ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too much to ask? A&H GL4800  (Read 6596 times)

Scott Sutherland

Too much to ask? A&H GL4800
« on: April 13, 2008, 05:12:29 pm »

I have been pondering for about 4 months whether to purchase an A&H GL4800 mixer.  I had a few questions that the tech staff was able to answer... sort of.  The next request was to the local distributor for A&H products: "Where could I go to look at a GL4800 before I purchase one?  I would be willing to travel up to 100 miles to see one."  His response was "No, I can't think of any right now."

Is it too much to ask to see an $8000+ mixer before you buy one?

When I expressed an interest in a Yamaha LS9-32, the local dealer called me back 8 times to try to persuade me to purchase one.  He probably would have dropped one off at my door for me to demo, but I explained to him I really wanted an analog board with automation.

Should I give up on A&H?

Scott (stuck on analog)
Scott1

Steve Hurt

Re: Too much to ask? A&H GL4800
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:23:12 pm »

Why not post what city you are located in.

You might get lucky and find a Labster who will let you come and check their's out.

Scott Sutherland

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 06:32:06 pm »

Done! Thanks!
Scott1

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 11:39:41 am »

Scott Sutherland wrote on Sun, 13 April 2008 17:12

...I really wanted an analog board with automation.

The GL4800 has automation?  Or are you talking about the various mute scenes you can have?  Maybe I'm just not up-to-date on the ne version of console.

Jordan Still-using-a-GL4000 Wolf
<><
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Scott Sutherland

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:39:34 pm »

Jordan,

I consider it automation (128 mute scenes and 8 mute groups).  No flying faders.

How do you like the GL4000? Has it met your expectations?

Thanks,

Scott
Scott1

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 01:39:14 am »

I enjoy using it.  The board is a permanent install at my university in a 697-seat auditorium.

I wish there was a switchable shelving/bell filter on the highs/lows.  The switchable wide/narrow bell on the peaking filter is handy for pinpointing those pesky freqs. that like to creep up on ya.  I would prefer a swept Q control, but I guess that's why there are more expensive consoles...

Some people don't like the feel of the faders on A&H boards - too flimsy; I enjoy their smooth and easy operation, but it is important not to bump a fader as it will move more easily than those on some other brands.

The MIDI is great if you set it up with Mute Scene automation to work with outboard FX, etc. (change the FX with the scene, good for theater/repeated song sets).

I've never worked on a Midas or a large-format Yamaha, so I can't compare features, feel, or intuitive design, but from my experience, it's a good board that anyone can work on so long as they know the basics.

<aside>I have been hankering to try an APB Dynasonics' Spectra series board.  They don't have mute scenes, but they have gotten rave reviews and many on the SR forums will be glad to share their experience(s).  PM Chuck Augustowski for more details or search the forum.</aside>
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Mike Palmer

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 03:31:23 pm »

Scott, shoot me an email, and I will arrange a demo for you with the GL4800 console..

Are you in the Pittsburgh area???

Michael Palmer
National Sales manager
Allen & Heath USA
michael.palmer@ah-usa.com
Michael Palmer
National Sales Manager
Allen & Heath USA

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 07:42:01 pm »

Mike Palmer wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 15:31

Scott, shoot me an email, and I will arrange a demo for you with the GL4800 console..

Are you in the Pittsburgh area???

Michael Palmer
National Sales manager
Allen & Heath USA

And there you have it...  Great to see a company looking out for it customers, past, present, and future!
Wolf
<><

- Me

Scott Sutherland

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 06:50:30 am »

Mike,

Thanks for your help in expediting the delivery of my new console.

It's everything I expected and more.

Thanks again,

Scott Sutherland
Scott1

Mike Palmer

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 01:29:10 pm »

No Problem Scott, Any Time, I Glad we
could make it work for you.
Michael Palmer
National Sales Manager
Allen & Heath USA

Toby Mills

• http://www.np.co.nz
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 11:45:05 pm »

Consider yourself lucky.
If I want something demo'd I would have to travel at least 3000km to Australia, or sometimes even further to the US or Asia.

I've learnt to read spec's very well and to do a lot of research before buying.

We recently spent $60k on a console sight unseen and its exactly as we expected it. All our FOH boxes were bought unheard and based on extensive reviews and research (more than a year or research and comparison).

Its possible to get everything you need to make very large and successful equipment purchases having never seen or heard the equipment.
In some ways its even better as it makes you anal about doing the research and finding out absolutely everything you can about equipment before you sign the cheque.

It also lowers the risk of getting sucked into marketing or salesman hype.

Interestingly enough, nearly all the equipment we have bought has ended up not being the standard stuff that everyone else seems to go for. We have the luxury of this because we operate in a non-competive and very isolated area. I think this says a lot about marketing and the sales tactics of a lot of the big name brands.

Incidentally, all our consoles are A&H though so I'd highly recommend the GL4.

noise productions ltd
www.np.co.nz
"can you please turn down the shit knob"

Davide_Bonetti

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 07:57:41 am »

hey Scott, I am sorry I see your post only now. I own a GL4000, and absolutely love it... unluckily it is starting to show its age, and I would change it only for a GL4800.

for what I understand, the boards are identical, except for new designed electronics inside and the possibility of dual power supply (without external combiner) on the GL4800.

I think no other board in that price range offers the same routing possibilities and all the features in general.

We also own a Midas Verona, but I never feel at home when working with it... how come that I have to talkback on ALL aux busses at once?  Mad
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.