ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to buy case foam?  (Read 1805 times)

Steve Hurt

Where to buy case foam?
« on: January 25, 2008, 07:58:02 AM »

An acquaintance asked me to build a case for his vintage Leslie.
I've built a ton of racks so I don't see it as much of a problem except I don't have a source for case foam.

Anyone have recommendations on where to buy the stuff and what I should be looking for?

I'm looking for 1" and 2" thicknesses, 36" x 36 minimum size and am willing to buy more than what I need for one case to get what I need.

Tim McCulloch

Re: Where to buy case foam?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »

This is going to sound old to some folks here... Did you try looking in the Indy Yellow Pages?

Foam is a fairly local product, and it's produced in or near most major cities, even retro-ass Wichita KS.  My guess is you can find it close by, with your fingers "walking."

The main caveats:  a given maker may not have the type you want in stock (production cycles); they have minimum orders that might seem excessive.  If you'll be building more cases or shock racks in the near future it will probably pay to just stock up, or you might want to find a couple more folks to make a quantity purchase with you.

Not too long back, someone posted an on-line source that *wasn't* Penn-Elcom or TCH.  You'll have to search for that one...

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:17:41 AM »

I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T

Mark Meagher

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 10:26:26 AM »

http://www.indycase.com/

Jake's a nice guy and will probably have exactly what you need.

Caveat: He may be less than thrilled that you're building instead of buying. Rolling Eyes

Life isn't a destination, it's a trip. Just keep your hands and feet inside the ride.

Steve Hurt

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »

Yes I have tried the yellow pages Tim.

Stuart, Thank you for the helpful link!  I'd totally forgotten about them.  I've used them before for studio foam and from a quick look, thay're as inexpensive as anyone I've found so far.

Mark, Last time I looked for foam, I called every foam place in the phone book and in the process found Indy Case.  I went down to the Stutz building and met Mark and he really is a very nice guy who makes great cases.  But as you said, he's really not interested in helping someone make the same thing he makes (and I can't say I blame him).  The prices he quoted me were higher than I could justify spending.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 01:05:34 PM »

Steve, I'm not being a dick about it, it's just that even in my podunk town I can buy foam, from one of several companies I found in the Yellow Pages.  You live in a "real city" and you're close to other "real cities."  It's perplexing that you can't find a local source.

Good luck with your search.

Tim Mc

"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

David Little

• http://www.dblittle.com
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 03:47:04 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Fri, 25 January 2008 13:05

Steve, I'm not being a dick about it, it's just that even in my podunk town I can buy foam, from one of several companies I found in the Yellow Pages.  You live in a "real city" and you're close to other "real cities."  It's perplexing that you can't find a local source.

Good luck with your search.

Tim Mc

+1 for foam by mail.

Tim, He may have the same problem I have here.

There are 3 foam supplier/manufacturers in Chattanooga TN. Only 1   - Vitafoam - would even take my call. I was building cases at the time so I was buying more than 1 or 2 pieces, but they would cut a one-off 1 piece to order if needed.

I quit building cases several years ago, but I thought I would add foam to my inventory last summer. I called my Vita contact but they couldn't sell to me unless I bought a truckload - new ownership.

When I look at my wholesale price and shipping from Penn and compare to foambymail with free ship on purchase over $50 it's a no brainer to just refer folks to foam by mail.

BTW: One thing I noticed about the foam I was buying local - although it looked, felt, and I was assured it was the exact product I specified I could rub my hand across the foam and build up a static charge about 10 times stronger than the foam I used to get from Penn. Just an observation - but something to consider when researching a supplier.

David Little

http://dblittle.com/catalog
http://www.dblittle.com/catalog/images/dblit310x90b.gif

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »

David-

Thanks for additional insight.  I guess there is something positive about our lil "Armpit on the Prairie" after all.

Tim Mc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.