just use normal screws now.  Really once the silicone drys it's more than enough to seal / keep the pannel inplace.

If you have to take the pannel off/on so many times that your screw holes are stripped then you've got bigger problems Razz

Gary Perrett

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:08:40 PM »

I've glued the T nuts in from day one.. (old problems with other speakers) and had no problems with them...The speakers are going to create heat... there's no stopping that. If your worried. Doesn't Wayne Parnham have retrofit its for the labs he sells for cooling the lab 12's?
Gadget
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.