ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WLL x5?  (Read 1796 times)

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
WLL x5?
« on: February 29, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »

Hello -
I've been under the assumption that one should use a 5:1 design factor based on the WLL (working load limit) which already has a 5:1 (breaking : working) limit factored in.  Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm thinking I'm actually designing 25:1 by doing this?    A 150 pound hang on at least 2 points with 3/16" 7x19 wire rope?  

Also - I've read several places where "Quick links" are not considered safe, and yet one major manufacturer has them prominently pictured on one of their boxes.  Are they doing something wrong, or are they ok if they are using a 25:1 design ratio?  ATM has quick links too.

edit:  ATM also says this about quicklinks:  "They offer significant working loads for their size and serve as convenient coupling devices for temporary installations but, because its side locking turn style has the potential to loosen over time, quick links are not recommended for overhead use."

I guess that answers that part.

Thanks,
Grant
Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com

Karl P(eterson)

Re: WLL x5?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:00:17 PM »

While I can't comment on your WLL/SWL question I can tell you that you just don't have the right kind of quicklink.

Both ATM and PolarFocus offer double studded L-Track fittings with lockable releases which are, to my understanding, suitable for overhead rigging.

Karl P

TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 15 queries.