ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: APB Dynasonics MixSwitch  (Read 46121 times)

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
APB Dynasonics MixSwitch
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:47:15 PM »

I know plenty of us on the LAB have been waiting for APB Dynasonics to finish the MixSwitch and that day has finally come, MixSwitch Analog Master units are now available.

As seems to be a pleasing trend, I received one of the first units off the line for the sole purpose of kicking the hell out of it and reporting back to you here on the LAB. I just un-boxed this little guy today, so all I have is some ripped off feature set info and some photos, but rest assured there will be plenty to come.

Long story short, the MixSwitch provides an easy way to connect more than one thing to your PA without having to run it through a console. I've got this one in my FOH rack so that I can run my console and another for the support act (or headliner, depending on which hat I'm wearing) into the MixSwitch and switch between them for the show, or sum them together to let us both play with the PA. Plenty of metering and PFL capability makes it easy to keep track of what's going on, plus there are additional inputs for my iPod (so I can play setup/pre-show/take down music without tying up my console), an announce mic, and a whole other set of ins for a DJ or CD player. All the non-primary inputs have basic EQ and limiting to keep things under control. Also provided is a 15 pin connector for linking to additional MixSwitch slave units, or to allow general purpose switching/muting and indicators of the success of the same. The "iPod" and Announce Mic inputs are available on the front and rear panels for easy setup.

While I'm using this in its traditional capacity, clubs that don't have live sound every day may find it handy to tie their DJ into their sound system without re-patching, or to have basic announcements without having to touch anything. There's also plenty of capability to have an emergency system override of the sound system that would mute music from the consoles but still allow the PA to be used for announcements.

For more advanced needs, you can tag on a bunch of MixSwitch slaves (I think I pinned JP down to admitting that 8 would be allowable, which offers 36 input switching).

In any case, here's the full feature set again stolen from APB's website, and some photos:
  • Provides Ability To Easily Switch Between A Primary Digital Or Analog Console And A Backup Console
  • Select Between Headline And Opening Act Consoles In Concert/Presentation Situations In SWITCH Mode Or Operate Both Consoles Simultaneously In SUM Mode
  • Allows Selection Between FOH And DJ Mixers In Club Applications
  • Analog & Digital/Analog Versions
  • Announce Microphone Input With EQ And Limiting Independent Of Primary Or Secondary Consoles (Master Units)
  • Stereo Program Input With EQ And Limiting For Music Playback Independent Of Primary Or Secondary Consoles (Master Units)
  • Additional Stereo XLR Line Input Allows Connection To A Third Console Or Facility Input (Master units)
  • Input And Output Monitoring via LED Meters and Audio Solo
  • Highest Possible Audio Performance – THAT
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
Re: APB Dynasonics MixSwitch
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:25:16 PM »

Looks like another great unit from the folks at APB - can't wait for the reviews.  I'm planning on going up to tour the factory sometime in the summer.
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Chuck Augustowski

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:16:25 PM »

Here is an additional front panel photo of MixSwitch:

index.php/fa/15449/0/

Chuck Augusowski
APB-DynaSonics

Chuck Augustowski

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »

And a little better rear panel photo of MixSwitch:

index.php/fa/15450/0/

Chuck Augustowski
APB-DynaSonics

drewgandy

• http://gandymethod.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 09:02:43 AM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 16:47

I know plenty of us on the LAB have been waiting for APB Dynasonics to finish the MixSwitch and that day has finally come, MixSwitch Analog Master units are now available.

While I'm using this in its traditional capacity, clubs that don't have live sound every day may find it handy to tie their DJ into their sound system without re-patching, or to have basic announcements without having to touch anything. There's also plenty of capability to have an emergency system override of the sound system that would mute music from the consoles but still allow the PA to be used for announcements.

I'm having a hard time accepting the term "DJ" in relation to this product.  It looks sweet but its got to be completely out of budget for all but the most discerning DJs;)  Major festivals (obviously) and large churches are where I see this really being used.  Of course the yellow buttons and sony gray background make me think its a video switcher.  But what do I know?

drew

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:20:19 AM »

drewgandy wrote on Fri, 25 April 2008 09:02

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 16:47

I'm having a hard time accepting the term "DJ" in relation to this product.  It looks sweet but its got to be completely out of budget for all but the most discerning DJs;)  Major festivals (obviously) and large churches are where I see this really being used.  Of course the yellow buttons and sony gray background make me think its a video switcher.  But what do I know?

drew

I'm pretty sure that Bennett meant the clubs would purchase the MixSwitch so that patching in a DJ's rig would be simplified.
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 09:01:17 PM »

Drew,

The idea is that a club that has live music most nights can leave their installed PA and live band board in place and when it's time for a DJ, press a button and be ready to go, with a nice stereo limiter in place to keep an overenthusiastic noise maker under control. The controls for that could be anywhere, due to the GPIO on the back, and with the MixSwitch locked in an equipment room club management won't have to worry about having their patrons molecules disassociated by high SPL on off days.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 11:49:23 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 25 April 2008 21:01

...and with the MixSwitch locked in an equipment room club management won't have to worry about having their patrons molecules disassociated by high SPL on off days.

Heh...sounds like an advertisement to me! Very Happy
Wolf
<><

- Me

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 08:48:06 PM »

I stopped by APB on Friday for unrelated reasons, and talked to JP about some questions I had about the MixSwitch. He asked me if mine had the transformer option. That was the first I'd heard of it, so I took a photo. Mine doesn't have the transformers, but just so y'all know it's available from the factory on the main outs:

index.php/fa/15502/0/

We'll be using the Road Test MixSwitch at Bamboozle this coming weekend.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 08:50:14 PM »

Here's a detail shot about how complex the front panel controls are... Olga, JP, and Taz do some amazing engineering work. Those are 4 layer boards.

index.php/fa/15503/0/

That plug in card is metering, the one next to it (closest to you in the shot) is the limiter card, it's replaceable for easy modification.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 17 queries.