ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Perfect Amp for LAB Subwoofer  (Read 13685 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: The Perfect Amp for LAB Subwoofer
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 06:38:06 AM »

Yet again the term "perfect" means different things to different people.

To some it is performance, to others-price, and to others size and weight.

There is no "perfect" anything.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »

I bet you wouldn't have blown them if you had 6 1850's and 6 labs Smile

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 08:04:43 PM »

I ended up going with a pair of 4050HDs. Didn't run the subs SUPER Hard, but they ran super cool and felt like they were coasting as compared to the 1850s and the PL6 even.

We run heavy dance music too so i can definitely work em out.

I'll give em a better work out this Tuesday and report back.

But no blown drivers and some powerful sound.

I just wish it had display lights like the PLX series (signal, -20, -10, clip). This is just "Signal" and then "Clip"

FYI You can get these for $940 from Guitar Center by just saying you got a quote from Sam Ash for $940. You could possibly even get them lower, but that's the lowest i could get them. I think if you say Sam Ash, Guitar center will give them away to get the sale. With the $100 rebate that bring the amps to around $1825 out the door for a pair.

-Josh Billings

Josh Billings

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 08:41:24 AM »

UPDATE

With 2 of the 4050HDs i can run them close to clipping all night long and haven't blown a sub yet (4 hour long sessions, house music DJ sets).

I may not be pushing these things to the max, but i feel pretty comfortable with them and i know they don't get too much louder (i've had them on a PL6 before).

Overall the 4050HD is a good choice for a LAB Subwoofer + you can get them super cheap & they sound great. Only drawback is weight, but it's not THAT Bad.

-Josh Billings

Kevin Pippen

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 09:28:52 AM »

Josh,

Sounds like your very pleased with your purchase...Very Happy That's all that really matters...Cool

Cheers!

Kev
turn on, tune in, drop out

http://www.teamaai.net/kevin/nipper.jpg
Hey Nipper,...we gotta have more cowbell!!!

Clive D Milne

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 08:03:56 AM »

I run an IT-6000 on 4 labs, seems to run fine and shift a sizeable chunk of air.
  Had the amp serviced recently and the tech bench tested its output.  He said he was pretty impressed with what he saw.  It was happy to run all day pushing 7300W bridged mono into 10 ohms.
This would imply that bridging an IT-6000 and pushing it into 3 labs wired in series would be a pretty good combination, (assuming you are running multiples of 3)
  Incidently, when running 4 labs off 1 I-Tech, you are absolutely under no illusion when the amp starts to clip, the sound it makes is absolutely brutal.  It sounds like smacking two thin planks of wood together...  hard.
    On the whole though, the I-tec is a very sweet amp.  Highly reccomended.
   regards
Clive.

Jesse Soden

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »

Throughout this discussion, there have been many speculations to what the actual line impedance of a lab sub is for the various number of labs in a cluster and the cluster orientation. I have the background and test equipment to measure and calculate the impedance vector over various frequencies and cabinet configurations. I plan on using a bass test cd with clean waveforms so that I can obtain the most accurate, RMS readings.
Thoughts, ideas? Are there any specific cabinet combinations that I should concentrate on?
Just remember, always keep the SUCK button clearly labeled!

Jesse
GS Soundworks

Alan Star

• http://namaska.com
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 05:09:36 PM »

Great, I would be interested to hear your results.

Configs i'm interested in ....

A~ 2 Labs, all 4 drivers in parallel. (also would there be a difference in impedence between 2 boxes alone and 2 wired like this in a cluster of 4 (next to another pair) and if so how much difference would that cause)

B~ 2 Labs, drivers wired in series in each box and then the 2 boxes paralleled. (also would there be a difference in impedence between 2 boxes alone and 2 wired like this in a cluster of 4 (as above) and if so how much difference)

C~ 3 Labs, drivers wired in series in each box and then the 3 boxes paralleled.... and same again would that result change drastically between 3 standing alone and 3 in a cluster of 6.

Alan Star

• http://namaska.com
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 08:18:54 AM »

... altho i'm not sure how much difference to impedance it is in a big cluster, if it makes any difference at all. You may be interested to hear ... I have monitored this a few times including this afternoon when doing a system check. On the iTech, it has a monitor display for load impedance, and it sees 1 box (2 lab drivers in parallel) as 5 or 6 ohms (it flickers between). This is concurrent with what i have observed running 2 boxes, the amp sees that load as 3 ohms.

I am not sure how accurate this is but with the extra loading of the horn it could make sense that it is an accurate diagnosis ?

Josh Billings

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 08:50:11 AM »

That's pretty dead on with the measurements they got at the pro sound shootout thing

The RMX4050HD does sound pretty great on these though. Really strong and i haven't blown a driver yet Smile

-Josh
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.