ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: You think it takes skill to run FOH?  (Read 4436 times)

The Guy

Re: You think it takes skill to run FOH?
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 11:41:10 PM »

Keep in mind that the ship is also probably moving forward...yet another thing to contend with here!  I've only flown a helo twice but I agree with your juggling/beachball analogy.  The one I've heard is "trying to balance a bowling ball on top of another bowling ball."

-JB

Art Welter

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 01:15:16 AM »

Not a problem when you are dancing on the bowling balls. I just fly hang gliders and trikes now.

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 01:26:06 AM »

Jim Bowersox wrote on Tue, 26 February 2008 22:41

The one I've heard is "trying to balance a bowling ball on top of another bowling ball."

Use the finger holes  Very Happy

But seriously, the only thing I fly is the green when I play golf.  That was some impressive maneuvering.  

cl

Stephen Askins

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 06:01:36 AM »

Hi Mike,
       sorry we couldnt organise a proper Sydney summer for you.  The storms have been rather interesting though!!!

Regards
Stephen Askins
Sydney, Australia

Joseph Curran

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 09:33:40 AM »

I was a Crew Chief on these http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/specs/sikorsky/ch-53c.htm in another life (1979-1982).
The pilots and flight engineers were special people, very humble. I used to love to go up with them during maintenance/training. Full power take-offs and Hammerheads were deadly buzz!!! Below is a photo taken around 1980/81. Our flightline was literally 500 yards away from a safe house used by The Red Army Faction/Bader-Meinhof Gang. Keep your enemies close, aye?

Mine is the aircraft closet in the photo, tail number 629. I was standing in the doorway visible at the front, under the engine intake. If I remember correctly there are 8 aircraft in this formation.

Beautiful machines, a real bitch to clean!!!

index.php/fa/14477/0/

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 09:42:05 PM »

Quote:

The CH-53E Super Sea Stallion is the largest and heaviest helicopter in the history of the United States Military. The CH-53E is commonly referred to as the Hurricane Maker. Built by Sikorsky Aircraft for the United States Marine Corps, the CH-53E served both the Navy and Marines in the heavy lift transport role. The CH-53E Super Sea Stallion is the larger version of the CH-53 Sea Stallion. The CH-53E Stallion was configured with 3 gas turbine engines and in flight refueling. The said aircraft was used to transport personnel and equipment, lift heavy loads and conduct minesweeping missions. In addition to that, the CH-53E is also used for long range delivery and re supply of special operations and combat rescue missions.

The CH-53E Super Stallion van transports up to 55 troops and has an external load lift system that allows the helicopter to carry a load up to 16,330 kg. The CH-53E has a speed of 278 km/h and a maximum un-refueled range of 2,000 km. The range and endurance of the CH-53E can be extended by Flight refueling.

The general characteristics of the CH-53E are as follows: 2 pilots, 1 right gunner, 1 left gunner, 1 tail gunner, the capacity of the CH-53E aircraft is 37 troops, payload is at 32,000 pounds, length is at 99 ft and ½ inches, rotor diameter is at 79ft, height is at 27ft 9 inches, Disc area is at 4,900 square feet, empty weight is 33,226 pounds, maximum take off weight is 73,500 pounds and the power plant is 3x general electric T64-GE-416A turboshafts, 4,380 shp each. For the performance of the CH-53E Super Stallion, the maximum speed is 170 knots, range is 600 nm, service ceiling is at 18,500 ft, rate of climb is 2,500 ft/min and the armament are guns, chaff and flare dispensers.

Sometimes known as "Big Iron," it's a definite big boy's toy. The downwash from its giant 8-bladed main rotor will turn any unsecured gear into a FOD hazard for sure, and wherever it goes it hardly goes unnoticed. They drew a crowd (and these were people who spend all day building helicopters, not a bunch of starry-eyed kids) when the Marine Corps sent three of them to Stratford to kick off the signing ceremony of the new contract for 156 of the new K model (which will have twice the payload with the same on-deck footprint!!).

The guys that fly this stuff are real aviators. And to think I used to feel good about being able to hit the centerline of a 100-foot wide runway.  Razz
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography

Joseph Curran

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 06:37:21 AM »

[quote title=Mike Butler (media) wrote on Thu, 28 February 2008 02:42]
Quote:

The downwash from its giant 8-bladed main rotor will turn any unsecured gear into a FOD hazard for sure

I remember my marshaling test, where I had to direct aircraft taxiing and parking in the field during an exercise. Standing in front of the aircraft, waving my arms like an idiot, the crew perform the aforementioned 'full power takeoff'. Every pebble and stick became a stinging weapon as the rotor wash kicked up a hellacious storm around me. I hit the deck, covering my head and face from the onslaught, cowering in the grass like a sucker! When I stood up and looked around, the entire squadron was in bits laughing, having been witness to my embarrassing ordeal. Couldn't wait to see it done to the next pinger(new guy)! Twisted Evil
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.