ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zoom H2 Question  (Read 2329 times)

Brad Richard

Zoom H2 Question
« on: March 23, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »

I burn backing tracks I record onto cd's for my live, one-man shows. I play through a dvd player. It works fine, but I'd like to downsize. My main pro audio dealer suggested using a Zoom H2 for either wav. or mp3 playback. It's an interesting idea, but I have concerns about a 1/8" jack out to my PA system. Does anyone have any experience with this little unit as a playback device for live sound?

Thanks,
Brad

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
Re: Zoom H2 Question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 06:17:56 PM »

Brad Richard wrote on Sun, 23 March 2008 17:42

...I have concerns about a 1/8" jack out to my PA system.

Brad,

If you can use the H2 for playback, then by all means do so.  Don't let a little 1/8" jack intimidate you!  Get a Whirlwind PCDI (http://www.whirlwindusa.com/dirbox.html)or a ProCo iFace ( http://www.procosound.com/?page=viewprod&cat=242&id= 791)

Hope that helps!
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Matt Johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 07:18:53 PM »

Do you own an iPod?  Why not go with one of those?  I think a 1gb shuffle is something like $79 and would definitely be a down-size.  

Paul E Fenelon

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 09:10:24 PM »

Hi Brad

I used one about 3 weeks ago and the quality was great. Mini jack headphone out into line level 1/4 jacks worked fine. Make sure you record and playback at 320kbt (best MP3 quality for longest play time). 2gb card is also essential. They sell with a 512. If you want use 2 x DI's. I have seen a few Touring Pro BE plug their iPod into 2 x DI's for walk-in, pre show music.
I do think that mini-jacks do have a short life tho.

The H4 has XLR ins but still the mini jack out.

Good luck
Paul
ADR Audio - KV2

East Coast Touring Services
Australia, since 1992

www.adraudio.com.au

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 09:18:20 PM »

Brad Richard wrote on Sun, 23 March 2008 17:42

Does anyone have any experience with this little unit as a playback device for live sound?
I don't have any experience with the H2, but I do with the H4. I would not use an H4 as a live playback device, the controls are too small. I sometimes use the mini jack out on my laptop into a PCDI and have had no real issue, but a laptop is less likely to move around than the tiny H2.

Mac

Brad Richard

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give the H2 a try. I'm going to check out the iPod shuffle, but have some concerns about sound quality.

Brad

Matt Johnson

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »

My experience w/ the H4 would lead me to steer you more towards the iPod.  The H4 is rather cheaply made and tough to navigate.  But I haven't used the H2 at all.

You can choose very similar settings on the iPod when you import the music, I think?....  Smile

Ned Ward

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 07:03:52 PM »

For the money, the H2 is a fun little unit, and can do duty as well to record a show either with the built-in microphones or line in from the mixer. It's not going to replace  a touring truck, but for $299, not bad! I'm liking it. Mounts on desktop (mac) no problem like a flash drive. Also good for rehearsals, etc. to see what the band is doing well (and not).

Regardless of what you put on there, you can use uncompressed WAV files on the H2 or uncompressed AIF files in iTunes to ensure fidelity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.