ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for BOSE alternatives  (Read 16338 times)

Jason Lavoie

Suggestions for BOSE alternatives
« on: March 10, 2008, 05:55:28 PM »

Ok, so nobody likes bose (unless they're used in a small room and for speech-only applications)

I'm looking for recommendations of what you might consider "equivalent" and when I say that I really mean, same sort of coverage and look/feel, but better bang for your buck in the SPL/quality department and overall better speakers..

mostly 402s and 802s

any good alternatives in the Community, TOA, or Atlas range of things?

Jason

Duncan McLennan

Re: Suggestions for BOSE alternatives
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:10:40 PM »

Same look?  It's not gonna happen, because the crazy multi-driver designs and strange cabinets shapes have a lot to with why they don't work as well as other products.

What's the application?

I have no idea of your budget, but look at any of the standard pro sound companies: EV, JBL, EAW, Turbosound, Yorkville (cheap here in Canada), Meyer, L'Acoustics, etc.  Lots of other options too.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »

thanks.
I'm thinking more in terms of when I have a customer who has a quote from someone else that has bose in it, I want something to be able to suggest to them that's about the same price, or at least no more than 1.5x the price that would do a better job. but still fit the same overall system design/layout if someone has already done a good job of convincing the customer where the speakers should all go.

Jason

Craig Hauber

• http://www.csaproductionsinc.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 06:53:17 PM »

you should have no trouble finding gear that will do an equivalent and better job for way less than bose.

For 802's try the E-V SX-300, for the 402 try an EV ZX-1.

(I'm thinking plastic-cabinet install speakers)  
There are many other options just from EV, but like a previous poster said, most any quality brand (JBL, Community etc..) will have good choices.

Craig Hauber
CSA Productions Inc.
Ventura-Santa Barbara CA
www.csaproductionsinc.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 08:54:57 PM »

You have given us nothing to work with.

First of all: What Bose and what application?  Price would help also.

Bose makes a number of different products as do other manfacturers.  You can't narrow it down like that.

Without knowing that, sure there are other loudspeakers available-now narrow it down.

It is like syaing are there any othe cars then Chevy?  Sure, what do you want it for?
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Rain Jaudon

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »

Endorsing Artist for CA Guitars - Lafayette, LA
http://www.CAguitars.com

Multitude Audio
Subcontracting under Magnolia Music Center
Audio Visual Installation and Service
Gulfport, Ocean Springs and Pascagula, MS

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 08:17:45 AM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Mon, 10 March 2008 20:54

You have given us nothing to work with.

First of all: What Bose and what application?  Price would help also.

Bose makes a number of different products as do other manfacturers.  You can't narrow it down like that.

Without knowing that, sure there are other loudspeakers available-now narrow it down.

It is like syaing are there any othe cars then Chevy?  Sure, what do you want it for?

yeah. I guess I'm asking for a magic bullet when any old rock will take out my opponent.

I guess I'm just worried, not having heard a lot of 402s and 802s that weren't blown or otherwise misused, that maybe someday I'll recommend something that isn't much of an upgrade and the customer won't be happy (although it hasn't happened yet)

Jason

Rain Jaudon

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 10:13:05 AM »

Gibson (and others) used to market a speaker system called DAWN back in the 90s.
Not sure if its still being made or is around.

Upward firing coax mid/hi speaker and a sub.
They had everything from a suitcase size to a trunk sized system. Passive. But 180 degree dispersion, no need for monitors, no hotspots of db in the room.

Endorsing Artist for CA Guitars - Lafayette, LA
http://www.CAguitars.com

Multitude Audio
Subcontracting under Magnolia Music Center
Audio Visual Installation and Service
Gulfport, Ocean Springs and Pascagula, MS

Tom Young

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 02:53:59 PM »

Another missing consideration is that the 802 (for example) has 120x100 dispersion. This perhaps can be used as an arguement against using it, depending on what the coverage needs are for the specific room and audience area under consideration.

Conversely; if the 802 (or one of its Bose kin) happens to fit the needs for targeting the seats and space, then almost any other loudspeaker will require multiples of devices to achieve this same coverage.

To summarize: if a client was trying to strong-arm me into using a Bose 802 (again: for example) the chances are VERY good that my primary arguement against it would be its coverage pattern, which would be too wide and too high for almost all spaces and suspension points.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »

ok. so I recommended Community R.5-66Z's (12 of them) to replace 12 Bose 402's plus sub and here's what the consultant is telling the customer about the comparison:

Quote:

The main difference is in the speakers. I specifically chose Bose because of the controlled sound coverage they provide. This is achieved because they use arrays of small cone speaker drivers. The quote from Lawson mentions a 12" woofer and horn combination which is not comparable to an array of smaller drivers. The coverage of a 12" and horn combination is not even at the different frequencies and is especially troublesome in the region where the sound crosses over from the 12" woofer to the horn. This is just a fact of life for these types of speaker systems, no matter what the suppliers may tell you.

I know the system will work with the Bose speakers. I'm not sure if the Community speakers could be made to work as well, as they are not really comparable to the Bose.

If we can stick with the specified equipment, I think this is the best approach. Changing things at this stage will require some extra work and I'm not sure would provide any performance benefits.

this is for a large 50M pool, with 6 speakers covering the audience (of about 6-700 and 6 covering the pool for aquafit classes (read: loud music with bass)

oh, and one more thing.. I think my quote may even be cheaper than the one with Bose in it.

Comments?

Jason
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.