ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cobranet Discovery issue  (Read 5014 times)

Shane Gavin

Cobranet Discovery issue
« on: February 27, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »

I want to update Audia firmware, but I must update the cobranet firmware first.

I am using Cobranet Discovery but it is not seeing any cobranet devices.

I verified that the pc I am using is connected to the main switch via a straight-through ethernet cable and not a cross-over and that the Cobranet Discovery software was scanning the correct IP address range (192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.230, all the cobranet devices are within this range).

The Audia’s and Rave’s are all showing proper cobranet activity and I can connect to the network just fine with the Audia and QSC software.

System info:

9 Biamp Audia Flex
8 QSC Rave 522aa
All units are networked via HP Procurve switches
The pc and the Flex's/Rave's are connected to the main Procurve.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:

I verified that there is no firewall active on the network card of the PC and I am able to ping all the devices on the network and get responses.

Shane Gavin

Re: Cobranet Discovery issue
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:21:41 PM »

Update #2.

I had to hardwire the pc to the cobranet port on the back of the Audia Flex units.

The pc was only connected to the ethernet port.

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 05:42:43 PM »

What is the IP address of your computer?

You need to make sure that your computer has an IP address somewhere in the range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255, and it is not the same address as one of the Cobranet devices on the network. So, since you have the "Enable Auto Assignment" passing out IP addresses from 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.230, I'd set the IP address of the computer to something like 192.168.1.231.

You should close Discovery before you change the IP address of your computer.

As a sidenote, I find it very curious that you need to update the Cobranet firmware before doing the Audia firmware and I wonder just exactly why that is.

Are any MAC addresses showing up in Discovery? Do they say something about "timeout" and have an IP address that is not in your range? If this is the case, you need to right-click on the device and select "New IP Address" from the menu. Then give it an address in your 192.168.1.X range.

Oh yes! One VERY IMPORTANT THING!!! When you go to "Tools" and select "Options", please make certain that you have the correct Network Adapter selected in your computer. On occasion, when I have had trouble with a laptop, I will check the Network Adapter settings and the wireless connection will be selected. Be sure to select the adapter that you are using to connect to the Cobranet network.

(In the interest of full disclosure I am currently employed by the MediaMatrix division of Peavey Electronics and play with Disco on a nearly daily basis when dealing with our Cobranet networks and testing.)

Good luck and have fun!!!
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Shane Gavin

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »

Thanks for the reply Josh.

Everything on the network has a static IP and I know all the IP addresses. Also, the pc only has one NIC.  

The PC is 192.168.1.120 and the Audia's are 192.168.1.201 to .209 and the QSC Rave's are in the .152 to .159 range.

The problem was that the PC was only seeing the ethernet port of the Audia's and it needs to see the cobranet port.

I hardwired a crossover cable from the pc to the cobranet port and all is well.

As far as updating the firmware of the Audia, you must have the latest version of cobranet to do so.  I don't know why though.

Steve Rynbrandt

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 11:05:33 AM »

Shane,

Of course the Audia's are static - they do not support DHCP!!!  (one of my few complaints with the product)

Glad you solved your problem.

Steve Rynbrandt

Shane Gavin

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:18:26 PM »

It's possible that the Audias are on ports of the switch that are assigned a different VLAN then the port that the PC is residing on.

Oh well, it really doesn't matter to me whether I can update cobranet firmware from the control room pc because I still have to pull the IEC cable form the Audias before the update takes effect so I just carried a laptop with me and did the upgrade and power cycle at each unit.

If the Audia's could recieve a power cycle signal from the software when ever it is desired, that would be a big help to me.

It takes me about 30 minutes to go and reboot all the Audia's on site.

Steve Rynbrandt

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »

There is a serial command to reboot a device HOWEVER when the device reboots audio is STOPPED!! Unfortunately I am unaware of a serial command to START audio.

Just wanted to let you know that in case someone passes that command to you. I can;t think of it off the top of my head, I think I tried to forget it.

As you now probably realize, the "ethernet" port and the "cobranet" ports are completely separate in the Audia product. you can not control the Audia with software through the Cobranet port.

The power cycle thing is another of my complaints (again rather few) about the Audia series. The same requirement is there for IP parameter changes. We have an installation of about 120 devices and what a pain that can be when a subnet changes. Since they do not support DHCP, you cannot simply change the DHCP reservation or permanent DNS record.

Steve Rynbrandt

Shane Gavin

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »

I was right about the VLAN.

The Audia's live on ports 1-12 which is the cobranet side of the switch.

I moved the pc cable to the 1-12 side and now I can see all cobranet devices via the PC connected to the switch.

I still have to power cycle the units though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.