ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Effective LED system for band.  (Read 22403 times)

David Gregory

Effective LED system for band.
« on: February 09, 2008, 03:26:45 pm »

Hello.

I play in a 3 piece band + singer and it's time to upgrade the lighting system. Right now we are using 20 Par cans with 5 dimmers and truss and it's getting way too cumbersome. Lately, we are leaving most of it home because of the heat, popping breakers, setup time, etc.

Can anyone recommend a nice portable option for a LED system. Perhaps listing components that work together? Going to most likely sell the PAR can setup.

THanks

BarryWillems

Re: Effective LED system for band.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:31:29 pm »

Been using 4 Chauvet Colorado 3's for a front stage wash for about 6 months now. The band loves them, as do audiences who have never seen such colors in a local bar band setup. They are run from a laptop using Elation Compu Live. Along with the Colorado 3's, using a mover on the front truss (mostly as a spot); 4 par 56's for "blinders" and another mover on the back truss. About to add 2 more movers on the back truss. Overall, a very effective setup.

Ned Cullen

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 01:39:49 am »

We've been using 3 P64 LEDs on a tree and a Colorstrip behind the drummer.  Movers get added next gig.

Barry- what are using for front truss?  Got any pics?

Daniel Nickleski

• http://www.soundworkspro.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 04:08:03 pm »

8 LED Par64 cans from ADJ. 4 per tree in front of the band will do fine for a small act. Add some color panels from chauvet on the ground in front of the drummer and some white panels on a tree behind the drummer for strobe/acl effect. Should do you well and get you running for around $1500 to start.

Daniel Nickleski
soundworksdan@mac.com

BarryWillems

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 10:09:26 pm »

Ned Cullen wrote on Sun, 10 February 2008 00:39

We are using 5 x 5' sections of Global Truss. This is an older pic so it is missing the back truss and the drum riser that we just added a couple of months ago.

index.php/fa/14165/0/

BarryWillems

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 10:14:39 pm »

Ned Cullen wrote on Sun, 10 February 2008 00:39

Here is another "no flash" pic (sorry, focus sucks) showing the vivid colors you can get with these LED's. You can also see the 25' of Global Truss across the stage.

index.php/fa/14167/0/

Matt Vivlamore

• http://www.meerkatsound.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 12:24:22 am »

are you using stands to hold up the truss?
Find us on the web at: meerkatsound.com

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Ray Cerwinski

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 01:25:44 am »

I'm interested to know what fly hardware that is? Looks custom to me.  Rolling Eyes Can anybody say "lawsuit"?
index.php/fa/14188/0/
Ray Cerwinski

Fennelli Design Group
www.eventfx.com

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 01:42:25 am »

Ray Cerwinski wrote on Mon, 11 February 2008 22:25

I'm interested to know what fly hardware that is? Looks custom to me.
index.php/fa/14188/0/

Looks like something my attorney would ask " got a 'paper' for that?"
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

BarryWillems

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:35:43 am »

Relax guys, while these speakers are not designed to be flown from JBL, they have been modified both internally and externally with bracing and all 3/8" ss through-bolting (12 bolts and 2 pairs of external angle brackets per cab). We took the drivers and horns out of the cabs to make additional mods (internal bracing), which in my conservative (and degreed civil engineering) opinion are way in excess of what is required. The primary ss cables (each rated at about 1,300 lbs working load) are routed over the truss (e.g. not dependant on a single hardware failure). We also use seperate ss safety cables on each cabinet for redundancy. You can't see all of this in the pic. As an additional precaution, we stack the subs directly under the hanging cabs so no one can "loiter" directly below. At 44 lbs per cabinet, there is no way in hell they are coming down unless the entire cabinet somehow disintegrates.

Having said all that, I can say I would never do this again, because the time and $$ involved to make this work safely was far greater than I originally expected, and if I had it to do over again I would buy cabs pre-engineered with factory fly hardware.

And yes, the truss is on stands. The entire load is well under the working load specs for the stands.

I appreciate everyone's concern for safety/liability and I don't recommend anyone try to copy this "unauthorized" design. However, we love how it works, looks, and sounds and believe we are being safe.

Edit: It occurred to me after I posted this that the ADJ Accu Spot that is hanging in the middle of the truss is about as heavy as the speaker cabs. It is hung with suitable heavy duty clamps and a safety cable, but if anyone were to push me on the subject, I would be more concerned about that "made in china" light falling due to a bolt or rigging failure than the speaker cabs I modified personally. At least I know the specs and the quality of the hardware that I used. I am also more concerned about improper truss/stand assembly and/or placement causing a catastrophic failure of the entire rig than one of the speaker cabs coming down. Consequently we are very careful about how we assemble everything with each band member having specific tasks and each double checking the other's work on the critical assembly steps such as the truss connections. Anyone considering getting in to the rigging business for their stage setup should consider very carefully the potential consequences of a rig failure which could easily injure or kill someone. Don't go there if you're not willing to understand the risks and take steps to do it safely.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.