ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: lol @ mackie  (Read 19210 times)

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

lol @ mackie
« on: March 28, 2008, 02:22:57 PM »

Went to put up some Mackie SRM450's (i think that was the model) Yesterday.

Nice job on that one guys!
Per the books "uses standard 10mm eyebolts" I think nothing of it and show up with regular eyebolts.

You cant put an eyebolt in the pullback.

Mackie doesn't make a kit to deal with this - you have to buy a rigging 'kit' for 50+$ from ATM. Basically this is 3 eyebolts and an extender. All made in China. I don't fly stuff with Chinese steel.

Not that I would ever spec a Mackie self powered speaker for an install - now I certainly will stay away from this box.

Brad Weber

Re: lol @ mackie
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »

I actually find myself in the odd position of somewhat defending Mackie!  I agree that it's a pain that you can't use standard hardware due to the cabinet design but after quick looks at the SRM450 manual, spec sheet and online info, I don't see where any of these indicate that you can use standard eyebolts, only that the SRM450 has integrated M10 mounting points.

The SRM450 Owner's Manual states "These are M10 inserts. M10 threaded eye-bolts (M10 x 1.5 mm x 20 mm) are available to fit these inserts (PA-A1 Eyebolts)." while the spec sheet notes under Options "PA-A1 forged shoulder eyebolt hardware (M10 x 1.5 mm x 20 mm)".  The PA-A1 is a Mackie item and if you look at one it is not a standard eyebolt, it has the 'extender' or standoff you mentioned.  Admittedly, they might be made in China right alongside the speaker, but Mackie apparently does offer the appropriate eyebolts.

I actually have to possibly congratulate Mackie here as apparently the PA-A1 is not easy to find because you have to go through an authorized dealer.  I'm guessing that maybe they don't actually want everyone trying to fly their speakers so they limit the accessibility to the related hardware.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »

Why can't you use normal eyebolts? I got mine from fastenal.

EDIT: They are china ones though.

index.php/fa/14999/0/
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:22:42 PM »

you won't fly stuff with chinese steel, but you're ok putting your american steel into chinese threaded inserts mounted into a chinese frame?

We're not talking about a line array here..
Safety is safety, but under 100lbs I don't think it matters where your steel comes from. especially if it is a manufacturer part..

Jason

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:12:29 PM »

If thats the case Mackie isn't aware they make that part - and sent me to ATM flyware.

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »

Sorry, I misread.. but do you think ATM would risk selling flyware that might have even the slightest chance of failing?

prejudice against china over a hunk of metal seems a bit silly for such a light speaker (we're not talking about a 2-ton motor here)
especially for a pullback..

Jason

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 10:23:52 PM »

Lollipops with metal shavings in them.. Led paint..
yeah their quality control is superb!

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 09:01:18 AM »

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney) wrote on Sat, 29 March 2008 22:23

Lollipops with metal shavings in them.. Led paint..
yeah their quality control is superb!

Get over yourself here dude, I have had as many problems with american made as I have from anywhere else.

For all of the issues I have with China and its government, your instance that their rated flyware is somehow inferior is simply silly. If a trusted and reputable company such as ATM sells it and endorses it, then  I would think it would be _you_ with the questionable quality control practices.

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Brad Weber

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »

Okay, but I still don't see where anyone indicated that you could use standard eyebolts.  All the literature seems to say to use the Mackie PA-A1 and apparently Mackie sent you to ATM to get their version, but where did any of Mackie's literature suggest that you coudl use standard eyebolts?  You apparently assumed that you could use and that is understandable but the misunderstanding is not Mackie's or ATM's fault.

Adam, I'll let those who know rigging correct me if I'm wrong but from my very limited understanding that doesn't look like a very good example.  With the exposed thread and the load likely coming at 90 degrees to the direction of the eyebolt (unless you pullback is off to the sides), I believe that essentially has a very diminished load capacity.  The eyebolts that Mackie or ATM provide are threaded for only part of the length so that they can be screwed in tightly and then have a thickened shank where they extend.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Sun, 30 March 2008 10:45

Adam, I'll let those who know rigging correct me if I'm wrong but from my very limited understanding that doesn't look like a very good example.  With the exposed thread and the load likely coming at 90 degrees to the direction of the eyebolt (unless you pullback is off to the sides), I believe that essentially has a very diminished load capacity.  The eyebolts that Mackie or ATM provide are threaded for only part of the length so that they can be screwed in tightly and then have a thickened shank where they extend.

For a pull back I really don't think it matters, we use the short guys on the top for the load bearing points. if the pull back breaks/rips out, i still have the two on the top to hold the weight of the cabinet. Yes it might not be fully right in some people's eyes but for a 55 pound cabinet its as safe as I could think it could be.

I've hung these hundreds of times with these eyebolts and have yet to have a failure. The eybolt is screwed in as tight as it can go without busting the plastic. (If you ever take a 450 apart the flyware is not that gloriouse in the first place.)

Not saying it might be wrong, but I trust my numbers and track record with these.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.