ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Historical audio engineers  (Read 64256 times)

Scott Raymond

Re: Historical audio engineers
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 09:57:20 AM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Fri, 21 March 2008 19:13

Art Welter wrote on Thu, 20 March 2008 20:25

Got to use a Stanel system in Kearny Nebraska in 1978 using aux-fed subs, don't know for sure if Stan was the first to use them, but they had the concept well sorted out at that time, 30 years ago.

Helped that he already had a prototype Yamaha PM-2000, while many of the rest of us were slogging along on PM-1000s or the like with only 2 aux sends.

Art Welter

What was Stan's full name? I can't seem to find out in an online search.

-Bink

As the others have said Stan or Stanley Miller.  It's Stanal Sound, maybe that's what tripped you up.  Here's a little read about the Stanley Screamer.

Audioheritage.org

Another link that is actually a book review has a couple of photo's of the fly systems back in the day.

John Denver Concert Rigging

Page 161 and 163

Lots of interesting tidbits and trivia if you google Stanal Sound

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 05:09:13 PM »

Scott Raymond (Scott R) wrote on Tue, 25 March 2008 06:57

...Lots of interesting tidbits and trivia if you google Stanal Sound

Thanks for the links and the spelling correction! That'll get me a lot farther.  Very Happy

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
BGW Systems
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 07:48:41 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Tue, 18 March 2008 16:47

...Hopefully Abe will have something on Brian G. Wachner of BGW. I read on DIYAudio that Wachner was the kind of patriotic guy who would only design with parts made within his country (USA). He'd be pretty stymied trying to sustain that commitment today...

I didn't have enough on Wachner to write a good bio but there's a larger amount of reference material out there to get a fair BGW Systems article going. Here's the BGW page as it stands so far:

BGW Systems (page on Wikipedia)

Thanks go out to Milt Hathaway for sharing some good anecdotal material. You're alright, man.  Cool

PLEASE, somebody send me a nice and sharp straight-on photo of an old BGW logo as painted on the chassis of an amplifier or something. Or upload the photo yourself and put it in the article. I'd like to have the old, familiar logo represented on this page as well as the flashy new corporate one. Actually, any pictures or scans of BGW stuff will add value.

Of course, everybody should feel free to get in there and change the article wherever they see room for new facts or fact corrections.

-Bink (ratcheting this thing along between gigs and other projects)
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: BGW Systems
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 07:54:06 AM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Tue, 25 March 2008 18:48

PLEASE, somebody send me a nice and sharp straight-on photo of an old BGW logo as painted on the chassis of an amplifier or something. Or upload the photo yourself and put it in the article. I'd like to have the old, familiar logo represented on this page as well as the flashy new corporate one. Actually, any pictures or scans of BGW stuff will add value.

I've got some older brochures, including one with a nice picture of the older "original" line-up (85, 250, 750, etc.). I just haven't had the time to get one of my three #$*(& scanners to work. Now that I've gotten the Gig From Hell behind me, I'll see what I can do.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Art Welter

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »

Scott,

The show was Sha-Na-Na at the State Fairgrounds.

Sorry for misspelling Stanal sound, guess the old Standel (could also be misspelled) from that era partially swamped the memory banks.

The Stanley Screamers were good stuff!

Scott Raymond

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 11:55:56 AM »

Art Welter wrote on Wed, 26 March 2008 20:04

Scott,

The show was Sha-Na-Na at the State Fairgrounds.

Sorry for misspelling Stanal sound, guess the old Standel (could also be misspelled) from that era partially swamped the memory banks.

The Stanley Screamers were good stuff!

No biggie Art, It could go either way.  I can't remember if there was a story behind the al in the name or not. When you do a search you also get a lot of hits on German websites.  At first I though maybe stanal meant sound but I believe it is "stand" or "stood".  Stan grew up in Holdrege where I spend a lot of time and if you go to McDonalds the house is just down the block.

I can remember of Sha-Na-Na being in Lincoln at the State Fair but I can't remember if it would have been the old open air aauditorium or the new Devaney Center. (UNL Arena)  The Devaney Center opened in 1976 so hopefully you didn't have to deal with the accoustics and raked stage of the open air auditorium.   Laughing

Art Welter

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »

Scott,

Just looked in my August 1978 calendar and found that the gig I was thinking of must have been the Columbus Ohio state fair, August 17, 1978, 4:30 and 8:30 show.

The Stanal equipment probably was stenciled Kearney, Nebraska, or someone told us the company was from Kearney, and rolling out of the Dodge Travco we used as the crew bus, that’s what stuck in my memory of the day.

Art Welter

Scott Raymond

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 01:18:43 AM »

Wow!!! That's something to have your info from back in the 70's.  Must be interesting to go back and look up old times.

Warrick Moore

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 06:07:52 PM »

Lets not forget master acoustician Russell Johnson from Artec.
index.php/fa/15068/0/

Ian Hunt

Re: BGW Systems
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2008, 12:00:23 AM »

Found this.. from a 750a

index.php/fa/15176/0/

edits: for general sloppiness
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.