ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for BOSE alternatives  (Read 16336 times)

Rob Timmerman

Re: Suggestions for BOSE alternatives
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 01:23:23 PM »

While I realize that that response was tongue-in-cheek, I *did* suggest a line array.   Rolling Eyes

Stephen Askins

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 05:14:29 AM »

Hi Rob,
       your right !  Just goes to show I shouldnt post whilst relaxing after a hard day with a very nice glass of Australian red wine ! I was getting the speaker you mentioned confused with another speaker I'm putting into a very large hotel soon (that isnt a line array).  I was just impressed that someone on the LAB would say that a Bose product may actually suit a particular requirement and wasnt bound by the usual prejudice.  As you would realise, the original post kinda let the cat out of the bag that this was a person who really should not be involved in the installation side of things as there was no mention of the requirement.  Kinda explains my tongue in cheek response as I couldnt really take the post seriously!

Regards
Stephen Askins
Sydney, Australia

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 07:13:28 PM »

the reason I say distributed would be hard is that it has a suspended low-e ceiling and getting above that to suspend speakers, and then cutting through it to get them out would be prohibitively expensive.

I have never heard of a "low-e" ceiling. (I have heard of low-e glass.) Is it a grid and tile reflective ceiling with lots of insulation on top or is it sheetrock? Please enlighten us.

At any rate distributed is the only way that makes sense here. If the ceiling is either of these designs speakers can be installed from the outside into holes cut for them. It is usually a simple matter to fish wiring through the space from speaker to speaker also.

-Hal

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 07:56:40 PM »

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC wrote on Wed, 26 March 2008 19:13

the reason I say distributed would be hard is that it has a suspended low-e ceiling and getting above that to suspend speakers, and then cutting through it to get them out would be prohibitively expensive.

I have never heard of a "low-e" ceiling. (I have heard of low-e glass.) Is it a grid and tile reflective ceiling with lots of insulation on top or is it sheetrock? Please enlighten us.

At any rate distributed is the only way that makes sense here. If the ceiling is either of these designs speakers can be installed from the outside into holes cut for them. It is usually a simple matter to fish wiring through the space from speaker to speaker also.

-Hal

I found a picture..
the Low-e ceilings are a heavy foil suspended on tensioned wires. to create an air gap that helps in the cooling bills.
holes could be cut to expose speakers, but to get up to the main roof to properly suspend anything is impossible. and the material is not strong enough to support any weight.

index.php/fa/14963/0/

if this was a new build it would be a piece of cake but I don't think I can do a distributed system here. (no more than small speakers along all the walls and pillars)

Jason

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 11:21:04 PM »

Ahh, ok. It is soft with an aluminized fabric face. Similar to the insulation used in other metal framed "Butler" type buildings. No, can't cut speakers into that, they would have to be suspended below it from the structure above like the lighting fixtures.

Hate to recommend them but something like Soundsphere comes to mind. You should be able to gain access to the space above by opening the seams as necessary. That may not be easy or cheap and that's why they are recommending speakers in the corners instead of doing it right.

This is copied from one manufacturer's website:

"Among the distinct advantages of the installation of the
Energy Miser
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.