ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub Array Layout  (Read 15966 times)

John Vaneldik

Sub Array Layout
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

A few months back I did an IA call for the latest Carrie Underwood tour and was intrigued by their sub array layout.

Basically what they did was the following:

Under stage left were two rows of Clair 2 x 18 subs (front loaded). These two rowss faced each other and were about 2 feet apart. They applied the necessary delay to each box (in each row) to align them with the upstage most sub in the line. They could then manipulate the onstage row delay (as a group) in relation to the offstage row delay to steer the subs.

My questions are these:

How did they calculate the distance between the two rows? It wasn't arbitrary, because the sub tech set down a specially cut piece of plywood before we set each cabinet in place (in order to get the spacing right).

I assume that the length of each row (i.e. the number of cabinets in each row) was not arbitrary either. How did they calculate this?

Can some one shed some lighton this?

TIA
John

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Sub Array Layout
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:16:37 PM »

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

A few months back I did an IA call for the latest Carrie Underwood tour and was intrigued by their sub array layout.

Basically what they did was the following:

Under stage left were two rows of Clair 2 x 18 subs (front loaded). These two rowss faced each other and were about 2 feet apart. They applied the necessary delay to each box (in each row) to align them with the upstage most sub in the line. They could then manipulate the onstage row delay (as a group) in relation to the offstage row delay to steer the subs.

My questions are these:

How did they calculate the distance between the two rows? It wasn't arbitrary, because the sub tech set down a specially cut piece of plywood before we set each cabinet in place (in order to get the spacing right).

I assume that the length of each row (i.e. the number of cabinets in each row) was not arbitrary either. How did they calculate this?

Can some one shed some lighton this?

TIA
John

It's an endfire array.  Bennett Prescott has a couple of articles on sub woofer arrays, Harry Brill has written on them, and Arthur Skudra has commented on the forums, too.  A search will bring up a bunch of info.

I was an IA hand when the show came through my town, under the stage setting the dress, couch and other stuff that came up on the lifts.  It was nice not being pounded by the LF.  There was a program feed down there from monitor beach, and the vocals were "unprocessed."  I'll leave it to the reader to guess what that means. ;)

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Vaneldik

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 12:12:45 AM »

It's an endfire array.  Bennett Prescott has a couple of articles on sub woofer arrays, Harry Brill has written on them, and Arthur Skudra has commented on the forums, too.  A search will bring up a bunch of info.

I was an IA hand when the show came through my town, under the stage setting the dress, couch and other stuff that came up on the lifts.  It was nice not being pounded by the LF.  There was a program feed down there from monitor beach, and the vocals were "unprocessed."  I'll leave it to the reader to guess what that means. ;)

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I thought it was a form of end fire array. But it seems different than what I've seen before. Actually, I am sitting beside one right not. The funny thing to me is that there was no space between the cabinets front to back. But there was space between the two rows side to side (about 2 feet as I mentioned).

I did a search on end fire arrays and found all sorts of information. But none of it seems to discuss quite this layout. I will keep searching and pondering.

Thanks Tim!

Happy mixing!

John

Steven Norman

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »

I thought it was a form of end fire array. But it seems different than what I've seen before. Actually, I am sitting beside one right not. The funny thing to me is that there was no space between the cabinets front to back. But there was space between the two rows side to side (about 2 feet as I mentioned).

I did a search on end fire arrays and found all sorts of information. But none of it seems to discuss quite this layout. I will keep searching and pondering.

Thanks Tim!

Happy mixing!

John

John,

Have a look at this link:
http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/downloads/wp%20-%20Subwoofer%20Arrays%20v04%20.pdf

Its a document off the EV website titled 'Subwoofer Arrays: A Practical Guide'. It provides a good insight into the world of different sub arrays and positioning.

Steve

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 09:03:12 PM »

The funny thing to me is that there was no space between the cabinets front to back. But there was space between the two rows side to side (about 2 feet as I mentioned).

what do you mean no space? no, as in none, 0, this seems interesting, takes some pics, how does it sound behind the array?  maybe i should have asked how the front sounded first ;D

sheldon

John Vaneldik

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »

what do you mean no space? no, as in none, 0, this seems interesting, takes some pics, how does it sound behind the array?  maybe i should have asked how the front sounded first ;D

sheldon

When we set them up the subs had no space between them. Keep in mind that the fronts of the cabinets were facing each other. There were two columns/rows (depending on your terminology) and they faced each other about 2 feet apart.

As far as I know that is where they stayed.

When I moved from backstage to out front near the end of the show there was very little sub behind the sub array and plenty out front.

John

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »

When we set them up the subs had no space between them. Keep in mind that the fronts of the cabinets were facing each other. There were two columns/rows (depending on your terminology) and they faced each other about 2 feet apart.

As far as I know that is where they stayed.

When I moved from backstage to out front near the end of the show there was very little sub behind the sub array and plenty out front.

John

John.....

I still have no idea how the cabinets were oriented.  Can you somehow do a drawing????

Thanks
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:43:30 AM »

I still have no idea how the cabinets were oriented.  Can you somehow do a drawing????
Thanks

Hi Dick,
I think this is what is being discussed (assuming the cabs were stood upright).
Cheers,
David.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:46:03 AM by David Morison »

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »

Hi Dick,
I think this is what is being discussed (assuming the cabs were stood upright).
Cheers,
David.

I also couldn't really figure out the original description. If I understand the picture correctly it's a sort of tunnel of subs under the stage firing first under the drummer then out towards the front of the stage?

But then I can't make sense of the "assuming the cabs stood upright"-comment...??
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:46:59 AM »

I also couldn't really figure out the original description. If I understand the picture correctly it's a sort of tunnel of subs under the stage firing first under the drummer then out towards the front of the stage?

But then I can't make sense of the "assuming the cabs stood upright"-comment...??

This discussion also taking place on 'another' forum.  The linked pic shows a flown variation.

http://www.soundforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=714&d=1298952956

The thread also contains some additional reference material.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:46:59 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.