ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: questions about duratex speaker cabinet coating  (Read 16865 times)

lawrencemueller

questions about duratex speaker cabinet coating
« on: February 26, 2008, 11:47:14 AM »

Anyone know if there's a local/cheaper way to get duratex, or is it shipping-only?

http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119&catid=19771

Also, anyone have experience with coverage? Says at least 60sq ft/gallon, and there's roughly 55 sq feet on the exterior of a labhorn - that's one labhorn coated for $50. (I'm using black latex on the inside.)

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Re: questions about duratex speaker cabinet coating
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 02:28:16 PM »

Shipping was the only way to get it out here that I could find(left US coast).

I used a gallon total on 2 SM15 sized monitors, and a repaint of some little JBl 12 monitors.

I used much more than expected, but I splattered it on with a paint sprayer set to shoot very coarse blobs. I thinned about 25%.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

lawrencemueller

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 02:45:25 PM »

You thinned it? I was thinking of ordering the roller weight and thinning it, because it's thicker - but they caution against thinning. I wonder if that's to maximize profits...

So, what did you thin it with? Being water-soluble, I am assuming you used water, right?

I'm planning on using the hopper method for application, and thinning the roller weight stuff 15-25% if you're sure it worked fine - got any pics?

Tony "T" Tissot

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:02:02 PM »

lawrencemueller wrote on Tue, 26 February 2008 11:45

You thinned it? I was thinking of ordering the roller weight and thinning it, because it's thicker - but they caution against thinning. I wonder if that's to maximize profits...

So, what did you thin it with? Being water-soluble, I am assuming you used water, right?

Water. First coat was a base coat. Second was thinned less for mini-splatter effect.

Pictures - I'll try that a bit later.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

lawrencemueller

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:05:32 PM »

I'll do the same - and I'll post pics when I'm done.

Thanks!

Tamas Tako

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 10:50:38 AM »

Hi,

How it compares in regards of durability and again scratches with Varnex and with two component Polyurethane coatings?

Thanks,

Tamas

Tony "T" Tissot

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 11:57:53 AM »

I also have cabinets (monitors) that are covered in Line-X. That's a 2-part coating, that I had professionally applied.

The Line-X is much thicker and more resilient than the Durtaex that I applied at home.

It (Line-X) is more expensive, but I was paying for labor as well, so a direct comparison is difficult.

It was fascinating to watch the guy apply the coating. It sprays quickly, sets up almost immediatly, and covers very thickly. Much thicker than I could achieve by using Duratex at home.

The Line-X spray equipment provide very precise control over the "spaltter" size. At home, I did not have very good control of the splatter at all.

(I still have not taken pictures, but hope to later today. Duratex (home application) vs. LINE-X, (professionally applied).
MNGS

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 01:25:23 AM »

Duratex is a very good DIY coating, and a lot of us who build small production or custom cabinets use it as well. It is not as durable as the Line-X, Speedliner, or similar product, but it is much more durable than the lacquer-based Texturlac. Since it is water-based, there are no dangerous fumes, and clean-up is very environmentally friendly.

We have been applying it over a base coat of satin black latex, and it does quite well. If you want a very consistent finish, try the rollers that they offer. We are using a Graco RTX 650 sprayer, but I'm not quite gotten the technique down to my satisfaction yet. The hopper-gun systems won't work for us, as I need to spray inside as well as outside, and the occasional "splats" and clogged tips are just too inconvenient.

If you let it cure for 5-7 days, it is quite effective and durable.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

John Schmidt

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »

I can't attest to the coverage because I've only done a few monitor cabinets so far and still have a ton left out of a gallon. I used a foam roller and no thinning. I let the first coats dry, then applied heavier successive coats, and while it was still tacky, lightly pulled the roller over it for texture. 'Couldn't be happier!

John

index.php/fa/14502/0/

lawrencemueller

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 10:42:34 AM »

This looks great! I'm ordering 5 gallons today.
Did you use their foam roller, or did you just get a regular one from the hardware store?

John Schmidt

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 12:23:39 PM »

lawrencemueller wrote on Fri, 29 February 2008 07:42

This looks great! I'm ordering 5 gallons today.
Did you use their foam roller, or did you just get a regular one from the hardware store?

I just got a small foam roller from the hardware store - it's about 1.25" diameter and 6" long. I'm sure a fullsize one would work just as well.

How many cabinets are you doing? 5 gallons seems like a lot. For example, two average size stage monitors used less than 1/5 gallon rolled on, maybe even less than that, since the gallon container is only about an inch down after doing about 3 coats on both monitors.

John

lawrencemueller

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »

I'm doing 4 labhorn exteriors - about 50 sq ft each, and then another set in a few more months.

Tony "T" Tissot

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 01:10:44 PM »

John,

Very nice.

Your "roller" job looks much better than my spray job.

I am amazed at how consistent your finish looks.

This (below - cell phone pic) has been used about 30 times - so there are scratches - and minor dust and dirt.

My last coat was a "random spray blob" / splatter to use up remaining junk in the canister (I should not have done it)

index.php/fa/14510/0/
MNGS
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.