ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: driverack settings for ucs1  (Read 8568 times)

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: driverack settings for ucs1
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 12:47:47 PM »

Kevin Pippen wrote on Tue, 22 January 2008 12:14

For the horns I recommend:
Summed Mono @ Channel 3 (Low Left/Mono for DRPA)
HPF BW18dB/Oct @ 45Hz
LPF L-R24dB/Oct @ 105Hz
Gain +3dB

For the tops I recommend:
Stereo @ Channels 1 and 2 (High Left/Right for DRPA)
HPF L-R24dB/Oct @ 118Hz
LPF BS6dB/Oct @ Out (DRPA does not have LPF so it's out by default)
Gain 0dB

I'd try this instead:

Subs:
HPF: 40hz, BW/12dB
LPF: 95hz, LR/24dB

Tops:
HPF: 100hz, LR/24dB

That's what I ran on the unity stuff, and it sounded great. Throw 3-5mS of delay on the tops(until it sounds right), and you'll be ready to rock. You might want to do a +2-3dB boost around 50-60hz, if you want some extra low end. Play with it and see what you like.

Or, buy the Unity Processor, and it does everything for you. If you can live without limiters, it would be a smart move.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Adaryll Stephens

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 02:01:37 PM »

u guys are like audio gods!!! thanks alot...I am not a complete novice at SR but the driverack pa had some things that are a little tricky where setting up the unity system is  concerned...do you have any last words on peq for the subs and/or tops using the drive rack pa...
what shape?
what Q?
how much applied? cut or gain?
Frequency?

Kevin Pippen

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 02:45:54 PM »

Adaryll Stephens wrote on Tue, 22 January 2008 13:01

do you have any last words on peq for the subs and/or tops using the drive rack pa...
what shape?
what Q?
how much applied? cut or gain?
Frequency?

Hello Adaryll,

The previous suggestions should get you pretty much everything you need... At the very least it should get you down the right path... It would be very difficult to recommend PEQ parameters without RTA or listening to your system... However,...you could PEQ your channels individually for a flat response by using the following method... http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=953 After the first pass record the results adjust the PEQ for that channel and repeat... The goal after subsequent passes is to PEQ each individual channel until you get the flattest response from each cab...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you should get a UPS for your DRPA... It can deliver some nasty spikes if it looses power before your amps... If ever the opportunity presents itself get the DR260... In comparison to the DRPA it's like night and day...

Cheers!

Kev

turn on, tune in, drop out

http://www.teamaai.net/kevin/nipper.jpg
Hey Nipper,...we gotta have more cowbell!!!

Matt Vivlamore

• http://www.meerkatsound.com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 02:41:55 AM »

I went from trying to get the DSP set right for my U15/UCS1 combo... I had the Peavey VSX26 and I tried various parametric eq's.  I couldn't get the sound I was looking for, I couldn't get any punch out of the tops.  Everything seemed to be down and back.  I was almost to the point to sell the Unity system... but I bought a Unity processor.  That woke the boxes up and added alot of punch and clarity.  With the processor, the U15s turn into a Hi-Fi Rock-N-Roll top.

Since you have QSC amps now, try sticking to a Rear to Front cooling.  For running 4 UCS1, I would look at: PL380, PL6.0, Pro9200, CS4080HZ, or RMX5050.  If you had a rack of Crown amps I would say go for the iTech or AP6040, since they are front to rear cooling.

The Unity manual has a graph of the processor and how its set-up for the different selections.  You can try and dulicate that in the DSP.
Find us on the web at: meerkatsound.com

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Adaryll Stephens

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 10:29:16 AM »

DO YOU ALSO HOOK UP UR UCS1'S THROUGH THE UNITY PROCESSOR AS WELL?

ARE YOU BIAMPING YOUR U15'S AT ALL?

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE BASS COMING OUT OF THE UCS1'S WOULD IT BE THE KIND OF CHESS SLAMMING BASS THAT I AM LOOKING FOR?

WHAT DO YOU USE TO POWER UR UCS1'S?

THANKS IN ADVANCE MATT......

Kevin Pippen

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 10:33:59 AM »

Hello Adaryll,

No need to SCREAM!...Smile

Hey,...I didn't take biamping the U15s in to account... Is this your plan with the DRPA?...

EDIT:  http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216&sid=5848 96ae1bd04f44908a06855be81377

Kev
turn on, tune in, drop out

http://www.teamaai.net/kevin/nipper.jpg
Hey Nipper,...we gotta have more cowbell!!!

Matt Vivlamore

• http://www.meerkatsound.com
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 09:50:30 PM »

Adaryll Stephens wrote on Wed, 23 January 2008 10:29

DO YOU ALSO HOOK UP UR UCS1'S THROUGH THE UNITY PROCESSOR AS WELL?

ARE YOU BIAMPING YOUR U15'S AT ALL?

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE BASS COMING OUT OF THE UCS1'S WOULD IT BE THE KIND OF CHESS SLAMMING BASS THAT I AM LOOKING FOR?

WHAT DO YOU USE TO POWER UR UCS1'S?

THANKS IN ADVANCE MATT......

Yes I do run my UCS1 off the UP15 processor.  With the U15/UCS1 set-up I cross them at 90Hz and apply the 5msec delay.  I also have it set to "live" instead of playback.

The when the UCS1 are clustered together, they have a lot of thump.  A pair of them will work for about 250-300 people for modern rock styled music.  I can get the kick drum over the mix if I wanted to.  The one room I work in (250 cap), I haven’t had a problem with the bar feeling the vibes and they are 70 ft from the subs.

Currently I am running 2 PL236s on the system; U15s get a stereo PL236 with the volume knob turn back about 3-5 clicks.  The UCS1s are getting a bridged PL236 with the volume knob at 0.  

At the current moment I am not bi-amping the mains, that will be in the future.  I have everything set-up to do it, I just need an amp; I am looking at using a PL224 or PLX2502.  My future rig is going to be 4 U15s (2 per side) and 4-6 UCS1; a pair HF/MF horns powered with a PL224/PLX2502 per channel, each LF driver is going to get a channel on the PL236, and the UCS1 will be split to run off 2 parallel channels of a PL380.  The HF/MF is 8 ohm, LF is 4 ohm, UCS1s are 8 ohms. Yorkville recommends that you power the U15s with 400w at 8 ohm to the HF/MF and 1200w at 4 ohms to the LF, actually Yorkville states 750w at 8 ohm with the volume knob turned back 6 clicks on the AP4040 (Page 1 of UP15 Owner’s Manual).
Find us on the web at: meerkatsound.com

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 12:13:12 PM »

Adaryll Stephens wrote on Wed, 23 January 2008 10:29

WOULD IT BE THE KIND OF CHESS SLAMMING BASS THAT I AM LOOKING FOR?

Keep in mind that "Chest Slam" is not completely generated by subwoofer frequencies.  It it more the midbass that generates that sort of response.  For the "slam" you want, you really need both good subs and some beefy midbass from your tops.  What you are looking for is not completely dependent on the subs.  Make sure your eq is not hacking out too much midbass, you could be focusing your attention at the wrong frequencies.  Chest thump happens more in I would estimate the 60-160Hz range, partially dependent on individual body types.

With the full UCS1 and U15 combo you should be doing ok but you will notice a large improvement as you add more cabinets.  You may also want to consider clustering your subs as Matt has mentioned, that makes a large difference.  So does corner-loading the subs if the venue is suitable.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.