ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I use the TC Electronics Triple-C with 01v96?  (Read 4855 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• http://www.meerkatsound.com
Should I use the TC Electronics Triple-C with 01v96?
« on: January 15, 2008, 08:30:04 AM »

I have a TC Electronics Triple-C; it’s a multi-band (3 bands) compressor with adjustable x-over points and it’s a stereo compressor, and I actually I have 2 of them. (no they are not for sale)

I was thinking about using the Triple-C to prevent spikes in the master mix.  I won’t be compression the entire mix down, but use it to prevent the clipping the amps.  I was going to set-up the cross-over points along with the USC1/U15 at 90hz and 250/300hz

Now for the signal chain; which way would you do it and why?

01v96 => Triple-C => Q231FX (EQ) => UP15 processor
OR
01v96 => Q231FX (EQ) => Triple-C => UP15 processor

Note: I use a 31 band EQ for Mains, I didn’t like using the parametric for FOH.  I use the Peavey Q231FX eq.
Find us on the web at: meerkatsound.com

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Anton Stjernbrant

• http://www.star-audio.se
Re: Should I use the TC Electronics Triple-C with 01v96?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 08:35:54 AM »

Get a DSP with limiters made for catching peaks.

Why are you close to clipping ? Is it possible your amps are too small?
"There is another benefit to living in Sverige other than the women who look good enough to cause cardiac arrest. Lab Gruppens for cheap. It's almost enough to offset the endless winters and suicidal tax rates." / Mike B

Matt Vivlamore

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:19:31 AM »

Anton Stjernbrant wrote on Tue, 15 January 2008 08:35

Get a DSP with limiters made for catching peaks.

Why are you close to clipping ? Is it possible your amps are too small?

I tried DSP, the Peavey VSX26, I couldn't get the sound I was looking for with it.  So I bought the little black box from Yorkville and the sound is unbelievable.

I am running a QSC PL236 for tops and PL236 bridge for subs.

This weekend, I should only be touch the -20 lights on the tops and blinking the signal lights on the subs.  But in the room of 250 people (110ft X 40ft, 14ft ceilings), I hit clip every once in a while; if I had 4 top boxes, I would have plenty of head room, but bar doesn't want to pay more.

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Gian P. Portanova

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 03:19:36 PM »

Matt,

Of the 4 built in FX, you can use one inserted in the main outs (or where-ever) and select the multi-band comp preset.  

Save a D/A-A/D conversion stage and now you can sell your Triple C!  

Keep it real!

Matt Vivlamore

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 06:20:34 PM »

Gian P. Portanova wrote on Tue, 15 January 2008 15:19

Matt,

Of the 4 built in FX, you can use one inserted in the main outs (or where-ever) and select the multi-band comp preset.  

Keep it real!

awesome... I learning more about the 01v96... hmmm, what will I know next?

The Triple-C are being moved to a small analog rig for a band I work with.

Rob Spence

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 09:03:16 PM »

If the bar won't pay for more rig, don't turn it up so far. If they want it louder, it costs more Smile
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Matt Vivlamore

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 10:05:03 PM »

Rob Spence wrote on Tue, 15 January 2008 21:03

If the bar won't pay for more rig, don't turn it up so far. If they want it louder, it costs more Smile

yea, true.. Who know what is going to happen within the next 2 months at this bar...

Matt Vivlamore

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »

Gian P. Portanova wrote on Tue, 15 January 2008 15:19

Matt,

Keep it real!

Gian and others,  I've been playing around with the Studio Manager, but 01v96 isn't hooked up. I was wondering if this is the correct way your suggesting me to do it.
Say FX4 is going to be my Multi Band Comp (M.Band Dyna. on 01v96).
On the Effects Editor page, I select FX4 and find the comp and recall it.
Now this is where it gets a little fuzzy for me.
I open the 'Patch Editor', select the Effects tab and select the routing to be: IN1 = INSSTL, IN2 = INSSTR, OUT1 = INSSTL, OUT2 = INSSTR.  On the 'Insert' tab the plot diagram should look the same.
Then I open up the "Selected Channel", and turn on the "Insert" button (glows light orange).  It also appears that I can also select the insert routing within the Selected Channel visual.
Question: 'Position' would you take is Pre EQ, PreFad, or Post Fad?  I am leaning towards PreFad.

Does anyone use any of these Comps in the FX Editor?  Comp260 (Looks like a DBX 160)? or the Comp276?  How do those perform over the basic comps in the comp section?  I was thinking of an "Insert" on lead vocals.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 06:04:06 AM »

I can't imagine why the Yorkie processor should sound so much better.  It's not doing a heck of a lot, at least not frequency wise.  There's a dip at 190 (IIRC) to take care of a peak (which can at least in part be tamed by a bit of stuffing in the cabinet), and a little frequency tailoring in the upper mid (which I remember being very simple as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.