ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Lighting - Weird Install - LED's, S4's?  (Read 1770 times)

PB & J

Church Lighting - Weird Install - LED's, S4's?
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »

Hey,

I've messed around with lighting for the past 10 years or more. I started out with a Leprecon 510 and some 360HP dimmer packs with some Par 64 1K's and Par 56 500 watt lamps.

Since then added more lights, dimmers, etc, etc.

I'm about to work with our church on a new install. The building we're looking at going in to has a very low ceiling (yuk!) and doesn't really have any lighting in it. We do a lot of contemporary music and we'd like to have some decent lighting - able to set moods and such.

I'm trying to decide if we should go w/ LED lamps -and here's my questions:

1) Are there any LED leko lights? I haven't found any yet - but for specials from the front it would be nice to have some lekos.

2) What LED's have a decent white. I've seen some that have absolutely horrible whites. Nice for colors - horrible for white light.

3) Should I just go w/ Source 4's instead of LED's? Source 4 Pars and Lekos?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Brian Yeager

Duncan McLennan

Re: Church Lighting - Weird Install - LED's, S4's?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »

My general understanding is that there are very few LEDs that can produce a decent white.  The ones that do exist are extraordinarily expensive.

I do not know of any LED elipsoidals.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Tom Weber

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:56:12 PM »

In my experience, white is the easiest color cover a stage (which makes sense because it doesn't have that pesky gel to go through  Razz - besides diffusion)  Why not get some LEDs for moods/color, and one or 2 ETC Pars or ParNELs for the whites.  I mean, it's not ALL LED lighting, but it's probably the easiest way to get both sold whites and nice colors.
Thomas Weber
Cornell Productions
Production Manager

http://www.activities.cornell.edu/cp

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 09:25:53 PM »

Brian,

You need to go to your profile and change your PB&J alias to your real first and last name as stated in the rules on the live forums.

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »

Quote:

1) Are there any LED leko lights? I haven't found any yet - but for specials from the front it would be nice to have some lekos.

There are no LED Lekos, and will not be any time in the forseeable future.  Lekos require a very bright light source, and LED technology is many years away, (if ever) from there.  There are some LED spot type fixtures and bulbs out, but these are pretty useless as stage lighting as they are rather dim, and are mostly effects type units.  LEDs are great for wash, but not so great for spots.

If you want to stay all LED, you could get some VERY NARROW beam LED pars and use those as the specials. While they wont punch through like a Leko, they would be an option if you need to be all LED.

Quote:

2) What LED's have a decent white. I've seen some that have absolutely horrible whites. Nice for colors - horrible for white light.

There are many manufacturers who make  ALL WHITE LED units. These sometimes have some AMBER colored LEDs in them as well so you can change the color temp of the fixtures by fading up or down the Amber bulbs.  If you want good whites from a color mixing unit, you probably need to go with a unit that uses more than three colors (like RGB) and pick one like a 7 color unit from Selador

Quote:

3) Should I just go w/ Source 4's instead of LED's? Source 4 Pars and Lekos?

ASs already stated, you could use LED wash units, and S4 or S4 Jrs (or any lekos for that matter) for the front specials. Or use conventionals for the front wash and specials, and the LEDs for the color washes and rear lighting.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.