ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: APB Dynasonics ProRack Monitor M1016  (Read 51439 times)

Nick Morgan

Re: APB Dynasonics ProRack Monitor M1016
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »

I do not agree with IsraelRaz's opinions. The word "idiots" was used to convey the tone of his original post. I have nothing but respect for the people at APB and their products and I'm slightly irritated that I have respond to this. I also have respect for the professionals on this board. I've read thousands of posts and I am fully aware your skills credentials.

There was no reason for anyone to respond to me with any comment not directly related to the ProRack line. If you wanted to provide me with "helpful advice" you could just have easily sent me a PM and saved me the trouble of having to explain my actions. This will be the last post I make in this thread simply to avoid need to spend more of my time repeating this.

I still have every intention of purchasing a pair of ProRacks, however. If I'm ever in Virgina, I'll give you a call, Steve.

Nick.

Chuck Augustowski

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »

I really don't see what the fuss is about.  Everyone has there opinions and we like to hear them.  I too would have like to have seen mutes on the ProRack-House aux outputs and we have listened to customers comments which is why they are on the desktop version of ProDesk.  I have given my explanation on why they were not there on ProEack-House.

I do not think Nick nor anyone else said anything out of line but were referring to what they had read, thought or experienced.  And everyone has the right to respond professionally which they did.

Chuck Augustowski
APB-DynaSonics

bo putnam

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 07:03:30 PM »

Bennett / Steve...

Thanks for the posts, here.  I've read 'em over and over (and over).  

Just took delivery of one today - got tired of working medium sized halls with foldback and limited mixes.  

I'm getting the M1016 sorted out for a few gigs next weekend.  I've only trialed it a little bit in the shop but it is very impressive.  Overall quality and layout planning is genius.  Clearly marked, quick to visualize.  The sound quality is simply stunning.  Amazing stereo separation.

One question/comment for Chuck and or you'se guys: I knew ahead of time I was going to miss a talkback mic, but realize space is at a premium.  With everyone on IEM, it's going to be a lot of hand signals - no problem there.  But I've thought about using one of the last channels to get mixed as a talkback and then lastly adjusting that input into those mixes needing it.  How do you guys get around this?

I must admit, I'm getting jealous of our monitorgal...

bo

SOUNDsupport

<font size="1">oops - wrong door...</font>

bo putnam

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 07:27:18 PM »

A solution found for a talkback mic.

I had a custom case made over at California Cases (Sound on Stage) - a real beauty.  I left the M1016 and the snakes with Cal Cases to make sure my design would fit everything.  When I was picking it all up, Jerry Pfeffer was admiring the design of the M1016 (Jerry sez "Hi", Chuck...), and I walked him through all the great features of the M1016, but lamented the lack of a talk-back mic.  Jerry proposed using the Mix 1-8 Line inputs - all we'd need was a mic preamp and line-level output which we could split.  "Yeah, an 8-way split - what could possibly go wrong?"...  

Instead, through some digging we found the RDL RU-MLD4 Mic/Line Distribution Amp - 1 in / 4 out.  I made a small fantail for the inputs, and wired back to the detachable terminal blocks.  Input gain to the RU-MLD4 is set with it's gain pot (+4 dB LED); individual Mix 1-8 input gains set by the faders on the control surface of the M1016.  

The talk-back loom (all white) is shown in the center of the patchbay - the RDL RU-MLD4 lives in the case bottom (left in the picture), right below the patchbay.

index.php/fa/21336/0/

Since I wasn't using the Mix Line inputs, this solution works really great.  
bo

SOUNDsupport

bo putnam

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 07:29:41 PM »

Here's a picture of the RU-MLD4 and input loom...

index.php/fa/21337/0/

bo

SOUNDsupport

John Petrucelli

• http://www.apb-dynasonics.com
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2009, 02:57:35 AM »

Bo,
Nice job, glad you found a good solution.
Those Line-In jacks are handy for expanding the Mixer, or injecting line-level audio into any of the mix buses.
One thing though (maybe I should have responded earlier), you could have saved yourself some wire & plugs.
The Line-In jacks are daisy-chained normalled to each other (low numbered mix to high mix).
Just plugging into the Mix-1 line-in will feed all of the 8 mixes.
It's in the manual, but not indicated on the panel screening.
(Keep what you've got, of course, it works fine).

Post some pix of the completed rack; knob-side view for full effect!

Thanks,
JP
John Petrucelli
APB-DynaSonics

bo putnam

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »

John Petrucelli wrote on Thu, 05 March 2009 23:57

One thing though (maybe I should have responded earlier), you could have saved yourself some wire & plugs.
The Line-In jacks are daisy-chained normalled to each other (low numbered mix to high mix).  Just plugging into the Mix-1 line-in will feed all of the 8 mixes.

Rolling Eyes

See, it was a good idea!   Embarassed

FOTFL..  Felt oh-so-darn clever...  I spent a bunch of time on the block diagrams but apparently not enough "RTFM".  I somewhere saw they were normalled, but I guessed only wrt L / R but it never occurred to me normalled across all Mixes.  As I've said so many times with this beauty - genius! And, I didn't notice it on testing, as the Line inputs only meter post Mix fader - so, I only saw signal in the one channel I was testing.  

John Petrucelli wrote on Thu, 05 March 2009 23:57

Post some pix of the completed rack; knob-side view for full effect!

Here you go.

index.php/fa/21398/0/

My case has a doghouse sufficient to hold all cables, without breakaways - I need everything together, no extra cable box.  That doghouse holds a 16/4 snake with stagebox (50-ft), 16ch fan-to-fan (30-ft; returns to house stage box), 16ch fan-to-fan (10-ft, Mix sends), built-in AC quad box, and loose AC strip (for IEM transmitters).  I stuck an Ashly Protea 4.24G beneath the M1016 (on inserts), for those times where someone might want a wedge - I can drive up-to 4 ch of wedge Monitor EQ from the M1016 position, when needed.   Smile

btw, the band is nuts about this upgrade.  Sound quality and mix control has elevated their game - it was grins all around last weekend.  

I gotta go - I'm gonna go dumb-down my talk-back loom and harvest some TRS...
bo

SOUNDsupport

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.