ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reconing labs subs  (Read 5104 times)

ildefonso garza jr.

reconing labs subs
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:20:38 PM »

Hello, need some help/instructions on how to recone some lab speakers maybe some simple guide lines on setting the voice coil,I'am in the process of getting 2 recone kits any kind of help will help me greatly   THANKS TO ALL FORUM SUPPORTERS

Ivan Beaver

Re: reconing labs subs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:47:23 PM »

The steps will really depend on how the kit comes to you.  Is it preassembled- partially assembled (ie coil to spider) or individual parts.

You can find reconing steps on various suppliers websites.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

ildefonso garza jr.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:35:09 AM »

Thanks Ivan wil make a search for reconing info. any web site in paticular that might know of?    thanks

Raj Sookraj

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 06:18:01 PM »

On B&C Speakers website there is a tutorial on reconing their speakers.  However, Eminence sends step by step instructions on reconing their speakers in each box of recone kits.  You may be able to get a copy from your recone kit supplier or you can try emailing Eminence from their website.  It's about 2-4 pages long and includes information on the proper glues needed for reconing.  Good luck.

Jesse Soden

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:46:49 PM »

I purchased several re-cone kits from Martin Sound, but did not receive any instructions. I contacted Eminence about assembly instructions. But if I remember right, they could not or would not (that was about a year ago) supply me with any info. I did, however, get the adhesive part numbers. I will see if I can find that info for you, but I can't promise anything. Anyway, I was in need of quick assembly and ended up purchasing the adhesives at a local hobby store . The adhesives are a cyanoacrylic (superglue) compound. I used three different glues, with an accelerator (an absolute must!). The first is a thick CA, used to glue the spider to the VC. If you don't use a thick CA, it'll end up running down the VC (bad news). The second CA is designed for filling gaps, but is thinner. I used this to adhere the cone to the VC/spider assembly. The third is a flexible CA (black in color) which I used to glue the cone stiffeners (two) in place. Keep in mind, the stiffer/dust caps are glued in place last, after the cone is glued into the basket, using the plastic VC spacers supplied in the kit to properly space the VC in the air gap. I dissected a fubar'd cone to get the spider location. I then fabricated a fixture that the valley of the spider sits in to automatically sets the VC distance. I'll post the dimensions of my fixture in a couple of days. Granted, I did not use the super pure adhesives that eminence uses, but I have not had any of them fail. That's a short description for you. Let me know if you need more details. One last thing...cleaning the old adhesives off of the basket sucks! I ended up using a small right angle die grinder with a flap pad. I did try several solvents with little luck
Just remember, always keep the SUCK button clearly labeled!

Jesse
GS Soundworks

Tim Padrick

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 01:21:40 AM »

Another problem with using a too-thin cyano on the spider is that it can wick into the weave and/or the fibers, causing them to become brittle and rip.  I saw this on a LARGE batch of Malaysian hi-fi woofers about 6 or 7 years ago.

Gary Perrett

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »

The kits are parts only. Eminence supplies the shim, and instructions if asked. They also supply a Cyano Glue (and fast tack  hardner)recommendation which I can give you all of if you like..(however you need to buy a quantity that you may not be able to use...) I buy the kits from Jay @ Loudspeakers Plus. If your not a speaker re-coner though and haven't done any before this is NOT a starter project...I have also beefed up the glue joint from the spider/voice coil joint to the cone as I have had several fracture the cone where they join the spider/coil. (factory cones) these also have 2 progressively larger dust caps. You better measure and get the overhang correct as these will be able to go beyond xmax if overdriven and WILL hit the backplate if incorrectly re-coned. Note: exceeding xmax WILL destroy the surrounds even if you don't bottom out the voice coils, so more than about 1800 watts should be hi-passed properly and limited...  

G
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

ildefonso garza jr.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 01:59:21 PM »

Hello,I just reconed 2 labs, never had reconed a speaker before just need careful inspection and measurement of coil to cone and spider and careful assembly.. insalled them and used them 5/17/08 and back to business and about to order 3 more kits,, 2 to fix the ones that were replaced and 1 for reserve ;thanks alot to to you guys for all the instructions and education in every aspect of  learning audio in general!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.