ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: stage/stair lip speaker options  (Read 8787 times)

Adam Kane

stage/stair lip speaker options
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:30:48 PM »

Anyone have any suggestions for this application?  I'm somewhat familiar with the SLS 2413ST, but I'd like opinions on other options.  Anything a little cheaper?

Brad Weber

Re: stage/stair lip speaker options
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 02:10:11 PM »

Bag End TA6000-S, OAP NF-241HP or NF-331HP, Renkus-Heinz SGX42 (SG42 is a powered version) and Tannoy IS52.  I'm not sure how prices compare.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »

Electrovoice has a new in-wall version of the EVID:

http://electrovoice.com/products/601.html

Don't know pricing yet, though.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »

Meyer has an excellent "munchkin" speaker that sounds great, but I'll bet is is not cheap.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Tom Young

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 08:09:44 AM »

There are many loudspeakers that could do this job. The following are better than most of the others.

EAW (JF60, JF80, UB-series)
Yamaha Commercial
JBL
EV (Xi1082, perhaps others)
Meyer (selfpowered and probably the most expensive)
Renkus Heinz

I think it is also important to try to match the supplemental loudspeakers in a system to the primary loudspeakers.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Adam Kane

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:14:01 AM »

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I'll get to checking them out.

Chris Glanzer

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 08:49:20 PM »

Hello Adam,

I actually use four Evid 4.2's for this exact use.  They only have spring clip connectors on the back...that bites.  

To work around this, I installed two NL4s on each Evid.  I wire two of them on pair one of the NL4, and two of them on pair two of the NL4.  The unused pair is passed through the speaker so that they can be daisy chained.  With each Evid being an 8 ohm load, all four of them load both channels of an old Carver pm1.5 nicely.

The real beauty is in the flexibility of this string of Evids...I can put pairs together to mimic whatever stereo spread I have.  

ie  -  ONE-->--ONE-->--TWO-->--TWO-->-->-->--AMP

However, when dealing with a theater with a loud pit...I put a pair in the middle and spit the opposite pair.  This allows me to run my vocal front-fill matrix louder in the middle.

.............Really Loud Pit..................
ie  -  ONE-->--TWO-->--TWO-->--ONE-->-->-->--AMP

Of course, these speakers need a significant high pass for protection as well as a bit of high shelf cut to smooth them out a bit.

I have used them to front fill comedy acts, theater, worship bands, rock, and symphony. Initially, I was going to place a DPDT switch so that each speaker could select pair one or two...but that could potentially drop the load below 4 ohm...and the old Carver would not like that very much.

I can post some pics if you would like.

Chris Glanzer
GlanzerProAudio

Adam Kane

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 08:20:17 AM »

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I think I should have been more specific in my first post.  I'm looking for a installation style speaker with the back box for installation in poured stairs/stages.

Big thanks to everyone who's given ideas Smile

Tom Young

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 10:20:32 AM »

I suspect I cannot recall all of the manufacturers who provide this type of loudspeaker (and there are not many), but the one's I evaluated were pretty bad: lousy LF response, lousy through-crossover response, poor build quality).

So I suggest you determine a well designed loudspeaker with the appropriate size, coverage and cost and then create a cavity for each of these in the poured concrete. make sure this cavity is a tight fit. I would go the extra step of suspending the loudspeaker boxes in the cavity with polyurethane pour (or spray) foam to kill vibrations, movement and cavity effects. Assuming the drivers are accessible from the front, this will not impact future servicing. I have taken the above steps with great results.

Bottom line: don't let your desire for a back box for installtion into slab be the determining factor in what you select.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Adam Kane

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 10:51:57 AM »

Tom,

Thanks for your input.  My experience with these is fairly limited as we have not had any installation that have required these until recently.  Regarding my experience with the SLS boxes...we went in to "repair" someone elses job.  They had them installed and had not bothered to adjust any delay/eq settings in the dsp so people up front were complaing that they were more of a distraction than a help.

After hearing what you have to say, I will probably make it a point to demo some of these things (once we decide on primary cabinets) before deciding on a model.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 17 queries.