ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electro Voice Eliminator i Sub E- Worth it?  (Read 24132 times)

Keith Buckner

Re: Electro Voice Eliminator i Sub E- Worth it?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 06:49:54 PM »

I have been using Various EV subs for a couple years now.
For the money there a good value. I currently use the older EV Eliminators, I recently upgraded my system and bought some EV Eliminators which I found out they where actually Elimnator i Series, shich look slightly different, same basic design only difference is the way the grills are inset on i Series and wrape around the front corners on the regulars.
I have never had any problems with these subs, only thing was the used ones I purchased had a couple of loose bolts on the speaker, they only use 4 bolts to hold the sub to the baffle in blind nuts, because of the speaker mounting angle I suppose.
To get the most out of these I have found to use a good crossover unit.. much better than the passive crossover built into the sub.
I use a Crown CE4000 to power two Eliminator subs, and Crown CE2000 to power 2 EV-Eliminator i 15" two ways.
I also use a DBX Drive Rack PA + now instead of an EQ and Crossover... It is the Sh***ts.. and.. 5 minuets and the whole system is pinked and rock solid, no matter what room or acoustics. Very well rounded and powerful sound for the money.

Walter Wright

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 11:22:05 PM »

bleecch! i'd rather have the stank b*ger sub.

unless your only requirements are subs that will slide under a low-built stage for no money, get something else. (my semi-regular house gig club is stuck with 4 of these for just that reason.)

all 4 have been blown a few times now (not by me!) the last time, the other regular house guy supplied a pair of yorkie ls808s while the EVs were getting re-coned (+1 to better speakers not fitting into those cabs). the 2 of them, poorly arranged one on either end of a very wide and shallow stage, and underpowered with one plx 3602 in parallel mode, smoked 4 eliminators center-clustered and getting the full power of that same 3602.  
Professional Guitar Repair Tech,
Semi-professional Sound Guy

Glenn Williams

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 07:21:07 AM »

Seeing that this thread has been resurrected once more and in reference to the one-note bass response often bandied about on the internet, I thought it interesting to reply.

If there was an overiding cabinet resonance or a singular peak fundamental of a predominant nature you would have one-note bass like response.

Never was a truer word written than in the case of this particular 6th order bandpass box. It was obviously engineered for efficiency at kick frequencies with a woofer not really suited to a linear 6th order bandpass response.

If you want to see a nasty response, forget the log paper and plot this abortion on square paper. (I have never understood the logic of ploting something with as little bandwidth as a sub on log paper). It kinda looks like the Matterhorn. Very Happy

82db@40HZ,88db@50HZ,92db@60HZ,98db@70hz,100db@75-80HZ,98db@90HZ,and 96db@100HZ.(All at 1w1m).

Not only is it one-note bass, it is minus 8db@60HZ, minus 12db@50HZ, and minus 18db@40HZ. Essentially it produces almost nothing below about 55HZ. Shocked

So the bandwidth is 68-95HZ minus 3db. Laughing

What a hunk of junk!

This is one of the most abysmal subs I have ever heard.

You can build a reasonably flat response 6th order box with a decent bandwidth arround an appropriate woofer, but this sure ain't it!

Even Community's MVP40, that became the MVP18, built in a similar tall/thin 6th order bandpass configuration, obliterates this sub, and it is close to being woeful as an entry level product.

I agree with the poster who said that $50 each is about what they are worth.

My classification of it, is that it belongs in the firewood category.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.