ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: When to leave the MI realm and adventure to the Pro realm?  (Read 7776 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• http://www.meerkatsound.com
When to leave the MI realm and adventure to the Pro realm?
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:38:31 AM »

With Evan expanding as much as he is already has in the past 2 years and the future world tour… Tom hitting 1000 shows… Dave asking about Box Truck engines…

When are you considered to be at the "Pro" level of the Sound Business?

When does it happen?  Is it gear?  Is it the amount of shows?  Is it the size of your truck?  The bands you have worked with?

I know there isn’t a cut and dry answer to this, but when do you start considering yourself a pro or your rig as a pro system?
Find us on the web at: meerkatsound.com

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Minka Matikainen

Re: When to leave the MI realm and adventure to the Pro realm?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 07:44:13 AM »

This is extremely exaggerated comment and not meant to be taken literally.

But still, here we go...

A friend of mine once asked me: "How do you tell the difference between amateur and professional?" "I tried to mumble something out and he replied: "Professionals get paid for what they do."

I think that all of us, who are payed for doing sound are considered to be as professionals.

The difference is that the real "pros" have been doing it for a much longer period and I think that they are the guys (and gals of course) who are LIVING out of sound business.

So to answer your question, I would say that the guys (and gals) working only in SR business could be considered as "pros", although all of us who are payed are professionals...

Just my thoughts...

-Minka-
Digital vs. Analog, why bother...
When you're doing live sound, you want a living sound, so my preference is analog... ...Although my mind is changing slowly...

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:56:35 AM »

We are in the service industry, that is foremost. It starts with being professional about all aspects and details of the task at hand. You can be a "pro" with a set of EONS and one mic, if thats what the gig calls for, or a full blown v-dosc system. It's all about implementation, performance and in the end, meeting/exceeding the customer's needs ( a bit of corporate speak there ) Its not all about the gear, its about relationships with people, and providing what is required.

Of course, experience, the appropriate/good gear, and talent are all required to be successful.

Some may say that a part timer like myself (ankle biter, weekend warrior, what-have-you) may not be pro, I don't have a warehouse, a diesel box truck, or an accountant, but for the limited business I do, I provide a professional product, high quality service. I know (not being egotistical) I am as good as or better than, and am competitive with "pro" providers.

Mike
Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine

Steve Hurt

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:07:59 AM »

When you start considering return on investment when you buy gear instead of thinking "wow, more blinky lights per square inch!"

Bob Leonard

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:13:03 AM »

It's not the size of the gig, it's the sound from the rig.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Mark Walter

• http://www.axeman69.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 08:41:49 AM »

When it stops being fun.....

I feel that way about the music business in general.

A want to be an amature for ever.

Mark Walter
L.H. Productions, York Pa.

Caleb Dick

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 01:46:23 PM »

Mike Christy wrote on Thu, 24 January 2008 04:56

We are in the service industry, that is foremost. It starts with being professional about all aspects and details of the task at hand. You can be a "pro" with a set of EONS and one mic, if thats what the gig calls for, or a full blown v-dosc system. It's all about implementation, performance and in the end, meeting/exceeding the customer's needs ( a bit of corporate speak there ) Its not all about the gear, its about relationships with people, and providing what is required.

+1

I differentiate between amateur and pro based on service and expertise.  This is followed by gear, with the goal being simultaneously exceeding the client's needs and reducing their stress level.  

Gear is the rule of thumb, or yardstick, used to judge the expertise and service level by people who have not worked with said provider in the past.

As a business, at some point you will choose between ROI before fun, or fun before ROI.  Buying a Danley rig for small parties  Very Happy vs a rig that isn't your favorite because it will generate more income. Confused

Caleb

edit: added business perspective
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Matt Vivlamore

• http://www.meerkatsound.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 04:37:34 AM »

Mike Christy wrote on Thu, 24 January 2008 07:56

Some may say that a part timer like myself (ankle biter, weekend warrior, what-have-you) may not be pro, I don't have a warehouse, a diesel box truck, or an accountant, but for the limited business I do, I provide a professional product, high quality service. I know (not being egotistical) I am as good as or better than, and am competitive with "pro" providers.

Mike you’re just like me...

I do a have been sitting in this committee to help plan for a festival... They want a Pro Sound company; they consider me a hobbyist since I have a full time job. They also own a Dynacord Cobra 4 system and its lead by the 3 Stooges; the main operator is known as "Feedback Fred"...

They want to bring in a "national act" to play at this festival and they are looking for donations for a pro sound company to run the sound.

I told them give me that stage and the Dynacord system and you'll have your professional set-up for the national act. I think I might be losing this battle. So far this sign up for the festival of local bands, there been more request for me to run sound for them. I've only been going strong in my area for a little over a year, but I've been in sound realm since 2002 when I picked up a college job as a stage hand.  It also helps that I work with a bar for a year on no budget for sound bringing in national touring acts.

editted:  college seemed to make me spell bad.
Find us on the web at: meerkatsound.com

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Steve Hurt

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 07:19:51 AM »

Matt Vivlamore wrote on Fri, 25 January 2008 04:37

the main operator is known as "Feedback Fred"...

Laughing

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 07:22:59 AM »

Matt, Seems like some what of a perception issue, and hesitation of the check writers to take a chance. They are accountable for what service they buy. I hope to read more replies to your situation from others.

Since I too have a day job, I am not aggressive at all in driving my sound biz, Im very passive in that regard, and am as busy now as I like to be, well, most every weekend is busy enough.

I dont see anyone like AudioEast, a "pro" shop in my area, as a target for me to take business away from. I respect full time guys and I would not place myself in their path when it comes to bidding on jobs (they would have to be small jobs). I guess Im saying I know my place in the food chain.

But, on the other hand, your in a tough spot knowing you can possibly provide a better service than the current operators, and want to grow your business.

I dont know...

Mike
Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.