ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: APB Dynasonics MixSwitch  (Read 46123 times)

Lee Brenkman

Re: APB Dynasonics MixSwitch
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 12:20:37 PM »

I note only that the side fills dwarf the cabinets in the main hang by a considerable amount.

Can't, nor am qualified to critique the rigging.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Jason Dermer

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 12:42:44 AM »

If Bennett is going to keep showing off his end of my rig, I get to throw at least one pic of my "after 21 years in this business I finally have everything that I want at FOH just in time to buy the inevetable PM5d" setup. Even if it is early in the day and I have not yet had the time to dress it yet.
index.php/fa/17104/0/
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

ThomasDameron

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 01:03:53 AM »

Jason,

That is gorgeous.  If you were to run all of your M2k's and M3k in dual input mode you could use every aux on the console.  True American excess.

Bennett,

I agree with you that it would be good to see some kind of safety on the switching of the Mixswitch.  As it is pretty much one of the primary vertebrae in the PA, don't you think the idea of the remote is a little ill conceived?  I could see putting a tap delay or some fx triggers on a remote, but why on Earth would you want the controls to change consoles close at hand?  I'm sure I would immediately drop my cans or talkback mic on it at the worst possible time.  Don't get me wrong, I think every festival rig should have a Mix Switch, but you're only going to use it once after the headliner sound checks, and once more before they go on.  Why would anyone want that button, that's getting pushed twice a day, close at hand?  Maybe they can re-engineer the remote to be the lockout switch.  At very least it needs to have the safety caps on the buttons like most SIP buttons.

Keep up the good work APB.  Just a little constructive criticism.  I look forward to every chance I get to mix on your consoles, and I'm doing my part to spread the word.  My dream is that every Venice on the planet will be promptly replaced with a ProDesk and they will all be turned into Easter decorations.  

thomas d.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 02:44:39 AM »

ThomasDameron wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 01:03

If you were to run all of your M2k's and M3k in dual input mode you could use every aux on the console.  True American excess.

Don't tempt him! He'll do it!

I hear he's wanting to buy a 56 frame so he can use the extra channels for FX returns...
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Joseph Yoon Jr.

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 03:12:33 AM »

ThomasDameron wrote on Mon, 28 July 2008 22:03

My dream is that every Venice on the planet will be promptly replaced with a ProDesk and they will all be turned into Easter decorations.  

thomas d.

and they would be PRETTY decorations with all that color  Twisted Evil  Very Happy
@ LAB to learn.

Chuck Augustowski

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 08:56:38 AM »

The remote is not an actual APB product but rather an example JP (John Petruceli - Chief Engineer of APB) came up with to show how the MixSwitch could be wired to be control from a remote location.  Bennett, upon seeing this box in our factory, asked to use it and we let him though there is no current intention to offer this remote as part of our APB product line.

MixSwitch is more difficult to accidentally switch when it is used (without a remote) in a rack as the change over switches must be held in place to cause the switch to occur.  Tapping it quickly will have no effect.  

Chuck Augustowski
APB-DynaSonics

Jason Dermer

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 10:50:37 AM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 02:44

ThomasDameron wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 01:03

If you were to run all of your M2k's and M3k in dual input mode you could use every aux on the console.  True American excess.

Don't tempt him! He'll do it!

Bennett you already know that I do it just that. And it really isn't excess per say, here is how I configure it if I am mixing:

Aux1: Subs, fed to the mono bus from the aux so that it both tracks with the mains and gives the option of just hitting the mono output on the strip to have the subs at zero.

Aux 2: SPX90  Mono in stereo out. Yep, I just bought this one N.O.S. to replace one that I retired two years ago. Preset 15, Symphonic, is one of my favorite sounds of all time and the versions on later SPX models just aren't the same. I use this one for chorus FX as well. Returns to stereo 1.

Aux 3: TC Helicon Quintet harmonizer. Mono in stereo out. I was in the market for an H3500 and happened to find this on the clearance shelf of a GC for $100.00. I'd say it's 90% of the Eventide, at 5% of the price. Returns to stereo 2.

Aux 4 fed to Matrix 1: D2 1 Mono in stereo out. There is a Boss FS5U guitar pedal on the ground to tap this one by foot. BRV and instrument delays, fed from the matrix so that I can also use it for any oddball tricks I may want to do with larger sections of the mix. Returns to stereo 3.

Aux 5: D2 2. Mono in stereo out. The green and orange box on the console is a modded FS5U that I can finger tap. Primarily for lead vox. Returns to mono 25 and 26.

Aux 6 M2000 1. Mono in stereo out. BRVs and instrument reverbs. Returns to mono 27 and 28.

Aux 7/8: M2000 2. 2 mono units, but I'll sometime go with 1 stereo depending on what I want to accomplish. The 1st channel is for snare and the 2nd channel is the rest of the kit and other percussion. Returns to mono 29 and 30.

Aux 9/10: M3000.  Stereo reverb for lead vox. Returns to mono 31 and 32.

Quote:

I hear he's wanting to buy a 56 frame so he can use the extra channels for FX returns...

I was planning on buying a Spectra Ti 56 and selling the 48 so that I have full use of 48 mono channels, but as things continue to grow I'm now planning on the 24 channel expander to use only as needed.

Oh yeah, the Mixswitch rocks!
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Steve Payne

• http://soundworksva.com
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 11:27:37 AM »

Hi Thomas!
 We've got a MixSwitch racked up in the main drive rack.  It is a really cool piece.  As far as accidentally turning off the PA, I think it is more likely to happen by accidentally hitting the power switch on the racks power conditioner.  
Haven't done that yet Smile.  The switch and mute functions on the MixSwitch require a very deliberate sustained touch before they engage.  
Hope you are busy and well!
steve

"My favorite things turn money into noise"

"Too much power is just right", - Carroll Shelby

ThomasDameron

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »

Thanks for the reply Chuck.  I knew that the remote was not a production item yet.  However, I didn't realize that it never will be and was just another of JP's mad scientist inventions.  I know the M.S.  has a lot more tricks up it's sleeve and a remote can help to bring those out.  I stand by what I said that it's not a good idea to keep the remote sitting around, or even connected, for a festival style console switcher.  However, it's no fault of APB's to have optional features that don't fit every scenario.

The change over requiring a press-and-hold is good news to me and I think that it's an acceptable substitute to a lock out switch.  I can see how having a lock out would be a PITA for some scenarios.  Knowing you guys, you probably thought of the idea and dismissed it for a better reason than I can come up with.

Keep it up APB.
thomas d.

PS- Hey Steve, where's your review of the Flex Array?  Sorry I couldn't make it out.  Jason invited me, but I was busy.

Ron Schroeyens

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 06:41:22 PM »

We just took one out on a 6 day festival and after the first day it went back in the box.
We had L,R, Subs, Side Fills and In Fills
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 15 queries.