ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How NOT to EQ  (Read 10083 times)

Pascal Pincosy

Re: How NOT to EQ
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 08:32:26 PM »

I often get asked by hobbyists to help tune their systems at small events. Usually, being more interested in having fun during my time off, I will just flatten out the EQ and hand control back to the owner, who is often amazed: "Wow it sounds so much better! What did you do?"  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Brad Weber

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 09:37:03 PM »

That's what bypass buttons are for!
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Caleb Dick

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 03:25:54 PM »

I mixed at a church once right after a Southern Gospel group.  The graph was a very extreme smile (never mind the old cheap Peavey system couldn't handle the slightest bit of sub-50hz or above-12.5khz).  I've seen many systems 'smile' at me after 'tuned' by others, but this one sounded bad beyond belief.  

Bypass button - I love you!  

Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 03:30:22 PM »

We had a music store in town that would "preset" your eq on a powered mixer for "free" Shocked

No kidding, they would adjust it for a perfect smile Sad

Why?  Because that is the way it is "supposed" to be adjusted.

OK then, why not just put a filter in there and not let the stupid end user "adjust" it?

There is no teaching some people. Rolling Eyes

Don't confuse me with the facts.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Joel Barry

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 05:43:40 PM »

Wow... I'm glad I'm 2000 miles away from whatever is coming out of that system Wink

Sam York

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 05:53:14 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sat, 12 July 2008 14:30

We had a music store in town that would "preset" your eq on a powered mixer for "free" Shocked

No kidding, they would adjust it for a perfect smile Sad

Why?  Because that is the way it is "supposed" to be adjusted.

OK then, why not just put a filter in there and not let the stupid end user "adjust" it?

There is no teaching some people. Rolling Eyes

Don't confuse me with the facts.

I was mixing in a crappy bar once, and the singer of a band who'd never played in there before, using a mic of mine I'd brought, strode over to my (side stage) desk before the set (no soundcheck, he hadn't sung a note into the mic) and turned the bass and treble up full on the mixer, and the mid down to about 9.00. 'That's how my vocal works' he said. Needless to say I put it back to what I thought was appropriate.

At periodic intervals during his set he'd come over and without my permission twiddle a few more knobs on the mixer, then go and sing the next song when everything was to his satisfaction. Except as soon as he turned his back I'd put it back. His girlfriend was sat near me absolutely wetting herself ('oh, he always does this - and everyone reacts like you do'!)

On a side note I stopped his set early because he was swinging the (my) mic round on the end of the (my) cable, after asking before the set whether he could do it and being told no, asking again, and being told that if he did it his set would stop immediately.

I guess some people are just born to be rock stars  Laughing

Eric Kuhn

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 06:58:55 AM »

Hmmm I dont use anything that goes to 20, or even 25 for that matter, so I dont even bother sending those to the amp rack. One needs to remember that if your boxes cant do it, dont waste the power in the amp rack.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.