ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW KF850's or Nexo Geo 12?  (Read 50779 times)

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
EAW KF850's or Nexo Geo 12?
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:55:38 PM »

Alright, Im not making a move until early next year, but I want to start planning things out now. Business is exploding, and it looks like Im going to have a pretty good amount of money to play with by the end of the year. Ive got a lot of 1000+ person shows in the May/June time, and they just keep coming in. So, I want to be ready for next year, as I expect even bigger things.

Here's what Im looking at now:

If I get Nexo:
5 10 degree boxes per side
1 30 degree downfill box per side
Flyware
Nexo Processor
1 QSC PL236 per side for the horns
1 QSC PL6.0 per side for the lows

Pros:
-Small, lightweight
-Easy for one person to transport/rig
-Sound good
-Rider Friendly
-Doesnt need a lot of amp power

Cons:
-Expensive
-Need to fly: need to rent lifts or buy them

If I go EAW:
3-4 KF850z's (or ef's that i upgrade) per side
1 QSC PL236 per side for highs
1 QSC PL236 per side for mids
1 QSC PL6.0 per side for lows
dbx DR480

Pros:
-Cheaper and easy to find used
-Rider friendly
-LOUD
-Can ground stack

Cons:
-Old and heavy
-takes up lots of space
-Need 2-3 people to stack
-Need lots of power

It seems like the Nexo route would be better, but the whole flying thing worries me. I'd keep my SLS920's around for smaller gigs either way. Do you guys rent lifts as needed or just buy them? I think the geo's have a ground stack kit, and that would probably work well for some shows.

However, 850's are THE rock box and would probably work fine for me, but they are big and heavy. It also seems like I can use less EAW boxes to cover the same amount of power too.

Ideally, I'd like to cover ~2000 people max outdoors with the rig. I'd like the rig to hit around 106dBA without straining @ FOH. Subs are not an issue, as Im taking care of them now. Space is also not really an issue. Im going to rent trailers/trucks on a gig to gig basis and build it into the production costs. That way I dont have maintain a truck or deal with figuring out where to park it. Im also getting a storage box soon with 24/7 access, so I'll have plenty of space to store everything.

Also, Im taking care of "foundation" gear this year. Im going to buy real road cases, a Power Distro, more cabling, stands and mics this year. I'll be renting consoles on a gig to gig basis too. I can get an M7CL for next to nothing.

Thanks as always...

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Hal Harrison

• http://www.harrisonpro.net
Re: EAW KF850's or Nexo Geo 12?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:28:50 PM »

Evan,

I don't think you are comparing apples to apples in regards to Nexo GeoS12s and EAW 850s.  GeoS12 is a brand new technology and box whereas the 850 is 15-20 year old technology. True, they are both rider friendly but their is better trap boxes with newer technology which are ARRAYABLE, LIGHTER, and SOUND BETTER than 850s.  For instance, I would take a hard look at Danley SH-50s.  They are great sounding boxes and the beauty of them is that they are passive.  I am pretty sure you have a PL6.0 (reading from some of your earlier posts) and you could power 2 Danley SH-50s per side of a PL6.0.  Also, take into account that they are seamlessly arrayable and have low frequency pattern control to under 300Hz. I would also take into account subs as the TH-115s are awesome!

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:44:12 PM »

I'd go for the KF-850z's if I were you. Get a UX8800 instead of the dbx box and you've got a cheap awesome-sounding Gunness Focused rig. Knowing the type of shows you do, I'd think a Geo D would be a better choice for you than S12's, but you need serious $$$. Get the trap system now for cheaper, and save your pennies for the line array that really fits your market. Or use all the money you save on getting all the other foundation stuff together.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Brandon G Romanowski

• http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:54:23 PM »

+1 for Gunness Focused  850s. They will make you money.
Brandon G. Romanowski
Indigo Concert Audio Dept.
http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:03:41 AM »

Hal Harrison wrote on Mon, 07 April 2008 23:28

Evan,

I don't think you are comparing apples to apples in regards to Nexo GeoS12s and EAW 850s.  GeoS12 is a brand new technology and box whereas the 850 is 15-20 year old technology. True, they are both rider friendly but there is better trap boxes with newer technology which are ARRAYABLE, LIGHTER, and SOUND BETTER than 850s.  For instance, I would take a hard look at Danley SH-50s.  They are great sounds boxes and the beauty of them is that they are passive.  I am pretty sure you have a PL6.0 (reading from some of your earlier posts) and you could power 2 Danley SH-50s per side of a PL6.0.  Also, take into account that they are seamlessly arrayable and have low frequency pattern control to under 300Hz. I would also take into account subs as the TH-115s are awesome subs!

Danley stuff is not of interest to me.

Evan

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:08:27 AM »

brandon g. romanowski wrote on Mon, 07 April 2008 23:54

+1 for Gunness Focused  850s. They will make you money.

I forgot about the Gunness processor. I'll definitely get that box if I go EAW.

Evan

John Chiara

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 12:18:27 AM »

Hal Harrison wrote on Mon, 07 April 2008 23:28

Evan,

For instance, I would take a hard look at Danley SH-50s.  They are great sounds boxes and the beauty of them is that they are passive.  I am pretty sure you have a PL6.0 (reading from some of your earlier posts) and you could power 2 Danley SH-50s per side of a PL6.0.

The Sh 50's are a 4 ohm box..one per channel of 6.0 is about right.
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

SteveKirby

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:32:59 AM »

Evan,  have you heard a large ground stacked KF850 rig?  Even with the Gunness, it's still a very forward sounding rig at close range.  Arrayed in an arena is one thing.  But piled up in a ballroom is another.

My drummers dad has a local company that can pile 9 of these a side.  No fun for him having to help lever them up there.  But the bigger issue is that they are losing gigs to folks with Vertecs just because the stacks of traps bit has fallen out of fashion.

If you can manage to put together a Nexo line array, even one with some limitations in ultimate volume compared to a wall of boxes, you will find yourself on the short list for more jobs from more promoters.

Troy Gwin

• http://www.acsweb.com
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 01:46:32 AM »

If you decide to go the 850/trap route you might want to look at the KF650z instead.  It uses the same drivers but doesn't have the horn-loaded 15".  The result is a smaller box with less pattern control at lower frequencies.  The output should be the same.  The "z" version of the KF650 also sounds amazing with the UX8800.  We have them for our smallest rig and love them.  I would also chose them over the Danley for several reasons--more output, rigging, cross-rentals, rider friendly, etc. (even though the Danley is a great sounding box).
ACS Sound and Lighting
Sound - Lighting - Video - Staging
www.acsweb.com

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 01:51:25 AM »

Troy Gwin wrote on Tue, 08 April 2008 01:46

If you decide to go the 850/trap route you might want to look at the KF650z instead.  It uses the same drivers but doesn't have the horn-loaded 15".  The result is a smaller box with less pattern control at lower frequencies.  The output should be the same.  The "z" version of the KF650 also sounds amazing with the UX8800.  We have them for our smallest rig and love them.  I would also chose them over the Danley for several reasons--more output, rigging, cross-rentals, rider friendly, etc. (even though the Danley is a great sounding box).

The 850's have 2db more output on the lows and highs. Mid output is the same.

I looked at the 650z's, but I didnt see them as a huge upgrade over what I have now.

Evan

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 01:51:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.