ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who made the first decent professional cinema subwoofer?  (Read 22444 times)

Gene Hardage

• http://www.SarasotaSlim.com
Re: Who made the first decent professional cinema subwoofer?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »

Not sure of the time line but let's not forget our good buddy Rick Ramsdell for his early efforts to bring the low notes forward with his 27" sub.   I think that was about 20 years ago maybe more.  In talking with him he mentioned that the only large woofers at that time were kinda weak - like the EV 30 thing that only handled about 100 watts.  He made that 27 to do some damage and it handled some serious watts.  One of his demos was to plug a zip cord into a wall outlet connected directly to the speaker and watch it dance at 60hz without blowing!   I wonder how many are still in use today?
Gene SARASOTA SLIM Hardage
http://www.SarasotaSlim.com

Dave Rickard

Re: Who made the first decent professional cinema subwoofer?
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 11:53:46 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Wed, 30 April 2008 00:26

Mark,

Please check out the brochure again, though I never have seen the actual specs I would think the 30W  could put out 113 or even 123 dB at 4 foot. With 100 watts and a refrigerator size cabinet, those units could certainly make way more noise than 93 dB max.

Cone sag was a problem for the 30W long term,  a lot of styrofoam hanging on a little voice coil in a narrow gap.

Interesting to look at older specifications, the 1987 EV brochure for the EVM-18B shows:
30 feet at .001 watt input: 51 dB
10 feet at 1 watt input: 91 dB
4 feet at 200 watt input: 122 dB

Takes some math to convert those figures to the 1 watt one meter standard!

Anyway, I have seen unintentional errors in EV brochures, but the 30W was basically an SRO with a humongous flapping cone, so I would expect it to be in the mid 90 dB range at one watt one meter like most of their cones. Someone on the  Lansing Heritage site posted a much higher figure than that, FWIW.

Have not heard any good things about the cone, other than it went damn low, but it was one of the few cones from that era that was able to get down to the low pipe organ notes with appreciable level and efficiency.

I just came across one of these EV styrofoam woofers mounted in a very large cabinet at a local church.  I'll see if I can get photos.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.