ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavy XR600F mixer  (Read 6730 times)

Forrest Morrin

Peavy XR600F mixer
« on: April 09, 2008, 11:02:36 AM »

I operate the sound system for our church. I am a novice when it comes to the inner workings of the system. I record the sermons on CD, operate the adjustments on the sound system, etc. But, I don't know that much about the in depth operations of the system.

Our church has a Peavey XR600F Powered Mixer. We use 3 microphones and 3 speakers throughout the building. Here is my question. When we built the building we ran all the wiring to the speakers and microphone underground through a 3" conduit. I know that the 3 microphones are connected to the front of the mixer. And, the 3 speakers are connected to the back of the mixer. What we
are confused about is the 7th cable connection we have going to the mixer, which is connected to the front of the mixer on the right bottom side to the "Monitor" connection. We do not have an amplifier (which the owners manual says the connection is for) and a mixer. We only have the mixer. We cannot figure out where the "Monitor" cable we have plugged into the front of the unit is going to?? It has been almost 10 years since we installed the system and no one knows what the cable goes to.

Please help. - Thanks in advance.

John Roberts {JR}

Re: Peavy XR600F mixer
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:38:56 AM »

Forrest Morrin wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 10:02

I operate the sound system for our church. I am a novice when it comes to the inner workings of the system. I record the sermons on CD, operate the adjustments on the sound system, etc. But, I don't know that much about the in depth operations of the system.

Our church has a Peavey XR600F Powered Mixer. We use 3 microphones and 3 speakers throughout the building. Here is my question. When we built the building we ran all the wiring to the speakers and microphone underground through a 3" conduit. I know that the 3 microphones are connected to the front of the mixer. And, the 3 speakers are connected to the back of the mixer. What we
are confused about is the 7th cable connection we have going to the mixer, which is connected to the front of the mixer on the right bottom side to the "Monitor" connection. We do not have an amplifier (which the owners manual says the connection is for) and a mixer. We only have the mixer. We cannot figure out where the "Monitor" cable we have plugged into the front of the unit is going to?? It has been almost 10 years since we installed the system and no one knows what the cable goes to.

Please help. - Thanks in advance.

If you are recording the sermons, perhaps that's the feed to your recorder?

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Forrest Morrin

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:47:06 AM »

I thought about that, but the recorder is fed by RCA connectors.

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:52:57 AM »

So this cable is not a speaker cable, it's a line level cable that gets a monitor signal?

Perhaps they ran that cable through the conduit, with the intention of someday adding a monitor mix to the stage.  They may not have had the budget to add a separate monitor amplifier and speaker at the time.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Forrest Morrin

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 12:03:38 PM »

I just remembered something! We have an Assistive Listening System that has a transmitter that is mounted above the false ceiling. If I remember correctly the transmitter has a 1/4" TRS connection for an audio cable to connected to. I imagine that cable hooks into our mixer at the monitor position.

Thanks for the help. - Forrest  

SteveKirby

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:45:11 PM »

Glad you figured out what the monitor send was driving.

I'm curious about your speaker connections.  I have the 680 (8 channel with effects) version of this Peavey.  Been bulletproof over many years of knocking around bars and various small jazz gigs.

It has two discrete power amps of 300W each.  I think in a different post John Roberts said that these were derived from the CS800.

Two speakers hooked to one side will give a lower impedance than one speaker hooked to the other side.  This will result in more power and a bit more volume to the pair.  How do you have the speakers positioned, and which ones are hooked as the pair?

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 02:03:52 PM »

SteveKirby wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 11:45

Glad you figured out what the monitor send was driving.

I'm curious about your speaker connections.  I have the 680 (8 channel with effects) version of this Peavey.  Been bulletproof over many years of knocking around bars and various small jazz gigs.

It has two discrete power amps of 300W each.  I think in a different post John Roberts said that these were derived from the CS800.

Two speakers hooked to one side will give a lower impedance than one speaker hooked to the other side.  This will result in more power and a bit more volume to the pair.  How do you have the speakers positioned, and which ones are hooked as the pair?

Bzzzt... no.

The topbox powered mixers may have been designed by same engineer as CS800, but are clearly a different animal. Less power and somewhat lower performance. By this I don't mean to diminish the performance of these power modules but IMO the CS800 is grossly under appreciated for it's sonic performance. Of course a 240W @ 8 ohm amp is a bit of a joke by today's power standards and nobodies going to consider a fan cooled amp for critical listening..

The closest rack amp models to these old power modules were the M2600- M3000 that are long obsolete. The top box power modules are your classic "Brick Sh House". Good performers and hard to kill.

The newer generation of power modules are much higher output power and IIRC scratch designs using plastic devices and class G/H (multi rail) with design input from JD Bennet, so perhaps more like the GPS (Bennet) than CS1800G (Sondermeyer), or perhaps something entirely new.

JR

https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Forrest Morrin

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 04:32:21 PM »

Sorry fellas, but you all just zipped over my head Laughing My knowledge base on audio systems is at the bottom of the pole. I wish I knew more...but I don't.

Thanks again. Forrest

SteveKirby

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 06:11:36 PM »

Sorry,  I taught I saw a puddy cat.  You must have been refering to some other product and I thought you meant these integrated "topbox" heads.  I still see the old ones with the silver knobs being used and my box gets used every week at rehearsals.  As you say, effective and hard to kill, regardless of pedigree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 16 queries.