ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW SB-850 vs...  (Read 25817 times)

Whit Hutchinson

EAW SB-850 vs...
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:18:52 PM »

What are you guys opinions on this sub vs. newer high output 2x18 designs (ex. Vessary sub).  I have heard them in certain venues where 4 or less are used and they don't seem to get it done really (in my opinion).  Maybe they were being run conservatively.  

My question is are these still better than all other 2x18 designs that are currently popular in terms of real world output and extension? (JBL, PV, Etc)

*EDIT*
In most instances I have heard them under KF-850s 1 per sub.   Other times under some 650s
I have learned in my life:

-Pretty girls don't stay single long
- KF 850s  over SB 1000s per side was designed to be a percussion instrument rather than a "soundpretty thing".

Miguel Castro Rios

Re: EAW SB-850 vs...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:23:26 PM »

Well I have 6 subs and they do get loud. Very Clean.

I agree there is some new gear out there that doesn't have as much distortion and get's louder with less Watts. But the SB850 is probably the best you can get for you $$ right now if you get them used.

The sb1000 get's a little louder.

I've seen a lot of good reviews on Danley sound labs, but never heard it.

Do a search you'll find a lot of info on Danley sound labs

Whit Hutchinson

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:53:52 PM »

I am just trying to figure how newer "High Powered" subs stack up against something as proven as the 850s.  Should a pair of 850s be able to walk over a pair of QW or Vessary subs as an example.  Giving both subs the necessary processing and power to make it "fair".

Consider:
Peavey QW/Vessary
JBL SRX
... Others along these lines that are +/- $700 or so.

I have never heard them side by side with anything else.  And I have heard the 1,000s before as well.  I have no doubt that those should be able to get it done over ANY other "High powered" MI sub.

- KF 850s  over SB 1000s per side was designed to be a percussion instrument rather than a "soundpretty thing".

Craig Hauber

• http://www.csaproductionsinc.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:02:48 PM »

You probably should be comparing $2000 subs.  
MSRP on a new SB-850 is in the $2900.00 range. (of course nobody pays that, but you get the idea)  I found them to be a perfectly capable sub that doesn't use up alot of truck and isn't too bad to lift and stack.  I don't think you can get a much better bang-for-the-buck.  (The current ones are using the big 18-Sound driver which is quite bulletproof.)
Another good EAW sub using the same drivers and considerably less cost is the SB-528.  Yes they are huge, but I think they play lower than the SB-850 just a bit due to the larger cabinet. -MSRP is about $600 less for it though.

Craig Hauber
CSA Productions Inc.
Ventura-Santa Barbara CA
www.csaproductionsinc.com

Whit Hutchinson

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »

Craig Hauber wrote on Mon, 24 March 2008 00:02

You probably should be comparing $2000 subs.  
MSRP on a new SB-850 is in the $2900.00 range. (of course nobody pays that, but you get the idea)  I found them to be a perfectly capable sub that doesn't use up alot of truck and isn't too bad to lift and stack.  I don't think you can get a much better bang-for-the-buck.  (The current ones are using the big 18-Sound driver which is quite bulletproof.)
Another good EAW sub using the same drivers and considerably less cost is the SB-528.  Yes they are huge, but I think they play lower than the SB-850 just a bit due to the larger cabinet. -MSRP is about $600 less for it though.

Craig,  why should I compare them against $2,000 plus subs when a $1,200 subs may have similar results powered properly.  I think the SB is more efficient which is good in a way, but if a Q-wave or SRX type sub gets in the ballpark for half the price....I duno where I am going here.   Smile

Grayson Rech

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 03:51:15 PM »

I think the SB528 is the worst sub I've ever heard that comes with a $1000 street tag or more.  I wouldn't use em if someone gave them to me.  Disclaimer . . . proud owner of SB1000z with more to come.    

Just my buck three-eighty.
Grayson
Close enuff for rock n' roll

Brandon G Romanowski

• http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »

I use Yorkville TX9s almost exclusively. I find that most professional front loaded double 18" subs  sound similar. With subs its all about having a decent box with good components and having the Right Number of them. With almost any double 18" sub it's really a numbers game. If 4 sb850's are not going to work 4 sb1000's won't work either.  On the other hand 8 Yorkville LS1004's Might just do the trick.

Regards
     Brandon

Brandon G. Romanowski
Indigo Concert Audio Dept.
http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:47:22 PM »

I agree.

As long as you have the right number. The difference is not that much from one to the other. What really makes the difference is the performer and a pro engineer.

steven barnes

• http://sbtechnicalservices.com
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »

Grayson Rech wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 12:51

I think the SB528 is the worst sub I've ever heard that comes with a $1000 street tag or more.  I wouldn't use em if someone gave them to me.  Disclaimer . . . proud owner of SB1000z with more to come.    

Just my buck three-eighty.
Grayson

I would have to disagree with you on that one. I used to use a set of 6 of them regularly and they put out. I would take them over QRX or most other any day, they will not put out as much as the SB100's but they aren't as expensive either.
Steven Barnes
SB Technical Services
Ventura, CA
Blog: http://sbtechnicalservices.com/Site/Blog/Blog.html

Craig Hauber

• http://www.csaproductionsinc.com
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 02:10:42 PM »

The SB-850 is a companion to the KF-850.  It is a tour-grade device designed for hard reliable use sonically and mechanically.  They can take knocks, drops and loader-abuse much better than either of the subs you've listed.  Things like dollyboards, covers and truck-pack are part of the design, but are an afterthought to the other products.
Yes, technology has improved the sonic capabilities of the under $1200 sub a long ways,  so comparing a used 10-year old 850 to a new JBL is probably a losing situation, but I still think the older sub will outlast them as a working revenue-generating product.  

Just my observations.  

Craig Hauber
CSA Productions Inc.
Ventura-Santa Barbara CA
www.csaproductionsinc.com

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 09:03:10 PM »

Grayson Rech wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 15:51

I think the SB528 is the worst sub I've ever heard

This is TOTALLY true. RPI in NY has four and they are positively the worst subs ever. Their SB250's sound better.

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 01:34:06 AM »

I got a chance to hear the peavey qws and if i had my system to do over again i wouldn't hesitate to just buy 6 of those things. Sound really good and a stack of 3 per side is just the ticket. Fairly efficient for a dual 18 and Not too heavy either.

-Josh Billings

Gary Perrett

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 10:54:56 PM »

You can add a few more kudo's for the QW subs here...Myself, Mike Kovach and my son all think the QW's sound good, especially for the price. As do the JBL SRX 700 series subs(when powered properly). I have also built the Fane 15"(available on the Fane international website) subs and they also rock like crazy, and are very small and light. could also easily be turned int 2X15" or 2X18" cabs... I like and use Yorkville speakers, but only have tops, and never heard the subs, but have heard great things about them. Bang for the buck here comes from getting wood dust in your hair, eyes and teeth...Small and portable, use lots of power if you want to "rattle" things. A Crown XTI 4000 with 4 per side of the Fane 15" or 18" subs are pretty impressive(yes thats 2 ohm stereo) ... but thats a goal. An XTI 4000 and 2 of the Fane DIY subs are a REALLY good start, but thats DIY and that should be do-able for for about $1500. (if you can do the work.. and they are not hard to build, you could do it with a skill saw and some basic carpentry tools...if you had to)
Gary Perrett
TZ productions    
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 11:07:41 PM »

Gary Perrett wrote on Wed, 14 May 2008 22:54

You can add a few more kudo's for the QW subs here...Myself, Mike Kovach and my son all think the QW's sound good, especially for the price. As do the JBL SRX 700 series subs(when powered properly).

[SNIP]

I like and use Yorkville speakers, but only have tops, and never heard the subs, but have heard great things about them.

The QW's are good speakers, but the Yorkville LS1208 is where it's at for "budget" subs. A pair of LS1208's have about another 6dB on a pair of the QW218's(both properly powered), and the LS1208's go WAY lower. They continue to impress me every time I use them.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Adam Kane

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 02:03:05 PM »

brandon g. romanowski wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 21:43

I use Yorkville TX9s almost exclusively.

As do we.  Our rig consists of a pile of TX8's and TX4's.  We listened to plenty of other 2x18 cabs, but eventually settled on the TX9 just to keep things uniform.  We have not been disappointed.  We currently use a bridged 2450 per cab and I'm sure they could take much more than that.  Construction is rock solid and drivers have been problem free despite all the punk/hip-hop type shows we've been doing the last couple years.  Can't say as we've ever had anyone (national or otherwise) unhappy with them.   We had some spare time after setup for an outdoor festival a couple years ago.  We learned that a center cluster of six would blur your vision at 35hz from 30ft away.  Amps were nowhere near clip.  Remarkably efficient.  Very Happy

Slightly heavy, but the abundance of handles and wheels makes them not too bad moving around.

Brandon G Romanowski

• http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »

We use TX9s, for our larger concerts in groups of 6, So 6, 12, 18, 24 ......It is an awesome experience. We power them with Yorkville's AP6040s.

One thing about distortion in subs.......a lot people prefer it. Its what makes front loaded double 18"s sound so "in your face" .
Brandon G. Romanowski
Indigo Concert Audio Dept.
http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 06:43:04 PM »

brandon g. romanowski wrote on Thu, 15 May 2008 15:33

One thing about distortion in subs.......a lot people prefer it.

You can add it in, but you can't take it out...

index.php/fa/15889/0/
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 06:25:27 AM »

if size isnt a issue I just recently used a single pair of 528z's in an install.. altho its a much larger box I was impressed with the performance of these subs!

*edit* a side note: I used to not be impressed at EAW bass at all.. the sb1000/the 850 sub/ etc.. EAW has come a long way in improving driver technology and these subs are starting to grow on me. (Altho I'd probably still buy Danley's box - or some Martins - "if it was for me")

Kevin Ballard

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 10:59:47 AM »

Pascal Pincosy wrote on Thu, 15 May 2008 23:43

brandon g. romanowski wrote on Thu, 15 May 2008 15:33

One thing about distortion in subs.......a lot people prefer it.

You can add it in, but you can't take it out...

index.php/fa/15889/0/

You can't use that, it's a behringer. All you'll get is distor... Oh hang on though.
Laughing

Kevin Ballard

Yes the Toilets are over there!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.