ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dbx 1046 Quad Compressor  (Read 7814 times)

Josh Tabish

dbx 1046 Quad Compressor
« on: April 30, 2006, 07:11:46 PM »

Has anybody used this compressor? I'm looking to add a few more channels of compression. I already have four channels (two dbx 166's) but am looking to add a few more for toms, vocals, bass or whatever.

If this compressor is no good, do you have any suggestions?
NO: I do not have the funds for Distessors. lol, please don't suggest them.

Anyways, any suggestions and/or reviews would be great.

Jason Phair

Re: dbx 1046 Quad Compressor
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 09:13:07 PM »

It'll kick the shit out of your 166's.

Much better sounding.  I miss the attack/release control a bit, but I can live with that.
Jason Phair

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 11:53:12 PM »

This may be the most popular and affordable (perhaps one follows the other) single rackspace pro-level quad comp on the planet. For general-purpose "take this source and comp it" kind of work it's got everything you need, plus a handy dandy little limiter and pretty decent metering. I have two, I love them to pieces, they're the first piece of gear I reach for when I'm going on the road.

Jason is correct, the 1046 is a 10-series comp that is identical in functionality, although not control and features, to the 1066. It'll eat the 166 and 266 alive. The auto-compness of it is totally acceptable except for a very few sources, but that's what I have a 1066 for (think percussion). Guitars, vox, that sort of thing... you're good to go.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Jason Dermer

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 01:03:31 PM »

I agree 100% with Bennet on this one. Even at full retail of $500.00 for this unit nothing else comes close. My own rack has 2 of them, and I(and most BEs) use them on just about every show. Throw it at just about anything, and it just flat works. The only problems that I have ever encountered with them are:

1)The meters staying partially lit when passing no signal. One unit was fixed under warranty, and after a thread about the same situation popped up on the LAB about 6 months ago, I fixed the second myself rather than not have the unit for a month. IIRC, DBX has rectified the situation and newer units no longer have this problem.

2)If you are using compression as more of an effect, ie., really squashing the signal with a ton of makeup gain, don't use this unit. Any more than about 25db of reduction and they'll get crackly and or distorted. (of course, my rack does have an EL8, 2 160As, and 8 1066s to play these games. Nuke 'em in Brit mode!)
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.