ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bose - In General  (Read 18772 times)

Shawn Fieseler

• http://www.newriffs.com
Bose - In General
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »

I first did a search to see if anyone had commented on Bose systems, and just to find some basic information.

The random responses I found were astonishing.... from a newbs standpoint. I don't think I found one thread where someone said "Heck yeah! They kick $%@#!"

In fact... it was pretty negative. So what gives? One of my favorite local hang outs had a one of those touch tune systems with Bose speakers, and those tiny things would tear down the whole bar if we cranked it high enough.

So, what am I missing?

Duncan McLennan

Re: Bose - In General
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:48:51 PM »

Have you truly had a chance to sit down and LISTEN to them?  The Bose systems I have worked with were all feedback prone, underpowered, and just didn't sound like I think a PA should sound...
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Peter Etheredge

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:00:06 PM »

Well if the bar resonates in the 4k range than, yes, I would think that a blose system could tear it down.

Like Duncan said though, it's just a matter of actually listening to them and more importantly listening to them in direct comparison with a real system - even one at half the price.  Plus the legions of mindless drones who have been brainwashed by their marketing schemes don't help the perception either.
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »

Last summer I played a gig, right after those Bose 'sticks' had become available.  The organizer was convinced they were great (as per usual) and got 4 sticks and 8 of the bass cubes (I hesitate to call them subs).

They set up two sticks, and four bass cubes for FOH, and the same setup as sidefills for monitors.  Yeah, crappy design in the first place, but it was a charity gig, and we'd been asked to help.

It was actually one of the worst sounding systems I've ever played through.  The year before (same event and location) they'd used a single pair of Yorkville 2x15 and horn boxes, that kicked the absolute crap out of the Bose rig (at about 10 times the cost) in every department.  Same goes for monitors, but we had two 12+horn Yorkville wedges.

Lesson learned.  Don't play with ANYTHING made by Bose.
dcm

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:12:52 PM »

Went to the Bose store at the mall when I was about 14, watched the brainwashing demo. "These things sound pretty good"

-7 years of hearing many many sound systems-

Girlfriend's dad fires up new wave radio he's proud of "ugggh that sounds like crap!"

It's all about perception. I have yet to have a positive experience with Bose products. The "Best" was with 2 MA12's and 2 MB4's. It was decent for movie playback. Fast forward one year later and the same movie / venue but no subs. Weakest movie system I have ever heard. They've just never done it for me considering the cheaper and usually better alternatives.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Mike_Monte

• http://www.allegrochamberplayers.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 10:25:34 PM »

Everything has its purpose.  The Bose "stick system" is still trying to find its niche.....(probably the coffee house, single circuit..) I own and use Bose 802's for choral vocal reinforcement.  My clients love them.  I like the Bose cabs for vocals - none of that harsh horn/woofer stuff - the 802's sound "smooth" to me.  (FYI: I also own a Yorkville tx8/9s rig and Yorkville Elite rig.)  I also use Bose 402's as monitors for most of my band work.  I have used 402's for many local classic rock band "outdoor" concerts' monitors and I have always been complemented (by the musicians) on my monitors.  
To each, his/her own.  Yes, Bose speakers are "inefficient" power wise, but, give them the power and use them appropriately and all is well.... Bose bashing........Why?........they Do work.... Best, M      

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »

I can think of a bunch of boxes just off the top of my head that I would consider using for a coffeehouse type gig, that don't have horns.  Small cabinets with dome tweeters are made by most manufacturers (and probably for a heck of a lot less than a Bose system).
dcm

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 10:42:37 PM »

Bose = Buy Other Sound Equipment

Ive never had a pleasant bose experience.

Matter of fact, I showed up to a gig last summer and they had a Bose house system that everyone loved. They didnt understand why it wasnt good enough for me to use for a 500 person event. I set up my Yamaha S115iv's and Yorkville UCS1 subs and everyone was completely blown away.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Sean Chen

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 10:55:46 PM »

The Bose MB subs don't sound too bad. Better than the 502B(oom). Just expensive.

I heard the MA12 in action along with a sub, and was impressed by its clarity for music playback and speech. The anti-feedback was impressive: he held a mic right up to 2 ft away from the stick and didn't feedback yet. Plus, its somewhat line-array behavior really carries the SPL farther than convention speaker.

My conclusion with Bose is, it's very easy to set them up incorrectly and sound bad. But when set up correctly, they can fill some unique shoes.

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 11:07:30 PM »

Shawn Fieseler wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 21:35

...I don't think I found one thread where someone said "Heck yeah! They kick $%@#!

Shocking!! Laughing  Laughing

Mike Monte wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 22:25

Everything has its purpose.  The Bose "stick system" is still trying to find its niche.....(probably the coffee house, single circuit..)
...and the DJs who claim that they are booking tons of weddings as a direct result of using these things. Of course, what else would they say after blowing almost $4K on a pair of sticks and bins.  Rolling Eyes

I have b0$e systems in my car (no choice, came with it, not worth ripping it all out), truck (ditto), ski house (ditto, and the Acoustim-Ass sounds better than the built-in 3" speakers in the TV), and a b0$e wave radio (a gift--and it was very handy helping me keep my sanity in my hospital room)...AND back in the day I was one of the earliest dealers of the brand in my town when the 901 was still new enough to be getting thrashed in the pages of Consumer Reports (wow, now THAT spawned some litigation!). In short, I know a little about the brand, including how easy it is to set up wrong, and accordingly I question how it can be worth all the minuses. There are other brands that perform better, cost less, and are easier to use, except maybe in some "unique" or "niche" situations.

index.php/fa/14206/0/
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.