ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie Onyx users  (Read 4340 times)

Sean Hayes

Re: Mackie Onyx users
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 07:55:40 pm »

I recently put a 1640 in an install. I am (as well as the client) very happy with this board. I mixed a youth vocal concert on the boards first gig. It performed well and did everything that I asked of it. I found the sub groups to be very handy. Did not use more than one of the auxes for the gig but knowing they were there was very nice.

OP, you had mentioned wanting to put a multipin snake connection in this. All I have to say is that this is a VERY nice feature to put in a rig. It saves a lot of setup time.

Sean
Sean T. Hayes

justin sircus

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 08:51:54 pm »

Well, I did the measurements and the mixer rack I have only has 10 spaces available for the mixer, not enough for the 1640. I guess i'll try and grab a used 1604 VLZ. Not my first choice but it'll get me through the gigs and I can sell it after the series.

Justin Sircus
Buffalo NY

Josh Oswald

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 09:38:13 pm »

Justin,

Change your rack. You really build your system around your mixer, so get what you need in a mixer and get the rack that fits your needs. I'll probably be the first of many that will tell you that the VLZ 1604 is not in the same league as the Mixwiz and the Onyx as far and sound quality and functionality.

I've owned a 1604 before and it always served me well, but you will probably outgrow it very fast.

Either way, good luck.
Josh O
Evangel Temple Church
Montgomery, Alabama

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 12:58:05 am »

buy a new rack, don't go for the 1604.... there are enough bar bands in the world with that mixer.... I would not wish ribbon cable hell upon anyone again.

They are nice, and hold up well if you keep working the ribbons... but they are far from having alot of use.

a 1640 is a much better alternative.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Josh Oswald

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 09:44:04 am »

Justin,

I just saw this on the used section of Banjo Center's website. It's a used Mixwiz 16:2 for $600; not a bad deal if it's in good shape.
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=103 898490
Evangel Temple Church
Montgomery, Alabama

John Chiara

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 06:36:22 pm »

Adam Whetham wrote on Wed, 16 January 2008 00:58

buy a new rack, don't go for the 1604.... there are enough bar bands in the world with that mixer.... I would not wish ribbon cable hell upon anyone again.

They are nice, and hold up well if you keep working the ribbons... but they are far from having alot of use.

a 1640 is a much better alternative.

I agree..I've run into 2 1604's in the last few months and both had issues that would require disassembly to solve..they wear out.
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Tim Padrick

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 05:02:46 am »

I like the Onyx, but after working on some real PITA to fix gear, I want a console that can be repaired with reasonable effort.  So I'd have to go for the MixWiz.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.