ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: APB Dynasonics MixSwitch  (Read 46120 times)

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: APB Dynasonics MixSwitch
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 05:06:05 PM »

Nick Aghababian wrote on Tue, 10 June 2008 16:36

Might be a dumb question, but what is the third and fourth I/O channels for?  Aux subs or something like that?
There is a lot more to a big PA than left and right. Here is a photo of a console at a corporate show I did a while back. there are 15 speaker drive lines on that output section. If we had to do a console changeover on this show it would take 4 mix switches, even with 4 channels per switch. Four just seems like a sensible number. Left, right, front fill, subs, or what ever you might need, but it's expandable if you need more.

Mac

Chuck Augustowski

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 07:16:50 PM »

There is no limit to the amount of MixSwitch-Expanders that can be added to a mix Switch and each has 4 In + 4 In to 4 Out.  Two  monitor consoles with 24 output channels each would require 1 MixSwitch plus 5 MixSwitch Expanders.  This only expands the amount of output channels switched.

A single Mix Switch can switch up to three consoles when the stereo Line Input section is used for the 3rd console even though you only have Left and Right inputs, but this is routable to 1 and 2 outputs as a Left and Right signal and to outputs 3 and 4, both as a Mono signal.  When you add another MixSwitch master, you can now switch 5 consoles by plugging the 2nd mix switch into the 4 XLR connectors of primary input B.

Chuck Augustowski
APB-DynaSonics

Nick Aghababian

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 10:16:06 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Tue, 10 June 2008 17:06

Nick Aghababian wrote on Tue, 10 June 2008 16:36

Might be a dumb question, but what is the third and fourth I/O channels for?  Aux subs or something like that?
There is a lot more to a big PA than left and right. Here is a photo of a console at a corporate show I did a while back. there are 15 speaker drive lines on that output section. If we had to do a console changeover on this show it would take 4 mix switches, even with 4 channels per switch. Four just seems like a sensible number. Left, right, front fill, subs, or what ever you might need, but it's expandable if you need more.

Mac

I see.

I was thinking Console A + Console B > Switch > Processing only. **Think Bigger**

Steve Payne

• http://soundworksva.com
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 09:02:53 AM »

Our MixSwitch is now permanently mounted in the main drive rack and we used it for the first time on a Disco Biscuits show to interface their Digidesign into our system - LR mains and LR infills -.  There was a DJ (as in big time DJ, if there's such a thing) playing through our Spectra Ti when it was time for the Disco Biscuits to start their show.  Pat, the Biscuits mixer, asked me "Can we fade him down and me up at the same time?"  "Sure" I said.  I hit the sum button,  faded the DJ down as Pat faded his console up.  Than I unassigned the Spectra from the MixSwitch and finally unassigned the sum function.  Done.  Says Pat:  "That thing's cool."
I agree.

Here's a really lousy low light photo taken with my iphone.

index.php/fa/16208/0/
steve

"My favorite things turn money into noise"

"Too much power is just right", - Carroll Shelby

Chris Buford

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 06:55:06 PM »

Steve Payne wrote on Wed, 11 June 2008 08:02

Our MixSwitch is now permanently mounted in the main drive rack and we used it for the first time on a Disco Biscuits show to interface their Digidesign into our system - LR mains and LR infills -.

Does this mean I can divert this thread into a Digi Venue vs APB Spectra sound debate Wink

Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm stuck with a PM4000 doing high school graduations.

Good to see it made it out of the shop and into the rack.
Monitor Engineer/Lighting Designer
Carbon Leaf www.carbonleaf.com
www.deathstar.org/~cabuford

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 01:03:23 PM »

Here's another unexciting story of the MixSwitch doing exactly what it's supposed to do. I traveled down to sunny Asbury Park, New Jersey to put up a PA for Government Mule (plus weird opener!) this past Saturday. FOH featured an APB Spectra Ti 48 for the support act and the headliner's Digico D5, patched into the A and B inputs (respectively) of the Road Test MixSwitch, running L, R, Fills and Sub. We also plugged a CD player into one of the stereo line inputs on the MixSwitch, as well as an announce mic to make sure the PA sounded like an SM58. The MixSwitch fed a Dolby Lake Processor which handled audio from there.

JP's handy remote control and tally indication box hung out at console level to make sure we would never need to bend over to push any buttons, here TSL crew member Joe Vitagliano inspects it for proper operation:

index.php/fa/17078/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »

After I'd done my system tuning tricks and was satisfied that the PA was running on all 8 cylinders, I switched over to the headliner's desk and asked Gov't Mule's FOH engineer Slim if he'd like anything done with the system. I had fills underneath the line array hangs on each side to fill in the first 20' or so, and he asked for an additional set of vocal only fills on the front of the stage, to be fed from an aux on his console. No problem, I just patched his aux into input 3 on the MixSwitch, leaving a whole input not even used on the opener's side of the MixSwitch. A small pair of powered speakers were placed DS and attached directly to the MixSwitch's output #3. A happy compromise, now my fills keep their coherency with the whole of the PA, and he has his vocal fills to give a little boost where he wants them.

Here's an action shot of the MixSwitch and DLP mid-show:

index.php/fa/17079/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 01:18:27 PM »

The MixSwitch remote interface (and the little box JP built to attach to it) was quite handy, especially because it indicated to me that I'd left the CD input (which goes directly to the mains) on with the gain all the way down. I turned it off to make extra sure we wouldn't be hearing any playback mid-set.

My only worry the entire day was that it was a little too easy for someone to accidentally switch between or mute consoles mid-set... yes, you have to hold the button down for a second or so to switch, but one little button holds the power to shut the PA right off, as far as the headliner is concerned. With that button on both the front panel of the MixSwitch and on the little remote (which could be anywhere its cord can reach, god forbid the headliner's BE forget what it does and set a coffee mug down on it) I had it nagging at the back of my mind the whole show. It would be very nice if there were some way to "lock" the MixSwitch so that a switch must be pushed or a toggle flicked to allow switching between consoles... it just makes me nervous to have this one little unit arbitrating what audio gets to reach the mains.

In any case, a minor complaint, otherwise the little guy was great, provided an interested and brief conversation between the headliner's BE and myself, and saved us from having to patch one board into another, or anything of the sort. Heck, we could have struck the support board after their set if we'd wanted to, but there was plenty of time after they got off to do that and limited space at FOH.

Here's the little guy making music happen during the show:

index.php/fa/17080/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 01:25:34 PM »

Finally, a pre-show glamour shot from FOH. I never did see him use those big Tannoy reference monitors... I was kind of hoping he would just to hear what he'd do with them, only 100' from the mains or so.

index.php/fa/17081/0/

Unfortunately, this is probably the last time this particular MixSwitch will appear in a Road Test context, as I believe Jason is buying it.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »

Here's that photo in a higher resolution, but not embedded, for those of you who would like to nit-pick my rigging Wink
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 17 queries.