ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for BOSE alternatives  (Read 13006 times)

Jason Lavoie

Re: Suggestions for BOSE alternatives
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 10:25:34 pm »

there are 5 pillars all in a row down the middle of the room, so I would be able to get wiring to the middle and have a pillar to mount the speakers to.

how distributed does it need to be for relatively even coverage?
from the looks of your model 8 smaller speakers (R.25?) in the corners and center cluster at the same time would be better than either one alone with larger speakers.

thanks for the help.

Jason

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 12:46:31 am »

If you've got the pillars, why not use them?  Treating the space as 10 30'x75' spaces should be somewhat more managable, from a coverage point of view.

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 09:01:28 am »

I was trying to keep somewhat close to what the consultant recommended since (although I have the customer's ear) the consultant is still on the hook for reviewing my work.

if he suggested 4 speakers and if I suggest 20 it might not go over too well.

From what I hear though, he's only billed an hour for reviewing the work in both the pool and curling rink. so he can't be too thorough.

Jason

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 12:30:09 pm »

That would make things even worse.  Shocked  You would have MASSIVE combfiltering all over the place!

The basic idea in ANY sound system is to have the sound start in a single source and then expand from that.

Since you have pillars all over the place, you could place smaller loudspeakers (first you have to determine the REAL needs of the customer) and delay them out from a starting point-whatever that might be.

Of course the labor would be higher and loudspeaker cost are unknown (due to the unknown-to me-usage), but at least it would work Laughing .

If it is not going to work properly I would walk away, rather be associated with a bad system.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 07:03:05 pm »

there aren't pillars all over the place. just 5 down the middle.. which is almost useful, but still not quite enough locations to help me out.. excuse the crude drawing, but here is how the pillars are laid out.
index.php/fa/14739/0/

if you could place 4 large, or 8 smaller speakers anywhere on the perimiter or on those pillars, what would be your best bet?

I agree with walking away, but at the end of the day this will still (regardless of speaker type or placement) be 100x better than what they have now, so I know the customer will still be happy. and the majority of the job is the pool, which I'm confident will be properly covered.

Jason

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 08:05:22 pm »

If those are the only choices of locations, I would consider putting a pair of 100
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 09:54:46 pm »

interesting..
how would a tall vertical coverage help with such a low ceiling? it seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Jason

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 10:01:39 pm »

The loudspeakers would be aimed with little or no down angle so the main axis would be aimed at the furthest listener.

The tall vertical coverage would be needed for the people who are seated under  or near the loudspeaker.

Another idea if budget was not an issue would be to use a couple (maybe 3) of Intellivox 2C stearable line sources.  You could control the coverage to just skim the tops of peoples heads.

There are usually a couple of ways to "skin the cat", each with its own pros and cons.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 11:12:11 pm »

In this particular application, Bose speakers might be a good solution.  Specifically, the MA12 column.  You get a fair amount of vertical pattern control, especially if you stack them 2-3 high, allowing you to keep sound off the ceiling and floor.  Very broad horizontal pattern, though.  

http://pro.bose.com/ProController?url=/pro/products/panaray/ panarayma12.jsp

Stephen Askins

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 05:50:44 am »

Hi Rod,
      how dare you suggest that a Bose solution may actually work after the original poster told us basically how much Bose sucks.  Please keep your informed opinions to yourself and try and recommend the flavour of the month; perhaps a line array?  Laughing
Stephen Askins
Sydney, Australia
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.