ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The McGurk Effect  (Read 8388 times)

Robert Van Zandt Presson

The McGurk Effect
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:11:28 PM »

Perception is in the ear of the beholder..
Interesting effect that I had not heard of previously.   Over the years I have found myself closing my eyes or looking at the soundboard when I concentrate..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypd5txtGdGw&feature=related

The brain is a powerful thing..  I have run into this before where I could perceive things as being different than they are, like a ceiling fan rotating backwards on command.   I figured sharing the idea may make you think twice about trusting your eyes over ears.

I ran a search here and the old forum and didn't find the link or McGurk effect..

-Rob

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
Re: The McGurk Effect
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:09:26 AM »

Perception is in the ear of the beholder..
Interesting effect that I had not heard of previously.   Over the years I have found myself closing my eyes or looking at the soundboard when I concentrate..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypd5txtGdGw&feature=related

The brain is a powerful thing..  I have run into this before where I could perceive things as being different than they are, like a ceiling fan rotating backwards on command.   I figured sharing the idea may make you think twice about trusting your eyes over ears.

I ran a search here and the old forum and didn't find the link or McGurk effect..

-Rob

Ran into this years ago when eating at a pizza place with a large group.  A couple of girls came up with the statement that they couldn't hear as well because they didn't have their contacts in.  Everyone thought that was just ridiculous.  Later we figured out that they were probably relying on lip reading in the noisy place and without their contacts they were having trouble picking up on lip movements.  At the time they kept insisting it made a difference but couldn't come up with a reason for it.

Scott

Gustav Hedelund

• Liljedahls Musik - homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:48:12 AM »

Really interesting! I often have my eyes on the stage first songs, then when I now nothing needs to be changed for monitors etc, i often close my eyes or sit head down with the fingers on the faders. Can't help it, it often sounds better and finer adjustments are made by closing my eyes.

The same if a rig needs more tuning than regular, closing the eyes and then look at the -9dB change somewhere makes you wonder if that is really right. Zero, adjusting again with closed eyes, -9dB. Ok, the rig is this wrong then :P

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »

I can't find the video at the moment, but there was a 2009 AES panel about psycho acoustics and Poppy Crum had a brilliant section about the McGurk effect. Absolutely worth checking out for both her sections, and all the the other panelists.

Side story: This concept happens to my dad all. the. time. He is fluent in Tai-Kadai(Thai) and whenever he introduces himself and asks for classic dishes off menu, the waitor literally can't compute that this 6ft tall blonde American is speaking his language without an accent. Their eyes and their ears are fighting with each other over which one to believe. :P

Robert Van Zandt Presson

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »

Side story: This concept happens to my dad all. the. time. He is fluent in Tai-Kadai(Thai) and whenever he introduces himself and asks for classic dishes off menu, the waitor literally can't compute that this 6ft tall blonde American is speaking his language without an accent. Their eyes and their ears are fighting with each other over which one to believe. :P

wow, how cool is that?   

One of the most interesting things about this career is it is a blending of science/technology, art, and interpretation/psychoacoustics. 

I too have developed a pattern of watching the stage for the first song to look for requests, and the next song I spend checking all my gear's displays - which also pulls my eyes away from the sound source.     Do others do this as well?

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 10:24:44 PM »

I can't find the video at the moment, but there was a 2009 AES panel about psycho acoustics and Poppy Crum had a brilliant section about the McGurk effect. Absolutely worth checking out for both her sections, and all the the other panelists.

Cameron,

This what you're looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

Scott

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:51:48 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

Yes! Thank you, Scott.

A lot of great material is packed into this one hour of talking and I learned a lot about how our brains process sound. Highly recommended viewing.

Robert Van Zandt Presson

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »

loved the video, thanks for sharing!

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »

Yes! Thank you, Scott.

A lot of great material is packed into this one hour of talking and I learned a lot about how our brains process sound. Highly recommended viewing.

That video should be required viewing for everyone in our industry.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Robert Van Zandt Presson

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »

i couldn't agree more Karl

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.