ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: David Martin disappearance question  (Read 19411 times)

Scott Raymond

David Martin disappearance question
« on: October 20, 2007, 11:28:45 AM »

So I was talking with a friend the other night and Martin audio came up and he remembered ths story about David Martin.  So I did a search and found some late nineties articles about Colin James and his daughter trying to clear him of the murder and the witness that came forward and said he was involved, knew where David's body was buried and that Colin was innocent.  That's the last I could find about the subject.  So, what ever happened in that case and where does it stand today?

Tim McCulloch

Re: David Martin disappearance question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 02:54:22 PM »

David Martin is playing poker with Jimmy Hoffa, but I can't divulge where the game is.

Tim "go ask the Teamsters" Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Lew Veldas

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 04:09:54 PM »

Scott Raymond (Scott R) wrote on Sat, 20 October 2007 16:28

... So, what ever happened in that case and where does it stand today?

The body has never been found, and as far as I am aware Mr James is still in jail.

Dave Martin would have loved the Internet, and especially a site like PSW. But I'm not sure he  would have lasted very long in a moderated forum. He was prone to express his views and opinions in, er, shall we say, rather forthright terms. As befits somebody who was the stereotypical "crazy Aussie" and the stereotypical "mad boffin" rolled into one.

I don't know about playing poker with Jimmy Hoffa. More likely still arguing about bass bin design with Bill Kelsey.

R.I.P.

Scott Raymond

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 11:12:56 PM »

Thank You Dave!

The two articles I found were an interesting read but left me hanging as to the outcome.  

And Tim, I don't have to deal with Unions here.  I'll let you handle the Teamsters as you have Union experience.   Razz

Lew Veldas

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 07:18:32 AM »

Scott Raymond (Scott R) wrote on Sun, 21 October 2007 04:12

Thank You Dave!

The two articles I found were an interesting read but left me hanging as to the outcome.  

Here's the story in brief, as I remember it...

After selling his company to the TGI group for around 1.5M GBP (he stayed on as R&D director) Dave Martin was free to do a few of the things he'd always wanted to, one of which was getting a private pilot's licence. He bought an old Stinson 108-2 and learned to fly it.

Colin James, an old acquaintance of his and also a flying enthusiast, persuaded him to invest in a company trading in helicopter parts. Dave just put up the money but wasn't actively involved in the business.
After around 250,000 GBP had gone into this venture, he found there was no paperwork or accounts to show where or how the money had been spent.  Unsurprisingly, this caused a serious falling out with Mr James and after arranging a final meeting with him to try and sort things out, Dave Martin vanished.

His girlfriend became extremely concerned by his disappearance, but everyone else thought he had just decided to go visiting some far off corner of the world. You have to understand 1/ They only lived together at weekends and  2/ He thought nothing of hopping around the world at zero notice, usually to help somebody sort out a sound system. Indeed, I had been helping him with some plans for a sound system design for the Tokio Dome, and thought he had casually hopped off to Japan to have a look at the place - it was just the sort of thing he would do.

He was never seen again. The police investigation eventually came up with sufficient forensic and circumstantial evidence to get a conviction. It is generally thought that if Colin James didn't actually commit the crime alone, he helped somebody else do it and is taking the rap. I think there were only 3 other cases in Britain in the entire 20th century, in which a murder conviction was obtained without a body being found.

The story about a prisoner supplying details of a location turned out to be a red herring. The police excavated the site and nothing was found.

It also turned out that there is a very dodgy international black market in helicopter parts ... it doesn't take much imagination to see why. Poor old Dave had no idea, he thought he was investing in a legitimate business.

One of the police officers involved told me they had quite a few "spinoffs" from the case, including discovering somebody taking bribes to provide false C of A's. A bit worrying, if you live under a flight path.

Helicopters ? Just say no !

Dave Martin always had a fascination for vintage technology.

When I moved to London to work for him, I stayed in his spare room for a couple of weeks while I found a place to live. Most of the space was taken up with an impressive collection of vintage radio sets and a magnificent pair of Klipsch corner horns.  Other items of note were a very early RCA compression driver, and an EV 643 Cardiline microphone that was about 7 feet long and could be dismantled into several sections to fit in its transit case.

His home hi-fi was a pair of Quad ESL63's, correctly positioned halfway down his large living room. And his radio bench was equipped with an old National HRO as well as a Racal RA17.

He also had a collection of Bristol sports cars and would occasionally take a client for a hair-raising drive in one of them.

His last project was financing the restoration of a Hawker Tempest Mk2 aircraft (to the tune of around 300,000 GBP) but sadly he never lived to see it fly.

(edit: added picture)

David Little

• http://www.dblittle.com
Hoffa - Re: David Martin disappearance question
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 03:28:44 PM »

So there is an urban legend in Chattanooga TN about Hoffa.
Hoffa's second trial and conviction in 1964 was held here in Chattanooga.

After Hoffa disappeared - about the time Hoffa was declared dead in 1982 - a policeman that had been assigned to guard Hoffa during the trial purchased a whole block of old buildings downtown.

In the oldest building there is an abandoned freight elevator shaft. In the basement, at the bottom of the shaft half buried in silt from groundwater seepage, there is a huge old safe. It is big enough to hold 2 or 3 bodies and was obviously the last thing put in the elevator car before the wooden floor gave out. The safe doors are jammed by the fall and no one has bothered to cut or move the safe that I am aware of.

I have seen and touched the safe as late as 1995 - it does exist.
My first wife worked in that building until 1981, right before it was sold. She is positive the safe was not in the basement and that old elevator was still in use, albeit rated for freight only. She does not recall ever seeing a safe in the building.

Any way, after all this rambling the legend has it that Hoffa is in that safe and the fact that he now "resides" there made him "co-signer" of sorts for the mortgage...

David Little
http://dblittle.com/catalog
http://www.dblittle.com/catalog/images/dblit310x90b.gif

Scott Raymond

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 10:39:29 PM »

Amazing!

I never expected to hear from someone that actually knew Dave.  Sure sounds like someone I would of enjoyed talking with.  My Dad was a B-24 copilot in WWII (just got in on the tail end of the war) and I developed a love of aviation from him.  As to Stinsons you can find a lot of them restored over here.  Great old planes!  I see what you're saying about the helicopters but had never run across anything about the black market.  I even would of liked to learn to fly helicopters but they definitely have some critical parts that need to be kept within their design life and are expensive to own and maintain or even rent.  As it was I gave up getting a Pilot's license after about 25 hrs. because of cost.

The other sad part of the story is how Mr. James daughter changed her career path and pursued law to try and free her father and also incurred a lot of debt in the process.  That happened to be a large part of the articles I ran across.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.