ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Z Bar Alternative  (Read 7096 times)

Phillip_Graham

Re: Z Bar Alternative
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 04:30:22 PM »

Thomas Bishop wrote on Mon, 21 January 2008 21:43

I work with a band whose guitarist plays through a 4x12 cabinet "permanently" mounted in a road case.  When the lid goes on it is only a couple of inches from the grill cloth.  I want to be able to mount a mic so that it can stay attached when the lid is on, but the typical Z bar is not an option since it would stick out too much.  Drilling into the case is not out of the question, so any suggestions you might have would be much appreciated.

Here is a very unorthodox suggestion, but I did use it once to good effect.

Take a Crown PZM 30d and tape it over the cone you want to mic.  Give it a stable phantom supply, and set the eq on the mic to "flat" and prepare to be surprised.

Its not right for guitars in every genre, but it will take the SPL, and it was great for lead tones on a fender twin where I tried it.  The PZM 30d does not have any proximity effect like a typical cardiod mic, so don't be surprised if it needs a little low end eq boost (try a low shelf starting about about 300hz).

PS, my situation was a stage volume situation.  We ended up placing the amp up against a road case, and then stuffed a blanket in a case lid, and sandwiched the mic between the amp grill and the lid/blanket combination.

Hope that helps!

SteveKirby

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 04:37:21 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Mon, 21 January 2008 22:53

What about a drum claw? That might be the ticket...

Evan

Depending on the cabinet the drum claw might not open up enough.  I did find an LP thing with a butterfly clamp that will hold on to the lip of my Bogner 1-12 (which has a similar thick lip to the Marshall and other 4-12 cabs).

It sticks out past the cab about 2.5" and has an offset rod and swivel that puts my 609 wherever I want it.  

Doug Fowler

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 10:42:50 AM »

Good man, Phill.

I will stick any microphone on any instrument just to see what happens.  The uses for the Crown PZMs seem to be never-ending.

They do pretty well at the base of a digeridoo.... :-)
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

SteveKirby

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 01:01:05 PM »

Doug Fowler wrote on Wed, 23 January 2008 09:42

They do pretty well at the base of a digeridoo.... Smile

That is an almost impossible "instrument" to reproduce.  I remember some guy bringing one into Blake's in Berkley one night.  They stuck a 58 on the floor in front of it and it boomed like crazy.  One note wonder.  Oh wait, the thing only makes one note anyway.  But the proximity of the end of the thing and the floor made a real mess.  A PZM actually makes sense.

Rob Ottaviano

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 06:34:13 PM »

Will this work?index.php/fa/13817/0/
It ain't the gear,it's the ear !!!

Jack Kontney

• http://www.kontneycomm.com
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »

What about just making a small metal flange and using the hardware from the Z-Bar? Or as Rob Timmerman suggested, just cut off the tail of the Z-Bar.
(insert clever wordplay here)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.